What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballbag

Juniors
Likiliki gets a lot of attention in the NSW cup.
In the game against Balmain last week they were sweating on him getting the ball so 2 or 3 of them could go for him. They were calling his name out when it looked like the ball was going his way and daring him to have a run.
In the early part of the game he had several strong runs where he struggled against a heap of defenders to make a few metres, but he was buggered by halftime.
He isn't scoring tries, but other teams still think he is our most dangerous player - meanwhile, they take Williams lightly and he scores every time he gets to go one on one with a defender - which is at least once a game at the moment.
Thats called video review

billy2

Juniors
Thats called video review
At least part of it is because he wears the 23 jersey and so obviously fancies himself to break the line.
Opposition's probably think he comes across as a complete knob.
They all want to put a good tackle on him.

Serc

First Grade
Stone said the Knights were close to signing rookie Dragons centre Alex McKinnon.
The Aberdeen Tigers junior scored two tries in his NRL debut on Friday night in the Dragons' 28-14 loss to the Titans.
McKinnon, 19, is said to be keen to sign with the Knights to be closer to his family, and Stone said Newcastle were happy to oblige.
"He's one of the better players in the Toyota Cup [under 20s] and obviously coming from the region he has some ties here, so I know there was discussions even before Wayne [Bennett] made his decision to come to the Knights," he said.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...backs-tyrone-to-fill-beau-breach/2192737.aspx

aqua_duck

Coach
Just looking at McKinnon's stats in NYC, the kid is a beast, has played backrow all year, and his worst effort in terms of metres gained was 98m, every other game he's cracked atleast 100, a few 150's, and even a few around or over the 200m mark. Just looking at his stats you'd think he was a Paul Gallen clone

Aqua make your mind up mate. Is McKinnon a Beaver or Gallen clone? A hybrid of both and he will be unstoppable in a sense. A wide or tight running beast.

aqua_duck

Coach
Well in terms of his rangy build and his wide running you'd say Beaver but his stats at NYC level are extraordinary, like we're talking half a dozen 150m+ games. So I'd say Beaver Menzies with Paul Gallen's workrate

For what its worth, I had a dream last night that we had bedsy, and was playing as the starting hooker.

I also predicted the demise of Steve Irwin though a dream about him the previous night before he died.

Bedsy will be here and the starting hooker.

Perth Knights

Juniors
For what its worth, I had a dream last night that we had bedsy, and was playing as the starting hooker.

I also predicted the demise of Steve Irwin though a dream about him the previous night before he died.

Bedsy will be here and the starting hooker.

Can you have a dream about signing some quality props and perhaps a 5/8 for next year.

Signing Bedsy will turn out to be a bad dream ... unfortunately, he is way past his prime.

ballbag

Juniors
Signing Bedsy will turn out to be a bad dream ... unfortunately, he is way past his prime.
He will give the attitude edge saints had last year with Jeremy smith. He will be first to training last to leave and will try and win every contest there is Wayne will tell the young blokes this is how you do it

Nuffy

Bench
I watched him last night in the exiles game and his service was okay, he didn't run from dummy half and whilst he made a lot of tackles in the middle, he fell off quite a few and had a bad miss against James Graham in the middle of the ruck which lead to the first English try.

He's not the player he was and we'll do well to remember that.

Nuffy

Bench
Bedsy's distribution is still better than De Gois

That may be the case, but if he's not going to run consistently then its one less thing for the defence to think about.

Anyway, lets wait and see, I'm not going to doubt Bennett and his plan but I'm not going to expect Bedsy to be the player he was 3 yrs ago.

Perth Knights

Juniors
He will give the attitude edge saints had last year with Jeremy smith. He will be first to training last to leave and will try and win every contest there is Wayne will tell the young blokes this is how you do it

BB ... attitude may be the only thing we get out of Buderus then, cause from what I've seen watching the ESL he certainly is not playing to the standard that he used to at the Knights. Waste of money and spot on the Knights roster IMO. Far better to get him back, if necessary, in a coaching capacity.

Byron Knight

Juniors
I've not seen him play for a while but is he playing to the standard of those around him or is he just looking slow personally? Bit of a difference between the 2. We know how much of a competitor he is, maybe if the game is quicker around him he will pick up his game pace too? From how you guys have seen him play recently, is there a possibility of that being a valid point?

billy2

Juniors
We all know he has a massive heart and will deliver when we need him to.
The trick will be not to use him up like we did for the last year or two he was at the Knights.
If he does the training we know Bennett will have the boys doing, he can deliver 20 or 30 minutes of top quality work - but if we try to use him for 80 he will end up on the injury list in no time - because the guy will try to play hard for 80, despite not being up to it.

Perth Knights

Juniors
I've not seen him play for a while but is he playing to the standard of those around him or is he just looking slow personally? Bit of a difference between the 2. We know how much of a competitor he is, maybe if the game is quicker around him he will pick up his game pace too? From how you guys have seen him play recently, is there a possibility of that being a valid point?

BK ... My guess is no, but I am sure others will have a different opinion to mine. If you have a look at the players that have come back to the NRL this year i.e. Maguire, Berrigan, and Riddell etc they have all generally struggled with the speed and hardness of the modern game.

Having watched Buderus closely, particularly after the rumours about him coming back to the Knights, he certainly ain't the player he used to be. Don't want him ... don't need him at the Knights IMO.

Possibly Gids will do 20-25 mins @ half have Bedsy come on for 30 mins or so while Kids fills in for someone @ the backrow?

Just a thought.

BK ... My guess is no, but I am sure others will have a different opinion to mine. If you have a look at the players that have come back to the NRL this year i.e. Maguire, Berrigan, and Riddell etc they have all generally struggled with the speed and hardness of the modern game.

Having watched Buderus closely, particularly after the rumours about him coming back to the Knights, he certainly ain't the player he used to be. Don't want him ... don't need him at the Knights IMO.

Bedsy and Berrigan maybe in the same ballpark, but comparing him to the pig! Wash your mouth out.

Don't forget until Cam Smith ascended Bedsy was easily the best hooker around, guys a stallion.

Perth Knights

Juniors
Bedsy and Berrigan maybe in the same ballpark, but comparing him to the pig! Wash your mouth out.

Don't forget until Cam Smith ascended Bedsy was easily the best hooker around, guys a stallion.

Agreed that a comparison to piggy Riddell is unfair given the two players are 'chalk and cheese' re talent/ability, but the point I was trying to make is where players have come back to the NRL they have generally struggled with the pace and toughness of the game. The exceptions would be hoffman and eastwood but they were only away from the NRL for less than a year.

I really think that Bedsy will struggle after many years playing in a much weaker competition. I will gladly eat my words if Bedsy plays anywhere near what he used to. However ... I am not an optimist given what I have seen after watching the ESL for the past year or so. If he does come back, and this is yet to be confirmed, I would feel a lot more comfortable with Degois in the run on side with Bedsy coming off the bench. What a mouth watering combination that would be!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts