What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnb11

Juniors
Craig Gower heading to Knights
By BRETT KEEBLE June 4, 2013, 11 p.m.

The Knights have secured the services of the premiership-winning former Penrith captain for the rest of the season to cover the loss of captain Kurt Gidley to a long-term foot injury and lingering doubt over the fitness of veteran hooker Danny Buderus.

Gower was contracted to English club London Broncos until the end of 2014 but he said he had negotiated a release from the Super League cellar dwellers, clearing the way for him to join the Knights as early as next week.

Speaking to the Newcastle Herald from London on Tuesday night, Gower was confident he could still compete in the NRL, despite leaving the Australian game at the end of 2007, and said Knights coach Wayne Bennett would bring out the best in him.

‘‘I asked for a release here and Wayne got in contact with my manager and I got a text from him yesterday morning, so I had Wayne’s number and gave him a call and everything’s gone pretty quickly after that,’’ Gower said. ‘‘I only spoke to Wayne yesterday, I secured the release here last night and pretty much that was it.

‘‘I’ve been away from the game there for a few years, and obviously I’ve been playing footy here. But it’s not like the NRL, so that’s the way I’m approaching it, that it’s going to be one of the biggest challenges of my career.But there’s no one better to do it under than under Wayne, and I’m sure he’ll get the best out of me.’’

The Herald understands the Knights and Gower have agreed in principle and the club is expected to formally announce the deal as early as Wednesday, but gave little away in a statement posted on their website last night.

‘‘Following a number of media enquiries linking Craig Gower to the Newcastle Knights, the club can confirm they are in discussions with his management. Should there be any further developments, the club will provide another update at that time,’’ the statement read.

Gower said he hopes to arrive in Newcastle by next Monday with a view to training on Tuesday, and making himself available to play against Melbourne at AAMI Park on June 16.

It is understood the contract will be for the rest of this season, though there is a possibility it will include an option to allow both parties to reassess the situation at the end of the year with a view to a 12-month extension.

Like Buderus, Gower is 35 and is at the tail-end of his career, but Bennett clearly believes he has something to offer. Buderus has had two operations on his lower back this year and is no certainty to play out the season, and Gidley is not due back until the final third of the season after tearing a tendon in his foot last month.

Sources with knowledge of the Gower negotiations have told the Herald that Bennett wanted to sign him as an insurance policy to cover the possibility of losing one of the Knights’ remaining playmakers or dummy-halves.

Because Gower plays halfback, five-eighth or hooker, he would provide leadership and experience in case the Knights lost Jarrod Mullen, Tyrone Roberts, Travis Waddell or Adam Clydsdale to a season-ending injury.

Gower stepped down as Broncos captain last Thursday, then two days later they squandered a 30-16 lead with 16 minutes remaining against Castleford and had to settle for a 30-30 draw.

Including their 2003 grand final upset of the Roosters, Gower played 238 games for the Panthers between 1996 and 2007. He played 18 Tests for Australia and six Origin games for NSW.

Gower switched to rugby in 2008 and spent four seasons playing in France for Bayonne, which led to 14 Tests for Italy, then he returned to league with London in 2012.

He is expected to represent Italy at the Rugby League World Cup in England and Wales this year.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1550369/craig-gower-heading-to-knights/?cs=306

Yosh

Coach
Wow... Just wow... WB pulling the strings. Ain't Sonny Bill but a good buy none the less. Will be on peanuts and offers plenty of experience.

If we had Gower, Kurt and Bedsy all on board the hooker half combos all of a sudden become very interesting. Kurt or Gower could play the utility role off the bench with Beds starting in the 9.

Besides being a cover for injured players I reckon Gower might have impact as a utility off the bench.
I'm saying that thought seeing him play for a while.

A promising buy. Gives confidence in how serious we are about this season.

rnb11

Juniors
I have a funny little feeling we're going to see a very similar team to this one next weekend. Akuila, Scott and Bedsy are ready just depends if they give the last 2 until after the bye and word going around is Gower will start in the halves and not play hooker...

1. Darius Boyd
2. James McManus
3. Dane Gagai
4. Joey Leilua
5. Akuila Uate
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Craig Gower
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Willie Mason
11. Beau Scott
12. Robbie Rochow
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Adam Clysdale/ Tyrone Roberts
15. David Fa'alogo
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Korbin Sims

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
I have a funny little feeling we're going to see a very similar team to this one next weekend. Akuila, Scott and Bedsy are ready just depends if they give the last 2 until after the bye and word going around is Gower will start in the halves and not play hooker...

1. Darius Boyd - 175 games
2. James McManus - 121 games
3. Dane Gagai - 27 games
4. Joey Leilua - 63 games
5. Akuila Uate - 101 games
6. Jarrod Mullen -156 games
7. Craig Gower - 276 games (SL+NRL)
8. Kade Snowden - 127 games
9. Danny Buderus - 327 games (SL+NRL)
10. Willie Mason - 245 games (SL+NRL)
11. Beau Scott - 149 games
12. Robbie Rochow - 22 games
13. Jeremy Smith - 146 games

14. Adam Clysdale/ Tyrone Roberts - 1 game/37 games
15. David Fa'alogo - 209 (SL+NRL) games
16. Adam Cuthbertson - 116 games
17. Korbin Sims - 8 games

2,305 top level Rugby League games experience in that squad....

Why would you drop Roberts over gower? Won't do the kids confidence any good.

Does Wayne see Roberts converting to hooker?

I wonder what the grand plan is. I'd love to be able to read Wayne's mind. It's like he is moving all his pieces into position like a game of chess. I guess we just have to be patient and wait for the end result.

RHCP

Bench
Wayne was desperate to fit Tyrone into the side at the start of the season.

I think Bedsy's injury is a lot more serious than he is letting on. I cannot envision a situation where we would need Gower, Bedsy, Gids, Roberts, Clydesdale and Waddell all on our books.

Jono078

Referee
I thought so. This is Buderus' last year with us and I think Bennett is going to try his best to make him go out on top. Gower will be the best halfback we've had since Johns, without a doubt.

He'll provide so much to the team and help Mullen out immensely. Might not have the dummy and line break ability of Roberts any more, but he has the smarts and leadership, and might open up Mullen's running game.

Hope they can form a good combination quickly!

For all the other clubs bagging us for signing a 35 year old halfback can i just remind people of what happened when Bennett recalled a little then 34 year old veteran for origin in 2001. He destroyed the Blues and won the series. Good old Alfie.

Swarzey

Bench
I HATE the slack we get for signing older players. I really don't see age as an issue if they're playing good football. Gower is a bit of a risk considering how long he has been out of the NRL however, he was always a great, great player for Penrith and I think with his experience, he'll do well for us.

Rolla

Juniors
It really isn't a problem in rugby league. There is no Re-sale factor like in 'soccer' so it is about what a player can bring to the team then and there.

RABK

Referee
For all the other clubs bagging us for signing a 35 year old halfback can i just remind people of what happened when Bennett recalled a little then 34 year old veteran for origin in 2001. He destroyed the Blues and won the series. Good old Alfie.

No not good old alfie. f**k that little QLD merkin. Praise him again and i'll have you banned.

LOL RABK! Didn't realise the garden gnome wound you up so badly. No more references mate. Too funny. Do you two have history?

Last edited:
Figured as much! I think RABK summed up the feelings of NSW supporters from the late 80s to the end of the 90s.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Not a rumour, but what do you think of a player like Josh Perry coming back to the club next season? His 3-year contract with St Helens finishes this year and a one year swan-song in Newcastle might be something that both parties like the sound of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts