What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
That probably doesn't bode well for other potential signings. Then again, we've gotta have quite a bit sitting in the bank at this point cap-wise... so may not be relevant at all.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Why would it effect other signings?

Ross is on a pretty modest amount and this is just an extention of that current deal, not an upgrade

perverse

Referee
Why would it effect other signings?

Ross is on a pretty modest amount and this is just an extention of that current deal, not an upgrade

It depends on whether they were planning to ship him to accommodate another contract or not. Use your imagination.

Spot On

Coach
Great stuff. Club obviously hasn't gone stupid when offering the new 2 year deal. Exercise the the 2017 option and see what happens. If he was 21 the 2 year offer probably would have been much more.

The fact is he'll be turning 30 in 2018.

I think it's the right way to go. Perfect really.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
It depends on whether they were planning to ship him to accommodate another contract or not. Use your imagination.

I still dont get why its relevant though

Weve gotten rid of plenty of dead wood recently and if we got rid of Ross we'd just be bringing in someone to the top 25 or another fringe player on the same money. His contract isnt worth very much by all reports.

perverse

Referee
I still dont get why its relevant though

Weve gotten rid of plenty of dead wood recently and if we got rid of Ross we'd just be bringing in someone to the top 25 or another fringe player on the same money. His contract isnt worth very much by all reports.

As I said, it depends on whether they were planning to ship him or not. They're not going to ship him if he's on minimum wage, there wouldn't even be a discussion about enacting his second year - it would be the obvious course of action and there needn't have been any discussion about it at all.

My perception of the situation was that the club was figuring out other salary cap signings/re-signings before deciding what to do with Ross. If it's as simple as you say, then I don't know why there was any discussion about it at all, nor why they waited this long to take the second year option. Under your perception of the situation, why did this not happen 3 months ago?

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Well the article said the club had offered him an extention beyond 2017 and Ross declined it. My guess is the expiry date for that deal had just ended, Ross hasnt been offered a better deal from another club and both parties have agreed to the 2017 option.

slotmachine

First Grade
As option was in clubs favour he was going to be here in 2017 regardless. Club offered him an extension to end of 2018 with small upgrade to 2017. The dawg obviously thinks he can make more $$$ by sticking with his original small 2017 contract and signing somewhere else on big money in 2018 and later.

Good luck to him.

perverse

Referee
Fair enough then, I stand corrected and my thought was stupid.

Good luck to him indeed, no-one is going to spend big on a 30 year old centre that's only played a year or 2 of grade. He would need to maintain remarkable form until mid next year at least. If the Raiders game is anything to go by, he might already be off the boil. Seems like a win for us, at least he's going to stay motivated.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think it's very premature to be making any judgements of Cogger and Lamb. I mean ideally they would have been playing under 20's all year this year and a full year of NSW cup next year, unfortunately we can't afford that luxury

Lamb really stepped up, i think (without the injury) he would have cemented himself a spot...

Im reserving judgement on Cogger.

In a way it's good for us that Ross only took a 1 year deal. Ross has said he has always been playing for a contract and he enjoys that challenge. He'll be doing the same next year. I doubt we will be able to afford him after next year but, by then, we may have developed more talent.

Spot On

Coach
Without knowing how much he will earn next year, I can't see many clubs forking out big dollars for him when he turns 30.

Spot On

Coach
Just hope Brown has stuck to his guns and is only paying him what he thinks he's worth.

I thought there was a lot of interest from other clubs??????

Latest posts