What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Speaking of hookers, I noticed this article on the QRL website about Kurt Baptiste. From memory Wayne was pretty keen on him last year

IN ANOTHER blow to a Broncos feeder club, impressive Norths Devils hooker Kurt Baptiste is all but certain to move to a Sydney NRL club for 2014.

Penrith are also the favourites to snare Baptiste who is currently injured but has not got a look in at first grade with the Broncos for 18 months.

The Cowboys are a long-odds chance to snare the talented rake but have shown some interest.

Baptiste was on fire for the Devils in the opening rounds of this season until a shoulder dislocation curtailed his season.

He would be a great pick up for any NRL team.

Linkidink

The Broncs must be paying serious money to Hannant, Hodges and Thaiday. These kids they are letting go are the talented ones. I am starting to see why Wayne won't pay overs for players. It is just far too risky if you lose a major part of your structure or more importantly a kid like Korbin comes along and is not going to be retained cheaply. They might mock Gower's age in football terms but I reckon there are about 15 other clubs who would be thinking he would go alright on their books while being paid peanuts. A former international and premiership winning halfback who is an active 80 minute player in England is not exactly a major risk. He would know if he was going to make a goose out of himself. I am really intrigued by his return.

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade
Penriff...WTF? With Kevin Kingston and James Segeyaro on board there is no way Baptiste would get a look in ahead of those two. He'd be no better off than he currently is at the Broncos.

Cowboys on the other hand I can completely understand. They don't have a first grade hooker and it's killing them. Parramatta could also use a decent hooker of Baptiste's calibre to replace Matt Keating. Same thing goes for Canberra because lets face it Glen Buttriss isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

As for us, it comes down to a simple question. Do we go after Kurt Baptiste as our long term hooker solution or do we show faith in Adam Clydesdale? There can be only one.

Nuffy

Bench
Wonder if Baptiste has put a call into Benny, because he knocked him back last year.

I'd try and get both because you never quite know how things will play out.

timka4

Bench
Dont understand penrith either, segeyaro is an amazing player, sure he could play 80 and not just bet set be a bench impact hooker

Have been told reliably Wayne is watching Tamou situation very closely. don't need to be a genius to guess who will be the swap if it is true.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yeah, not sure who the logical swap would be if Tamou were released to us. Sims is under contract for two years and I'm not sure I'd trade him out for Tamou given the guy has behavioral issues.

RHCP

Bench
I think the obvious choice would be Snowden if he was trying to offer a player to Nqld, if you factor in the price of their respective contracts. No way the Cowboys would 'swap' a player on the coin Tamou is on for Korbin.

If Wayne swaps Sims for Tamou it would be very short sighted indeed
Totally agree. I told said source that it would only work if we offloaded Snowden and even that now, would look daft given he may well replace Jimmy Tamou if Woods doesn't get the nod. I will just add this source is still close to the club's inner dealings but by the same token a tad cryptic. Answers a question with a question. I more or less guessed and he has a terrible poker face. I would suggest that picking Woods is a bad idea simply because Snowden has been there already and we are so very close to winning this series. Woodsy is only 22. No need to rush him yet.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Why would Wayne want to swap an expensive prop who is performing for another expensive prop who is not? That makes even less sense

RHCP

Bench
Why would Wayne want to swap an expensive prop who is performing for another expensive prop who is not? That makes even less sense
I don't think Wayne wants to lure Tamou at all tbh, but for the Cowboys to accept any kind of prop 'trade' I doubt they would want any one but Snowy.

Nuffy

Bench
Forget Tamou, that issue is now resolved.

We need a backrower who can break the line.

With the cap increase, players can get more money and not leave the club they are at, so its making it harder to entice players to change clubs.

ryana87

Juniors
with fergo most likely facing the sack from raiders....would anyone around here be keen to sign him?.....dugan is doing wonders over at the dragons......fergo to replace BJ would be fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.