What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABK

Referee
Everyone is raving on about Boyd Cordner. I must say I'm not the biggest fan, I don't see too much in him.

His workrate and quality is improving every month, if he continues to progress he'll be a Steve Simpson kind of player. Tall, thick boned damaging runner capable of grunt up the middle or hole running outwide. I've heard from players that, like Simpson, he is a hard bastard to tackle as he has pointy bones as hard as cement and leaves bruises all over you.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
A backrow with both Cordner and McKinnon is gonna look real good in 2 or 3 years. Potential state reps if you ask me.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If we keep Houston then surely it will signal the beginning of the end for Costigan?

Houston doesn't offer enough threat as a wide running backrower imo, he would be much better suited at lock in the long term. And that can only be done by either releasing Costigan, or at best shifting him back to prop.

You make a good point. Costigan has been a real dissapointment since he's joined the team. A couple of months ago I suggested moving him to a starting prop position to see if this would improve his game. As a lock forward, like you, I believe Houston would offer a great deal more in attack and defence and it also means we could put a more attacking player in the second row. It's a win, win.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Position wise, morons. Of course he's going to be more expensive. I was replying to Newie is Gods Country who questioned if Aku was at risk of being moved on.

As was stated, you did say it was a direct swap. This may be a massive shock to you, so I hope you are sitting down. I am sure that you will find that the large majority of players will have built into their contracts that their salary is to rise in direct proportion to the caps rise. Moron...

Rolla

Juniors
While we are on the topic (and getting away from the who is a moron debate), what definite impacts will the cap rise have? As in, is the minimum wage for footballers rising with it? what effects on 2nd tier contracts? higher long serving player allowances? are there definite pay increases for current players or is this up to the discretion of the clubs?

McKinnons fine now, just needs more game time, getting 20-30 mins a week how on earth is he supposed to develope?

Cordner would be an upgrade from anything in our backrow at the moment, but no way he'll leave the Roosters from all interviews he feels very indebted to them as they've helped him through loads of personal stuff - and to be honest its good to see for once!

CJG 182

Juniors
As was stated, you did say it was a direct swap. This may be a massive shock to you, so I hope you are sitting down. I am sure that you will find that the large majority of players will have built into their contracts that their salary is to rise in direct proportion to the caps rise. Moron...

Actually mate, any club who manages players/cap effectively have avoided these type of stipulations in order to gain the most advantage from a cap rise. I know for a fact the roosters have only 1-2 players with this kind of stipulation and as such will be able to make the most of it.
Manly has been proactive in either shipping players or reworking deals due to the fact 13-14 of their players had these kind of clauses.

Really comes down to how smart we've been when signing off on contracts.

aqua_duck

Coach
McKinnons fine now, just needs more game time, getting 20-30 mins a week how on earth is he supposed to develope?

Cordner would be an upgrade from anything in our backrow at the moment, but no way he'll leave the Roosters from all interviews he feels very indebted to them as they've helped him through loads of personal stuff - and to be honest its good to see for once!

If we put in a good enough bid let's see how far his loyalty stretches, they'll have some very highly paid players on their books in 2014, SBW will be one of the highest paid players in the game ($600k-$700k at a rough estimate), if we offer Cordner $300k+ I don't know if they'd be willing to have $1 million tied up in their backrow

I really rate Cordner but even if the cap goes up I wouldn't be paying him more then $300k a season, that being said who knows how far he'd come along by then and a McKinnon/Cordner combo would be sensational.

rnb11

Juniors
Yup he's a Taree boy, played all his junior footy with Newcastle and his brother Dane plays for Lakes United. I think the Roosters nabbed him at 16 after watching how dominant he was in Harold Matthews.

Last edited:

rnb11

Juniors
We brought home Bedsy, Snowden, Tahu, Mason, McKinnon and Rochow this year. Will be great if we can do the same for Bird and Cordner next.

Status
Not open for further replies.