What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooheysNew

Coach
He's off there because they made an offer? I can think of three clubs off the top of my head that made an offer.

Three other clubs? Fair enough. Reports are varied. Some say he is a done deal while others say he has been offered a deal. Speaking of done deals Manly could be ripped apart if the Des news is accurate. It is reported the Stewarts have a get out clause if Des leaves.

Rusty

Juniors
There's expected to be a press conference announcing the Bulldogs signing of Des Hasler at 10am this morning.

Kieran Foran, Tony Williams (who is off contract next year), B Stewart, Lyon, Watmough, Kite, Williams have get-out clauses when Hasler leaves. But what was to happen if Manly terminated Des' contract for next year. One would assume it's all down hill for Manly from here.

I say make a play for Foran in 2013.

Rolla

Juniors
There's expected to be a press conference announcing the Bulldogs signing of Des Hasler at 10am this morning.

Kieran Foran, Tony Williams (who is off contract next year), B Stewart, Lyon, Watmough, Kite, Williams have get-out clauses when Hasler leaves. But what was to happen if Manly terminated Des' contract for next year. One would assume it's all down hill for Manly from here.

I say make a play for Foran in 2013.

I agree Foran would be the one to go for.

Williams might be worth a shout too, but i don't see a 'need' for him

Perth Knights

Juniors
We're a good halfback/five-eighth away from a premiership.

Surely the Knights are in need of more than just a good halfback/five-eighth. We lack quality props and do not have any centres that strike fear in the hearts of opposition teams. Tahu might be a good backup but he certainly is not the future for our club. So in my opinion we need a centre, one or two props, and a 5/8. Only then can we be considered a genuine premiership threat.

For mine ... this will be a defining season for Mullen. He either performs or we shop him around to other Clubs. And ... I would not be opposed to signing Carney. Under the right guidance he would be a gun for our Club!!

billy2

Juniors
According to this morning's Herald, Garbutt won't sign for Melbourne till next week.
Still time for Bennett to make a call I think.

Rusty

Juniors
Surely the Knights are in need of more than just a good halfback/five-eighth. We lack quality props and do not have any centres that strike fear in the hearts of opposition teams. Tahu might be a good backup but he certainly is not the future for our club. So in my opinion we need a centre, one or two props, and a 5/8. Only then can we be considered a genuine premiership threat.

For mine ... this will be a defining season for Mullen. He either performs or we shop him around to other Clubs. And ... I would not be opposed to signing Carney. Under the right guidance he would be a gun for our Club!!

I agree. IMO But our biggest problem is halves situation. Plenty of opportunities were created in heaps of games this year, but we came up with the wrong play. We can't keep blaming it on the forwards.

I would make a play for Carney too, and he would come cheap.

Perth Knights

Juniors
I agree. IMO But our biggest problem is halves situation. Plenty of opportunities were created in heaps of games this year, but we came up with the wrong play. We can't keep blaming it on the forwards.

I would make a play for Carney too, and he would come cheap.

TBH ... I am a tad concerned about Snowden with his much publicised back problems and our lack of depth in the prop stocks, particularly given we offloaded a few at the end of this season. In any event, will be interesting to see how we go next year forward wise.

Regarding Carney ... I would sign him no questions asked. Under Bennett ... he could be the missing link that we have been looking for!! Besides, I think Bennett would be a good role model for him, much like the relationship Bennett has with Boyd.

perverse

Referee
i don't particularly agree with the props, tbh. i could envisage a fit Snowden and a Fa'aoso in a premiership winning prop rotation. i could also stretch that to Tuimavave without much hassle. probably a little shy on depth, but im sure the likes of Tetevano and whanot will fill those gaps admirably at least. actually, i think Tetevano can go a long way.

billy2

Juniors
People forget that Joel Edwards is a prop, and also forget that Costigan and House can play prop.

Snowden
Faas
Tui
Eddy
Zane
Costigan
House

Under that we are looking a bit scratchy - Sam Anderson, Rod Mason, Shaun Boss, possibly Sinbad Kali and Kruise Wilson - all have potential, but only Sinbad could step up to firstgrade on last year's form, and not sure we still have him.

Manly's board are absolutely pathetic. Get out clauses are a seriously bad way of doing business. I have no doubt Darius has get out clauses in his.

Last edited:

Perth Knights

Juniors
Still think our prop stocks are extremely thin for next year. We have a plethora of talented backrowers but would be loathed to play Costigan at prop. He is far more damaging as a backrower.

So what does everyone think of signing Carney???

For me, I wouldn't even hesitate in signing him. With Bennett he would be under a strict disciplinarian and IMO would thrive. We need a 5/8 ... so the choice for me is simple. Sign him on a back ended Contract.

Yosh

Coach
WB, while an amazing coach and person, isn't gonna make every problem in the world go away. I seriously doubt Carney will be worth all the fuss (media, extra precautions, not knowing if he'll be well enough to play week in week out, baby sitting him) and I really hope we don't sign him.

In our ranks we have:

Mullen (potential superstar)
Kidley (club superhero)
Stig (once coverted by Gus)
Roberts (Junior Aussie halfback)

That's more than enough for me.

billy2

Juniors
Buderus should be on his way home soon, after Leeds won the grandfinal overnight. Not a bad way to finish his ESL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts