What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuffy

Bench
Thats the bit I don't get with letting Faas go early, ethically it was the right thing to do, but if we aren't going to sign someone before June 30 then it's of no benefit for us and arguably weakens the club as we are a man short for the rest of the year.

Maybe Parra are playing hardball and won't let him sign until the very last minute so he can't play against them.

Yosh

Coach
Thats the bit I don't get with letting Faas go early, ethically it was the right thing to do, but if we aren't going to sign someone before June 30 then it's of no benefit for us and arguably weakens the club as we are a man short for the rest of the year.

Maybe Parra are playing hardball and won't let him sign until the very last minute so he can't play against them.

I hope we have something huge up our sleeve...

chinorocks

Juniors

Agreed. If Sau signs with Souths tomorrow and we don't announce any signings of our own it would appear this year is over and it's all about the future.

perverse

Referee
Letting Fa'aoso and Sau go early may still benefit us in loosening the cap enough that we can play some more young blokes this year. Hard to say whether this is the case or not without looking at the books... just throwing it out there.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Buckleys chance IMO mate

Korbin is an awesome prospect but I would be surprised if Wayne plucks him straight from NYC without giving him a run against men in NSWCup first.

Whats Doing

Bench
Article from the Telecrap

IZZY BACKFLIP

ISRAEL Folau will see out the season for GWS, but it’s now more than likely he’ll be back playing NRL next year. The AFL understands he has done his bit in marketing and promoting the new club, but there is little else he can do from reserves. I’m hearing the Roosters and Parramatta are interested.

I hope Uncle Benny has a talk with one of his proteges and sees the benefits of driving up the M3 next year.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Yeah I agree with Aqua. I'd rather throw 500k at a good organising halfback to partner Mullen, a good hole running backrower or a couple of decent bench props that would help maintain our momentum when Snowy and Mase go off.

The last time I saw Folau he looked like a stick insect. And with all that fumbling he did at GWS there is every possibility he could come back to the NRL and end up being yet another overpaid hack like most of the defectors before him. His ego probably couldn't take it, but if I was a club CEO I wouldn't offer him any more than 200k. And if he didn't like it, well he can languish in the fumbleball reggies for all I care.

K-Man

Bench
With Gagai arriving and Tahu finding form, outside backs are the last thing we need. I'd almost go as far saying that our 1-5 is close to the best in the comp when in form - biggest issue is getting them more ball in good positions. McManus is seen as the 'weakest link' in attacking threat, but he has absolutely phenomenal in so many ways.

If we had Folau kind of money to spend it should go towards a real quality halfback and/or a strike back-rower/quality prop.

McKinnon took a big step forward last night I thought. He's looked like a first-grader since game one, but I loved watching him cut out some of the fancy footwork and just run straight and hard when we most needed it. While others continued to run sideways or time their runs poorly, 19-year-old showed guys like Houston, Edwards and Costigan how to make an impact with the football.

K-Man

Bench
Anyone starting to warm to Tyrone?

Yes and no. His last few weeks have been much improved and I've always liked him as a player since juniors.

However, I also feel he's got a big of Mullen about him in the sense that he looks like a half who is good at what he's good at it but will struggle to improve at what he's not (i.e. organisation and taking control of a game). Again, Roberts is probably more of a five-eighth than a halfback, and I can see that being my issue with his role long-term.

In two years I'd expect Will Smith to be our starting five-eighth in first grade - he's got all the skills combined with a level head. How that fits around Mullen, Gidley and Roberts I have no idea.

I think it would be wise to sit back and assess the overall quality of talent which is up for grabs in november before we get too ahead of ourselves. We appear to be cap tied till 2014 anyway so we may benefit from having more time to consider who we need. I know Kurt's grandfather quite well and he tells me Bennett has discussed with Kurt who they need and it will be 2014 before he gets them. No names mentioned and i doubt Jack would say so if he knew.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
I think Roberts is good but too similar to Mullen.... I love his ticker in defense and he is definitely warming to the job. He is also a threat because he loves his dummy and taking on the line.

Long kicking game definitely needs work.

Next year if Kurt does play in the seven, I think Roberts will make a great impact hooker coming on for Bedsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.