What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex28

Coach
Salary cap is rumoured to be heading to 7m in 2013.

I'll call it now, either SBW or Falou will be a Knight in 2013.

See...the only flaw in this amazing plan to fit every premium player in the competition under this amazing $7 Million salary cap is...other players are going to want a payrise as well. No matter how amazing Tinkler and Bennett are, they aren't going to be able to convince a player on say $250K a year, or around 5% of the salary cap that they should stay on $250K a year so we can pay SBW or Folau $1 Million to come to the club and stay under the cap. That player will want to stay at 5% of the cap and get the extra $100K they feel they deserve.

As the cap goes up, so will salaries - whether they be base, average or premium players. This amazing cap increase is not going to get us any of those players alone.

Not that we are going to get the amazing TV deal that everybody hopes. Commercial TV (now that Channel 7 has paid way too much for AFL) can't afford the figures that everybody expects we should get.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
See...the only flaw in this amazing plan to fit every premium player in the competition under this amazing $7 Million salary cap is...other players are going to want a payrise as well. No matter how amazing Tinkler and Bennett are, they aren't going to be able to convince a player on say $250K a year, or around 5% of the salary cap that they should stay on $250K a year so we can pay SBW or Folau $1 Million to come to the club and stay under the cap. That player will want to stay at 5% of the cap and get the extra $100K they feel they deserve.

As the cap goes up, so will salaries - whether they be base, average or premium players. This amazing cap increase is not going to get us any of those players alone.

Not that we are going to get the amazing TV deal that everybody hopes. Commercial TV (now that Channel 7 has paid way too much for AFL) can't afford the figures that everybody expects we should get.

This is a good point. I have a feeling that a lot, if not all players have written into their contracts that if the cap rises, then their value will go up also.

Alex28

Coach
All I am saying is that hindsight is great when it comes to injuries? Don't you agree? I mean what if Macdougall played 20 games this year and played with the great form that he demonstrated last year? as I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing, whether I use Johns as an example or not..

Keep referring to me as the "biggest dick" if you must. I'd rather be the biggest dick than to make stuff up. But hey, that's where my morals lay...

Prior to this season he played 186 games in 15 seasons. Average 12.4 games a season. If you want to count the 22 game suspension that we stuck by him through only for him to leave us a few seasons later, that's about 13.2 games a season. He averages half a season every year that he plays, yet he commands a full salary. Do you think he is worth around $11,000 a game?

He has shown in the past that he is more likely to sit out a game rather than play injured for us. He is now one of the oldest players in the competition, and more likely to be injury prone. At some point we have to say "when is enough enough?".

We took the easy option and gave Doogs a decent superannuation payment rather than go and look for a centre with some experience.

So...to answer your question...by your own admission Doogs was never going to play 20 games a season for us. In fact history suggests he was more likely to play around half of that. Also, if he showed some decent form he would be likely to try and screw another year out of us. Thank god that wont happen - mind you Tinkler seems to want to reconstruct the 2001 premiership team so never say never...

As for morals...you seem more likely to argue and belittle rather than debate. Morals...

Alex28

Coach
This is a good point. I have a feeling that a lot, if not all players have written into their contracts that if the cap rises, then their value will go up also.

Any player with any sort of management is going to say at the next contract re-negotiation "the salary cap has gone up 40%, so my contract should go up by 40% just to stay level with my equivalent salary under the old cap, plus I deserve an upgrade so really it should go up by 50%".

So the guy on $250,000 per year will actually be more likely to command $375,000 per year next contract.

Paying stupid money for the star players whilst keeping the rest of the squad isn't going to happen just because the salary cap is going up.

RABK

Referee
I wasn't ignorant to this point Alex but i'm also not ignorant enough to think NRL clubs will allocate the entire extra 2.75 million in upgrading their entire squads pay percentage. I think they'll all get raises, the minimum wage will be lifted and 5 players will be added to each squad but most clubs will keep a million dollar war chest.

perverse

Referee
i've read before that star players have it written into their already existing contracts that their salary is $xxx,xxx OR x% of the salary cap (whichever is higher). i don't know if it was just speculation, but it made sense to me at the time (particularly for blokes signing contracts worth $300k+).

Rolla

Juniors
Not should anybody really knows.... There should be enough for some more spending though.

Serc

First Grade

The other angle on this is that while Seven may have paid overs for the AFL, once they have decided what games they will/won't onsell to Nine and Ten, they can do their sums and really try and drive Nine into the ground over the NRL rights. They know that Nine must get most of the NRL games or they will fall way behind. From a business point of view (not necessarily because they are 'friends of RL') they will want to make Nine pay as much as possible for the NRL rights, because they (Seven) are cashed up big time at the moment, and Nine are running a little close to the breadline. Not to mention that Packer pulled a swifty on Seven for the AFL rights last time which forced them to pay overs back then! And apparently Seven's CEO (Leckie? i think thats his name) is a big RL fan.

Most of my info here is gleaned from reading the poster 'docbrown' on here who is very cluey about these things - apparently he is also a Knights supporter and comes in here a bit, so if he reads this he might throw in his 2c.

Last edited:

rnb11

Juniors
Knights could top Titans for Myles

THE Newcastle Knights have emerged as a major threat to the Titans' hopes of snaring Nate Myles after tabling a $1.4 million deal for the Queensland Origin forward.

D-day is approaching in the Myles contractual saga, with the Roosters backrower or prop yesterday rejecting overtures from the Parramatta Eels.

Myles, who is contracted to the Roosters next season on a $400,000 deal but has been given permission to negotiate to ease the Bondi club's salary cap pressures, will decide on Wednesday whether to join the Knights or the Titans.

Gold Coast were initially favoured to secure Myles. But with the Titans attempting to find room for the Maroons hardman in their salary cap for next season, Myles is understood to be leaning towards the Knights, who have tabled a four-year deal worth an estimated $350,000 a season.

Myles has the option to remain at the Roosters next season, but the bumper offer from Newcastle and the arrival of master coach Wayne Bennett next year has put the Knights firmly in the box seat.

The Titans, however, are not giving up hope. Their initial offer was a three-year term starting in 2013, but Gold Coast boss Michael Searle is attempting to find scope within the cap to accommodate Myles from next season.

Gold Coast's present offer is believed to be about $400,000 shy of Newcastle's formal proposal, a fiscal gap the Titans may struggle to bridge after recently signing Bulldogs sensation Jamal Idris and Cronulla prop Luke Douglas to lucrative deals.

The Titans also retained prop Luke Bailey on Wednesday, although the club will farewell Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Nathan Friend (Warriors) and Brad Meyers (retirement) at season's end.

Myles's manager Gavin Orr said last night the 25-year-old would make a decision after the Roosters' clash with Cronulla on Sunday.

"We've finished talks with the clubs," Orr said.

"Nate has some time off after the weekend and he will sit down with me and decide which way he's going."

After announcing the departure of Laffranchi last week, Titans boss Searle was tight-lipped about the prospect of signing Myles.

On Monday, the Titans withdrew an offer to another potential target, Darius Boyd, after an agreed deadline between the club and the St George Dragons star lapsed.

"From our point of view, our focus was trying to retain (Laffranchi). We have got a fixed salary cap that we can work with and some of these things will play out in the next two to three months," Searle said.

"Every player is out there negotiating a position so there is no certainty in regards to what we do from here. We have some good young kids coming through to look after as well.

"Whether we accelerate the development of our juniors or go out and recruit will be something we decide.

"It (the loss of Laffranchi) will free up a little bit (of money) but not a hell of a lot. We have to be able to replace someone of his quality and that's not easy," Searle said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/knights-could-top-titans-for-myles/story-fn6ck6f9-1226054916518

RABK

Referee
f**k, we must have/had a shitload of cap space or we are doing some serious backending.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'd say being able to get 3rd party deals would help alot, if there was a time to backend I guess this would be it with the scheduled cap rise to kick in

RABK

Referee
Anyone else think Tahu might be able to offer one last quality stint as a centre if bennett wanted him?

I always felt T was a young guy who went off the rails and burnt bridges and thus let his ability go to waste in his prime. But i feel he might be able to find redemption back home and go out on a positive.

If we are short on centres i would welcome T back under Bennett. I think a rep quality player still exists in him if focused.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I was under the impression that this years team took up the entire cap, so how are we able to sign all these players on large contracts when we aren't really losing any players that are taking up much cash? I was under the impression that 3rd party moneys had a cut off somewhere between 250K-500K. Could be wrong though.

Johns Magic

Referee
From what I've heard we were utilizing our cap terribly.

I'm not convinced we were spending up to the limit.

If we managed to sign Myles and Boyd I'd be surprised but not shocked. We have never seemed to replace the players we lose in terms of value.

Last year we were right in the hunt for Luke O'Donnell and then Jeremy Smith and missed out on both and made no signings after that. I always wondered what happened to that money. Then we lost Cross who was on big bucks, and replaced him with House who would no doubt have been on a reasonable amount less.

Regardless, if the Dogs can recruit like they do every year then there should be no reason we can't.

Do any of our players qualify for long-service allowance next year that didn't this year? Tolar? How long has McManus been here?

As perverse has said, there is NO way a businessman heavily involved in the business world will jeapordise his reputation by getting involved in anything untoward. TSG are only too aware of what that would mean.

We have significant offers on the table for both so we've obviously got room to move.

I think depending on if we get them then that will depend on wether or not we keep, Junior and DeGois .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts