What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

88.Knights

Juniors
i havn't seen much of cuthbertson while hes been at the dragons, is he playing prop or backrow. cse if its backrow, like mentioned above i think weve got plenty of guys in that position n dont need any more- will welcome bird tho. and if hes prop id rather green.

aqua_duck

Coach
He's been playing prop/lock, was dynamic last night, really reminds me of David Solomona circa 01. Last night in 44 minutes he made 15 runs for 139m and had 5 offloads (and no errors). In comparison Green played 40 minutes had 7 runs for 43m and gave away 2 penalties

Spot On

Coach
Cuthbertson = offloads galore. Quite freakish at it really. Bennett has him in good shape and he seems to be playing smarter with the ball. The miracle offloads seem to have been eliminated for the most part. Would really give this team a lot of second phase play. Something we really haven't had much of. Something we need a lot. Will help our halves out no end.

jonno_knights

Juniors
On McKinnon, plays right centre. Will work well with Tahu contracted for 2 years, enough time for him to learn his trade and take over in 2014.

Spot On

Coach
It just keeps getting better. Tinkler is a genius. Secure Bennett and they will come. Novocastrians would want to get out to the ground next year in massive numbers and enjoy watching this team go round. No excuses with the squad we will have.

Serc

First Grade
Edit: Ah crap, jonno beat me haha

A few people have been talking about this McKinnon fellow from Saints...I too watched the entire game on Fri night, and he was quite impressive...3 line breaks, 2 tries, 9 tackle breaks and 12 runs for 133m if you want some stats :)

And here's the article to follow some of the speculation!

Dragons' new star to follow Wayne Bennett

• Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-large
  • June 12, 2011 12:00AM
494571-alex-mckinnon.jpg

Talent: Alex McKinnon scores on debut. Source: The Daily Telegraph

JUST a few days after the defection of champion fullback Darius Boyd to Newcastle, St George Illawarra are on the verge of losing their most outstanding young prospect to Wayne Bennett at the Knights next season.
Teenage centre Alex McKinnon, who looked a potential star for the Dragons against Gold Coast on Friday night, is set to follow Boyd and Bennett to Newcastle.
The Dragons' supercoach last night confirmed Newcastle had been negotiating with McKinnon, who scored two tries against the Titans in a stunning first-grade debut.
"The fact he's looking to go to Newcastle next year has nothing to do with me," Bennett insisted when it was put to him that Dragons fans could get the impression he was stealing the club's best young prospect.
"The kid's from Scone and he came to St Gregory's a couple of years ago in grade seven. He's from up that way and he still goes home just about every weekend to see his girlfriend and his family.
"I deliberately stayed right out of this one because I'm not going to stuff St George around, I guarantee you that. That's not my go.
"Even when our people at St George told me he wanted to go to Newcastle, I told them to deal with it themselves.
"If he wants to go back to Newcastle because that's where his family are, I'm not going to say that he can't go there.
"He's entitled to the right of playing where he wants to do. I'm not talking to the kid, I'm not talking to his manager, I'm not talking to anyone because I'm still employed by the Dragons."
St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust last night said there was never a suggestion Bennett would steal the club's best talent to try to win a premiership in Newcastle.
"I know Wayne very well and he's not that sort of person," Doust said.
"Because of his wonderful record and achievements in the game, it's only natural some players are going to want to follow him.
"Darius Boyd is the best example of that but in young McKinnon's case, he's keen to be closer to his family and the Knights' recruitment people have been talking to him for some time.
"I would still like to think that we are a chance of keeping him."
McKinnon played NSW under-18s last year and is regarded as one of the best young prospects in the NRL.
He has played most of his football as a lock or second-rower in Toyota Cup, but he played right centre on Friday night in Mark Gasnier's regular position.
He looked outstanding in a beaten side against the Titans.
He ran great angles and looked a threat whenever he touched the football. He was also strong in defence.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ow-wayne-bennett/story-e6frexnr-1226073494993

aqua_duck

Coach
Cordner is a pipe dream at the moment, but I'm sure Tinkler will do everything he can to make it happen

RABK

Referee
On another note i thought that Bosden fellow was poor, got belted and dominated in every run.

aqua_duck

Coach
McKinnon and liki as back up centres is incredible. Alex was close to saints best on Friday if not their best. We are looking proper dangerous now.

I think McKinnon will be a backrower in time, he's an athletic 6'3 and 94kg ATM but in 2 years I reckon he'll be a 6'3, 100kg Beaver Menzies clone. Would lock to see McKinnon and Edwards in the backrow together in the future, ranga bash brothers

I think McKinnon will be a backrower in time, he's an athletic 6'3 and 94kg ATM but in 2 years I reckon he'll be a 6'3, 100kg Beaver Menzies clone. Would lock to see McKinnon and Edwards in the backrow together in the future, ranga bash brothers
I read his bio on the Saints site and it says he can play backrow or centre. He looks very dangeorus but his defence was what stood out for me. Incredible for a kid on debut.

League_God

Juniors
Bennett is a classy bloke. He doesn't say all that much, but when he does it's always a well articulated response to a question/s that require an answer. Though most of the time he rises above the shit in the media. The state in which he left brisbane is also a testament to his fairness. St George shouldn't be worried about Bennett screwing them over.

88.Knights

Juniors
He's been playing prop/lock, was dynamic last night, really reminds me of David Solomona circa 01. Last night in 44 minutes he made 15 runs for 139m and had 5 offloads (and no errors). In comparison Green played 40 minutes had 7 runs for 43m and gave away 2 penalties

hmmm cuthbertson over green then, watch out tahu if mackinnon comes i dont think we'll have to wait 2 years. also looked for bosden in the short amount of time i spent watching the drags tits game and he wasn't to impressive, maybe an off day but i think weve got better, like cook.

billy2

Juniors
Likiliki gets a lot of attention in the NSW cup.
In the game against Balmain last week they were sweating on him getting the ball so 2 or 3 of them could go for him. They were calling his name out when it looked like the ball was going his way and daring him to have a run.
In the early part of the game he had several strong runs where he struggled against a heap of defenders to make a few metres, but he was buggered by halftime.
He isn't scoring tries, but other teams still think he is our most dangerous player - meanwhile, they take Williams lightly and he scores every time he gets to go one on one with a defender - which is at least once a game at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts