What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

Bench
Billy also made a good point about this in the NRL section, surely if he was coming here he wouldn't announce it the day before playing us.

perverse

Referee
Billy also made a good point about this in the NRL section, surely if he was coming here he wouldn't announce it the day before playing us.
i don't really see the logic in this one, but yeah, i guess. if he's announcing that he's leaving, then he's announcing that he's leaving. it has the chance to deflate his team regardless of where he is going (although i don't think it will, such is the professionalism of that outfit). he has to announce it some time, and it's always going to be before one match or another.

it would be somewhat correct to say that it's most likely that he's staying in Melbourne because he's announcing it before the match, as then it's likely to have a positive effect on the team before the game. i could see that path of logic. in fact, i think that has the most weight of any speculation you may want to make on the subject.

the fact of the matter is that it's in his and his teams best interest to announce where he is going as soon as the decision is made. rip it off like a bandaid and get on with the footy. i don't really read much into the timing of the conference aside from the fact that he has made a decision on his future.

so yeah, i'm interested to know what path of logic you took to put any real weight in the argument there. i'm all ears, though.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
life is pretty weird.

i think there are lot of good reasons why he is extraordinarily unlikely to sign with us, but the timing of his press conference just isn't really one of them.

Stay at Melbourne or Souffs, for mine. stay at Melbourne to maintain his status in the Big 3, or Souffs to hook up with ex-mentor Maguire. pure speculation, of course.

Yosh

Coach
Why would we want him? Sure he is about 80 times better than our halves right now but with Mullen and Kidley we have a pairing with unlimited potential. Also in the reserves we have some gun halves up and coming as well. If anything we need a young and up and coming hooker. Or maybe it is the Kidley to hooker and Cronk to halfback...

1. Boyd
6. Mullen
7. Cronk
9. Kidley

That looks pretty crazy actually...

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
hes staying at melbourne, if the club has called the Press Conference it isn't for him to tell everyone hes leaving, and with only 36 hours to go before a home game it would be even more stupid.

4 years for 1.8 mill sounds about correct awell

My only question about the whole Cronk thing is why were we mentioned in the Mole twitter feed. For the other club's sakes I hope Wayne has not made THE CALL. Remember folks the Beau Scott signing noone saw coming.

billy2

Juniors
Of all the positions we need to cover why would we spend big money on a half?
We have the current Qld under 18s half in NYC as about 5th choice in the halves behind a heap of guys who have played for NSW and Aus, and we have a 21 yo and a 22 year old in NSW cup who have both gone well.

we have
gidley
Mullen
Stig
Roberts
Will Smith
Tom Rouse - SG Ball player of the year, Carlsen award winner, NSW and Aus
Kurt Mann - qld under 18s
Tyler Sullivan - several rep teams
Api Pewhairangi - a Maori rep
Geordie Connelly
Tyrone Walsh - Luke's little brother and NSW aboriginal rep under 16s
Travis Edwards - also an under 16s aboriginal rep and better than Walsh

If Wayne can't find a quality halves combination in that lot we should just give up on running lower grade sides.

Even AJ Davis is only 22 and could still be a firstgrade half if he keeps improving.

Last edited:
We have the current Qld under 18s half in NYC as about 5th choice in the halves behind a heap of guys who have played for NSW and Aus, and we have a 21 yo and a 22 year old in NSW cup who have both gone well.

we have
gidley
Mullen
Stig
Roberts
Will Smith
Geordie Connelly

If Wayne can't find a quality halves combination in that lot we should just give up on running lower grade sides.
You make a valid point Billy. I find it hard to believe Tinkler and Bennett have not discussed Cronk. He did afterall offer Joey a contract which he nearly took up in 2000. It is not beyond possible he has pulled off the biggest of coups.

Rod

Bench
Yep that would be a big signing, in every sense of the word. He made Faas look like Shannon MacDonnell on Sunday.

Frederick

Staff member

we have
gidley
Mullen
Stig
Roberts
Will Smith
Geordie Connelly

Even AJ Davis is only 22 and could still be a firstgrade half if he keeps improving.
Does that mean Luke is aboriginal too?

Yosh

Coach
yes - he's played in aboriginal sides before.

Walsh looks more albino than aborigine....

Kasisano? If we need some size in the pack, he is defienitely the guy to go for. Dropped the ball a ton against us though...

Peppers

Juniors
Bit of twitter scuttlebutt that Hargreaves is resigning with the Roosters. Shame - Would have fitted in up here quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.