What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yosh

Coach
He fits the bill perfectly. One of the boys coming back home, young, talented. We'll get him.

aqua_duck

Coach
I really rate Cordner but even if the cap goes up I wouldn't be paying him more then $300k a season, that being said who knows how far he'd come along by then and a McKinnon/Cordner combo would be sensational.

Whether we like it or not we're going to have to pay overs and pay him according to his potential rather than runs on the board

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Actually mate, any club who manages players/cap effectively have avoided these type of stipulations in order to gain the most advantage from a cap rise. I know for a fact the roosters have only 1-2 players with this kind of stipulation and as such will be able to make the most of it.
Manly has been proactive in either shipping players or reworking deals due to the fact 13-14 of their players had these kind of clauses.

Really comes down to how smart we've been when signing off on contracts.

Well it sounds like the roosters have done well, but pardon my cynicism on the subject. If a few clubs are bidding for a player and are offering similar coin, but one club would offer a 20 or so percentage increase when the cap goes up. Then surely that club would become favorites to land the contract. Maybe most of the roosters signings are more short term contracts and end before the next tv deal comes in.

TooheysNew

Coach
Well it sounds like the roosters have done well, but pardon my cynicism on the subject. If a few clubs are bidding for a player and are offering similar coin, but one club would offer a 20 or so percentage increase when the cap goes up. Then surely that club would become favorites to land the contract. Maybe most of the roosters signings are more short term contracts and end before the next tv deal comes in.
Now you're just making it up...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
You quoted my last post Coby. What did I make up? Was it the point I made in regards to players being more likely to be enticed by a contract that went up with the salary cap? Or was it the last sentence that I started with the word 'maybe'?

I heard ages ago that a lot of players had written into their contracts that they are to go up as the salary cap rises. It may have been Paul Kent that I heard say it, but I could be wrong as it was at the start of the season that it was mentioned.

Logic itself would point to the fact that with an increase in the salary cap, that player managers will be out there doing their best by their players.

A poster has already stated that Manly did what I have discussed and then back pedelled as the club could see it would affect the club in the long run.

Any player that would sign a 3 or 4 year contract and not have written in their contract that it is to rise in relation to the cap increase would be a fool. Otherwise it would make more sense to make sure the contract is up until the time when the next tv deal comes through and not a year further. That's just plain common sence.

Last edited:
No club is going to let players put auto payrise clauses in their contract. Turn it up. Can u imagine that! Great for club unity. U would have every player wanting more and how do u enhance your roster depth if u r giving your spare change to existing players? Stupid business.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
The top players have their contract set as a % of the cap.
Inglis and Jennings are at 14% I believe.

But only the top players have the type of leverage to demand that, so there might be a couple in each teams top 25, certainly not everyone though.

Whats Doing

Bench
It doesn't surprise me. I was at the Titans vs Panthers match and Lewis sat is the panthers dug out at half time instead of going into the sheds with his team mates at half time. It was obvious then that something was wrong in the Panthers camp.

K-Man

Bench
We absolutely need Lewis.

We might have a few backrowers on the books (not actually that many as some people keep suggesting we do), but we have nothing even close to that class.

In fact, we don't even have an attacking wide runner of any class at all.

Edwards on the fringe is laughable - it feels horribly similar to Regan Tanner's time as our 'hard-working lock'.

My two priorities are a gun second-rower and a halfback. The latter is not going to happen, so let's move heaven and earth to bring Lewis here.

Johns Magic

Referee
Without having the time to actually do a thorough analysis, I'd say our backrow is in the bottom 3 of the competition.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I take your points fellas, we do lack that aspect in our side and the guys we do have are either not showing that they can cut it or have been shifted to prop. Personally Id like to see Zeb and Willie playing wide but with our lack of props I guess thats not gonna happen.

Adsy

Juniors
If it is at all possible we need to sign Lewis. He is exactly what we are missing - an attacking, hole running back rower with ball playing skills.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
All I know is that the Knights are severely lacking a damaging wide-running backrower. We don't have any gems coming up through the lower grades and we certainly don't have any in FG, either.

McKinnon is our only hope of a good attacking backrower, but even he is being used wrong, i.e, carting it up the middle like a front rower. I think he's being developed wrong and should be playing much wider and actually testing the defence and not the boring shit he's doing right now. If he's continually being coached this way, then it could potentially ruin him, imo.

Lewis is one of the best attacking backrowers in the game. It would awesome to have him at the Knights.

Rod

Bench
If the rumours prove true you would think there will 15 clubs knocking on his door.

Absolute champion. Would lose the plot if he signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts