What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cram

Bench
If I remember McKinnon correctly he was a big unit with very poor hands and had to be told when to take a run when he was with us - looked like he was a begginer.
I thought he was a country boy - didn't think he was from the Hunter.
Matt Herman and Carl Means are similar athletes who basically pushed McKinnon out of our squad.
Imagine what Bennett will do with them?

They said last night he was from Aberdeen.

billy2

Juniors
They said last night he was from Aberdeen.
Fair enough.
Whoever is running the League progamme at St Josephs at Aberdeen is doing a fantastic job. The have been one of the top schools at under 15 level for about 5 years now. The best in the Hunter and I think they were best in NSW at least once and maybe twice.
Strangely, we have had maybe a dozen juniors from their programme and they all look great to start with but don't kick on.
There must be a reason those country kids from a catholic boarding school don't seem to take to Newcastle life.
Nick Ritter is a St Joeys junior who was one of the stars of our Ball side and has been picked for Combined Catholic Colleges in the schoolboy championships. He looks the goods.

ballbag

Juniors
didnt it also say last night that mckinnon had been at the dragons for 3 years, since he was 16 so that would mean he hasnt been in our system

rnb11

Juniors
Nothing really new but just read on NRL Player News' twitter:

NRLPlayerNews
Dragons forwards Jon Green and Adam Cuthbertson are expected to follow Bennett to Newcastle

Nothing really new but just read on NRL Player News' twitter:

NRLPlayerNews
Dragons forwards Jon Green and Adam Cuthbertson are expected to follow Bennett to Newcastle

Between Snowden, Richie and Tui hopefully that will spell the end of Tolar.

billy2

Juniors
didnt it also say last night that mckinnon had been at the dragons for 3 years, since he was 16 so that would mean he hasnt been in our system
I think I saw him trialling for NYC at Cessnock last year.
He came on late in the game and had a few very solid runs, but spilled the ball nearly every time.
He didn't make the team.
It was either him or someone with a similar name who looked the same.

I can remember thinking he was Mitch McMahon at first, but McMahon didn't play.

I also remember thinking his name was very similar to former under 20s centre Alex McMillian (from 2005, 06)

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
I think I saw him trialling for NYC at Cessnock last year.
He came on late in the game and had a few very solid runs, but spilled the ball nearly every time.
He didn't make the team.
It was either him or someone with a similar name who looked the same.

I can remember thinking he was Mitch McMahon at first, but McMahon didn't play.

I also remember thinking his name was very similar to former under 20s centre Alex McMillian (from 2005, 06)

He certainly looked the goods last night in first grade. Fantastic debut.

aqua_duck

Coach
McKinnon has been at the Dragons and playing NYC for the last 2 and a half years, he's a NSW under 16 and under 18 rep so I doubt we would've rejected him.
Btw Billy I fail to understand what you see in Matt Herman, he's average even at NYC level IMO

Serc

First Grade
I have barely seen any NYC games this year so haven't seen much of Herman in the past few months, but he was great in attack last year.

billy2

Juniors
Herman has a lot of areas in his game where he isn't up to NYC level, and that's because he didn't come up through the Knights junior system. When he gets in the clear he generally blows it by throwing a stupid pass, or even worse, not throwing a pass to a support player.
Time is running out for him to put some polish on his game, but he has size, strength, speed and heart.
Means was nearly in the same boat last year, but he always had a bit more polish, and he has improved quicker.
I'm a bit surprized he hasn't been replaced by Barber or Roose, but he could start performing well at any time. He's only reached a fraction of his potential.

aqua_duck

Coach
Herman looks like he's got a good physique but he hasn't really stood out much for me except when he let's in tries. Against Cronulla he got abused by Stewart Mills and Tyson Frizzell, Mills from memory scored a hattrick and did whatever he pleased against Herman and Alai Taufaao. He kind of reminds me of Ciraldo to be honest.
Between Tets, Cook, Mason, Roose and KOD, I think we got enough young backrowers who are all better and have more potential than Herman.
Btw back on topic, would gladly welcome Cuthbertson, I think he can do a very handy job off the bench, provides a different type of impact to Richie. I definitely think he's got rep potential under Bennett

billy2

Juniors
Herman looks like he's got a good physique but he hasn't really stood out much for me except when he let's in tries. Against Cronulla he got abused by Stewart Mills and Tyson Frizzell, Mills from memory scored a hattrick and did whatever he pleased against Herman and Alai Taufaao. He kind of reminds me of Ciraldo to be honest.
Between Tets, Cook, Mason, Roose and KOD, I think we got enough young backrowers who are all better and have more potential than Herman.
Btw back on topic, would gladly welcome Cuthbertson, I think he can do a very handy job off the bench, provides a different type of impact to Richie. I definitely think he's got rep potential under Bennett
I don't think Taufaoo made a tackle all game - I had a great seat in the new stand for that game - bloody horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.