What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua_duck

Coach
From what I've heard we were utilizing our cap terribly.

I'm not convinced we were spending up to the limit.

If we managed to sign Myles and Boyd I'd be surprised but not shocked. We have never seemed to replace the players we lose in terms of value.

Last year we were right in the hunt for Luke O'Donnell and then Jeremy Smith and missed out on both and made no signings after that. I always wondered what happened to that money. Then we lost Cross who was on big bucks, and replaced him with House who would no doubt have been on a reasonable amount less.

Regardless, if the Dogs can recruit like they do every year then there should be no reason we can't.

Do any of our players qualify for long-service allowance next year that didn't this year? Tolar? How long has McManus been here?

As perverse has said, there is NO way a businessman heavily involved in the business world will jeapordise his reputation by getting involved in anything untoward. TSG are only too aware of what that would
mean.
Tolar would definately qualify, he's been at the club a long time. McManus and even Uate wouldn't be too far away either, Jimmy started here in 04 so should qualify next year, pretty sure Aku would be in the same boat

Agreed that Tinks will have everything watertight contract wise. Have faith. This man is brilliant and knows exactly what he is doing. Myles actually wantinf to be here will elevate the hardness of the pack big time. Nev, snowy and Myles r going to dish up the hurt.

Johns Magic

Referee
If Myles comes I will be pretty excited. Bennett could have him playing almost like he does in Origin on a weekly basis.

aqua_duck

Coach
Agreed that Tinks will have everything watertight contract wise. Have faith. This man is brilliant and knows exactly what he is doing. Myles actually wantinf to be here will elevate the hardness of the pack big time. Nev, snowy and Myles r going to dish up the hurt.

A pack with those 3 would be quite damaging. With House and hopefully Zeb doing their thing on the fringes, Snowden making 130m a game and Nev and Myles belting the opposition, Mullo will carve up

Johns Magic

Referee
Knights open negotiations to hang onto Hilder

BY ROBERT DILLON
13 May, 2011 04:00 AM

THE Newcastle Knights have kicked off talks aimed at keeping workhorse Matt Hilder at the club beyond the end of the season.

Hilder’s agent, Wayne Beavis, said staying with the Knights was ‘‘his preferred option’’ but negotiations were still at the preliminary stage.

‘‘As long as the term and the dollars are right, I’m sure that we can get the job done reasonably quickly,’’ Beavis said last night. ‘‘There has been a fair amount of confusion, as you can imagine, with the Tinkler takeover and everyone has been on the backburner a little bit.

‘‘But it’s now starting to take some shape and we’d hope the negotiations will accelerate from this point on.’’

Beavis said Hilder, who turned 29 two weeks ago, was hopeful of securing a three-year deal that would allow him to play out his NRL career with the Knights.

The utility forward has been an outstanding asset since joining Newcastle from the Gold Coast in 2008, playing in 72 of a possible 81 games.

He has missed only one game in the past three years and last season won Newcastle’s player of the year award.

Negotiations are well advanced with New Zealand Test centre Junior Sa’u.

Sa’u, who joined Newcastle as an unknown from Canberra in 2008, is expected to agree to a two-year contract as early as next week.

Knights officials say contract talks with hooker Isaac De Gois are a work in progress.

A host of other off-contract Knights face uncertain futures.

Wes Naiqama, Shannon McDonnell, Cameron Ciraldo, Marvin Karawana, Steve Southern and Keith Lulia remain free agents amid speculation linking the Knights to big names Darius Boyd, Nate Myles and Danny Buderus.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...negotiations-to-hang-onto-hilder/2161910.aspx

Joker's Wild

Coach
Waltzing would be on pretty small coin and is handy to have around.

From my understanding he and his family have settled well in Newie and he even completed his motorcycle mechanics apprenticeship there too.

Cant see him signing elsewhere

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Beau Champion has signed with the Titans for 3 years. Pretty confident that we'll get Myles then.

Would also love to keep Hilder. Even if he's not as good of a player as some of the others, he puts in so much effort and you can see he really enjoys his time at the knights.

Hilder is just like peden. A smallish bloke, what he lacks in size he more than makes up for with heart, commitment and work rate. IMO every team needs one of those no frills work horse players. They just get in there and do the dirty work.

Rod

Bench
Good to see Myles is only 25 years old, I thought he might be a bit older. Happy to sign him to a 4 year deal then as he'll have some great footy ahead of him.

Not to say I wouldn't be ecstatic if we signed Boyd but I'd almost prefer us to secure Myles first. He'd provide some great steel to our pack, would be great to see him, Costigan and House working in tandem. And our spine is going to look solid whether we sign Boyd or not.

RABK

Referee
Well aware of that, but he doesn't look too smallish. He is like a peden though.

otori

Juniors
Hopefully Bennett will instill a real competition for spots in the pack if Myles signs. Cook and Tetevano deserve the chance to usurp under performers in our current team for bench spots. I'm keen to see players like Paterson and Tolar get told shape up or ship out. I don't even think Kaufusi will get a game next year.

Hilders what, 185cm 96kg? You must be a giant CH.

Nah, I am only 75 kgs. But my weight can fluctuate up to 88kg at times.

But considering that a lot of wingers these days are 90kgs + IMO he is a tad light on compared to other forwards.

Yosh

Coach
I think Hilder should be kept on the books. Don't know if he'll be able to make our top 17 week in week out but wants to stay and always puts his hand up to do the tough stuff. WB loves the Dallas type players.

Tahu is toooo injury prone. Not worth it.

Johns Magic

Referee
WB loves the Dallas type players.

What are you basing that on?

He's liked heavy hitting locks for as long as I can remember.

Carroll, Costigan, Jeremy Smith, Matt Prior.

He had a Dallas Johnson type lock in David Stagg and chose to play him in the backline most of the time.

We're now chasing Myles who is another heavy hitting lock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts