What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Not too many good props in the Qld Cup from what Ive seen mate. Speaks volumes when Dane Carlaw is leading the way in most of the stats

Nuffy

Bench
SMH today is saying Smith is 32 so any 3 year deal is insanity.

I'd say the likely scenario is that Lewis ends up at Cronulla and Smith joins the Saints.

Dave_

Juniors
NO to stagg and smith. Save money for next season and go after someone that isnt past their use by date. If we sign either of them ill be pissed off big time.

Silent Knight

First Grade
DadsArmyBBC_468x474.jpg

Nuffy

Bench
I'm struggling to see how Bennett would agree to this. It has to be purely media speculation.

I do think however that Cronulla are trying to shop him around so they can chase Lewis and maybe thats where the noise is coming from, them trying to drum up a deal.

Smith is too old and frankly, too much like Scott to be worth it, unless he was on 100k in which case you'd take the chance on a one year deal. Now obviously thats not going to happen so its a beat up.

No club is signing a 32 year old backrower to a 3 year big money deal.

He lives in the gong so he'll be signed by the Dragons and go on his merry way.

Nuffy

Bench
My rah rah contact tells me that Tom Carter is on the Knights radar, but not to get any hopes up as he is unlikely to leave Sydney.

Shame as he'd probably make a decent hole running backrower.

Johns Magic

Referee
I hate Tom Carter and don't think he is a particularly good union player, but I do think he is one of the most suited union players to make the switch.

His strengths are his physicality and his fitness. He is a massively dedicated trainer and does all those 1%ers on the field like kick-chase. He also has a lot of mongrel and niggle in him. Undoubtedly it is those attributes that have allowed him to hold onto the Waratahs 12 jersey for so long despite not being very skillful or agile.

I think he could make a good hole-running secondrower in league. Probably not rep quality, but could be better than what we already have here in that regard.

And even though he might not want to leave Sydney, I know he is a big Knights fan.

Johns Magic

Referee
He's been the Waratahs inside centre for the last five years. In and out of the starting team occasionally over that time but he's been the mainstay in that jersey overall.

RABK

Referee
Must admit i've watched a few Waratahs games over the last couple of years and have never seen or heard of him during the coverage. Must not be much chop or fairly forgettable. 29 years old too?

Johns Magic

Referee
Ive never thought he's much chop. But I reckon he's more suited to league than union.

Wouldn't bat an eyelid if we don't get him but I'd be interested to watch him go if we do get him. He is probably in the top few nigglers in Super 15 and plays tough. His physicality and fitness are suited to league.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think the best way I could put it, in my opinion, is that his strengths in union are actually more suited to league, and his limitations in union wouldn't be as detrimental in league.

RHCP

Bench
I don't get why everybody is so hung up on the age of a player.

Our best signing this season has been Willie Mason, and he's 32!

JT, Smith, Slater, Cronk all 29 this year - they're pushing the magic '30' and they are still the best players in the game. The best forwards in the game - Gallen (31 this year), Ashley Harrison (31), David Shillington (29), Luke Lewis (29 this year), Glenn Stewart (28), Greg Bird (28 this year), Ben Hannant (28 this year) are all close to 30.

Not every player has to be a ten year club veteran. In fact, in today's game, that's extremely unlikely. Plenty of players, especially forwards, can provide some very good years of service, even if they are only two or three years, once they get past 30.

I'm not saying we need to start getting every 30 year old on a five year deal but if you are good enough, you are young enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.