What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Yosh

Coach
That would be consistent with him passing off the responsibility of running back kicks & defending. He truly
is a protected species & more than justifies how the whole joint revolves around him. A big thanks to all the complete dicks who made all those decisions in the past that have brought us to this point.
Parr seems to be making the right moves already. Didn't he offload Ponga in the first place?

If we could get a good trade going and offload him to another club with the majority of his cap space, I'd be all in.

Parr seems to be making the right moves already. Didn't he offload Ponga in the first place?

If we could get a good trade going and offload him to another club with the majority of his cap space, I'd be all in.
Parr didn't offload Ponga, he undervalued him and lost him to Newcastle

Suggesting we offload Ponga is pretty silly too. Sure he's not the player we want him to be right now but we are in a far worse position without him.

Yosh

Coach
Parr didn't offload Ponga, he undervalued him and lost him to Newcastle

Suggesting we offload Ponga is pretty silly too. Sure he's not the player we want him to be right now but we are in a far worse position without him.

Yes... It worked out horribly for the Cowboys after a Ponga left. Totally.

Who said we would lose Ponga? I suggested a trade for assets.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Our last two signings actually make complete sense, as to where the side needs to get to. Parr may not be the fastest out of the blocks, but he sure knows how to bring a deal to the table which is required.

Old School

Juniors
Parr showed he had good judgement with Ponga, obviously can see past the flashiness & not much substance or grit & unlike the dills running the Knights was not willing to mortgage the farm & end up only being able to afford garbage in other positions like we have as a consequence.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Parr showed he had good judgement with Ponga, obviously can see past the flashiness & not much substance or grit & unlike the dills running the Knights was not willing to mortgage the farm & end up only being able to afford garbage in other positions like we have as a consequence.
He signed Jason T to a 10 million dollar deal. So he may have made keeping Ponga very difficult when they had the other JT on their books then as well. Not saying you are wrong.

Jono078

Referee
Our last two signings actually make complete sense, as to where the side needs to get to. Parr may not be the fastest out of the blocks, but he sure knows how to bring a deal to the table which is required.

yeah really gotta be happy with his moves so far. Has brought in a new support team for AOB.

Got rid of one of our highest paid players who I think we all agree probably wasn’t going to get a renewal here and it was in a position we have lots of money tied up in.

In return he probably got the best half possible for 2023 and beyond.

Now he’s unloaded one of our worst squad members, and I respectfully mean this from an ability perspective and not from an attitude or effort area.

And in return for that player he’s acquired a wrecking ball of a winger who isn’t perfect, but once again would have been one of the best possible options we could get here for 2023. This could see the end of Tuala who has served us ol as a winger but his deficiencies as a winger hurt the team whereas Marzhew may actually get us on the front foot, AND I won’t complain if Ponga avoids his return duties if it means he’s getting it to Marzhew.

Could say the above is an overreaction but it’s nice to be proactive and what I believe are positive smaller steps towards being better.

aqua_duck

Coach
Marzhew has defensive deficiencies for sure and is a little suspect under the high ball but in terms of carrying the football, tackle breaks, yardage, etc he's right up there with the best of them. I think it's a great move for us because Randall is below average and well down the packing order where as Marzhew could very well start for us in week 1

Old School

Juniors
I agree with all the comments that Parr has us heading in a better direction, but what I am dreading is that all of the new recruits will go the same way as nearly everyone who has signed here lately & go backwards in both performance & application. All players need good coaching whether they are an international or rookie & a lot of the current mob fall down in basics that under 10`s should know. It seems that coaching these days is all drills & paint by
numbers rubbish & its just assumed that if you are at the NRL level that you already know it all, well obviously plenty don`t. A coach is a lot of things & a teacher is one of them, so will someone please teach these guys how to play so that we have a team to be proud of again & if not Mr Parr can you please give O`Brien the flick ASAP & find someone who will.

macavity

Referee
Marzhew has defensive deficiencies for sure and is a little suspect under the high ball but in terms of carrying the football, tackle breaks, yardage, etc he's right up there with the best of them. I think it's a great move for us because Randall is below average and well down the packing order where as Marzhew could very well start for us in week 1

Agreed.

Marzhew gives us our first real yardage winger since when?

He is like a poor man's To'o.

If he applies himself and gets his confidence up he could be anything.

Jono078

Referee
Agreed.

Marzhew gives us our first real yardage winger since when?

He is like a poor man's To'o.

If he applies himself and gets his confidence up he could be anything.
I was thinking this just yesterday. McManus and Uate spring to mind. McManus was through pure volume rather than getting tackle break yardage.

Uate is the last to spring to mind.

PhilGould

Bench
It's not an exaggeration to say that Young/Marzhew are capable of being the best kick return & yardage play wing duo in the comp. Really just comes down to whether or not he can finally get to an at least passable level on defence. His career so far says it's unlikely but being in a new situation with new coaches and defensive game plans can make a big difference sometimes. Think Tuala probably still starts over him in round 1 if I had to predict right now.

3 years is probably a 1 more than ideal but he'd be cheap and I don't think we'd have any trouble finding a Super League club to take him on if needed.

Burwood

Bench
Big wingers are good, but useless if the opposition are putting up bombs in our half and they are getting gang tackled as soon as they catch the ball.

Burwood

Bench
But what winger is good in this situation?

Also, when making comments like this, just ask yourself - Would Tuala do it any better?

That’s my point- with our defence, it doesn’t matter how good our wingers are at kick returns. The second they catch the ball they’re going to be swamped.

If we can somehow force the opposition to kick from deep in their own half, than Young and Marzhew will be worth their weight in gold.

macavity

Referee
That’s my point- with our defence, it doesn’t matter how good our wingers are at kick returns. The second they catch the ball they’re going to be swamped.

If we can somehow force the opposition to kick from deep in their own half, than Young and Marzhew will be worth their weight in gold.

Elliott, Heatho and Jacko all added at least in part for defence. Add Gamble to that.

Yes... It worked out horribly for the Cowboys after a Ponga left. Totally.

Who said we would lose Ponga? I suggested a trade for assets.
Ponga left in 2017 and the cowboys went 13th, 14th, 14th, 15th then only this year have they turned it around

Are you seriously suggesting they turned around their awful form between 2021 and 2022 by letting go Ponga in 2018? Thats a serious leap there, even for you

Wow, this is some king sized revisionist history right there bud

Where did Kayln hurt you?

Latest posts