What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Costigan has frustrated the hell out of me since we signed him. I had high expectations and he has failed to deliver. The best form he's demonstrated over his career was playing prop at St George. I've said for a while now that I'd like to see him given a shot in the number 8 jersey and if it doesn't help his contribution to the team, then drop him to the bench or reserve grade.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
that's about 1/100000th of what i really think. I could tell you all about how poisonous religion is in general, how it holds back the third world through denouncing contraception and the empowerment of women. I could tell you about how happy i'd be if i woke up tomorrow and religion didn't exist at all. About how it's followers are delusional, and not open to debate on the topic in the slightest. I bet you, yourself, can't actually justify your beliefs in any real, evidence based way.

I could tell you about how silly it is that there are thousands of different religions around the world (or even just in christianity), and they all think with equal conviction that they are, in fact, the ones that are correct.

I could tell you exactly why, in meticulous detail, there is no need for a god in the face of hard-earned scientific knowledge. Or even that there is really no place left for him/her/it. I could tell you about how barbaric the bible is, and how it's a very poor model on which to base ones morality. I could tell you about how unreliable the bible is in its different translations. I could tell you about how people pick and choose the parts of the bible they wish to take literally, and which figuratively (apparently the entirety of genesis is not to be taken literally anymore, for example... Yet it was fine for hundreds of years to do so).

There's a lot of things that i really think, if you want to hear them. There's a thread called "ridiculing religion" in the four corners section of the forum that has a lot of my thoughts on the topic. Needless to say, i'm not a fan of any religion, and have a particular disdain for christianity and the kooky denominations that reside within it.

X2

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Knights poised to re-sign Chris Houston, in hunt for Luke Lewis
BRETT KEEBLE
14 Jul, 2012 04:00 AM
THE Knights are poised to re-sign Chris Houston for two more years, ending speculation that the workhorse second-rower was headed to Penrith, and are in the hunt to sign Test forward Luke Lewis.
Lewis has told the Knights they are one of the clubs he would be interested in joining.

In another development involving both clubs, the Knights have released experienced utility back Wes Naiqama from the last two years of his three-year contract to join the Panthers for the next two seasons.

Naiqama will play out the rest of this season with the Knights and join Penrith on November 1.

The Newcastle Herald has been told Houston and the Knights are close to settling terms on a new two-year deal and hope to make an official announcement next week.

The 27-year-old joined the Knights from the Dragons at the end of 2007.

Houston is coming to the end of a two-year contract, which included an option in his favour for a third season.

He signed that deal in December 2010, 10 days after four drugs supply charges against him were dropped in Newcastle Local Court.

There was speculation in Sydney yesterday that Houston, the NRL’s third-top tackler this season, was leaning towards accepting a three-year offer from the Panthers, but a Penrith source denied this late yesterday.

Earlier yesterday, Knights coach Wayne Bennett said Lewis was a player he would like to sign but the chances of that happening would be determined by several factors, many of which were out of his and the club’s control.

But Bennett would be heartened to hear Lewis rates the Knights as a legitimate suitor.

The Herald was told yesterday that Lewis has a high regard for the club, for Newcastle as a new home town, and for Bennett, who coached him in the NRL All Stars game in February.

Lewis and Dragons skipper Ben Hornby were Bennett’s two ‘‘coach’s selections’’ for that game.

Bennett indicated that by joining the race for Lewis, who said this week that he would be leaving Penrith at the end of the season, the Knights would have to reassess the status of some players who are off contract or contracted beyond this season.

‘‘No, it’s not totally pie-in-the-sky stuff, no, but again, we may have to revisit some things there,’’ Bennett said when asked about the 28-year-old NSW and Australian mainstay.

‘‘We will talk to him, I hope. We’re certainly interested in him, and it’s just a case of what the price is out there and whether we can get near it or we can’t, and whether someone’s offering ridiculous amounts and noone’s going to be able to match it.

‘‘Clubs have different requirements and different priorities.

‘‘Parramatta, for example, they may be able to pay a hell of a lot more than any of us, because they badly need a player like him and [Nathan] Hindmarsh is retiring for them.’’

Bennett said the retention and recruitment of players was a difficult matter to deal with in-season, but every Knights player ‘‘knows where they stand’’.

‘‘There’s probably a few things happening that I really can’t discuss at the moment, but we’re active out there and we’re looking for some players for certain positions,’’ he said.

Naiqama, who has played 75 NRL games for the Knights in the past five seasons since arriving from the Dragons, has been named at five-eighth for Newcastle’s NSW Cup team against Cronulla at Henson Park today.

“We would like to thank Wes for his contribution to our club over the last five years,” Knights chief executive Matt Gidley said in a statement on the club’s website.

“Wes leaves with our best wishes and we hope he can recapture some of the form he has displayed throughout his time at our club in his new environment at Penrith.”
LINK

Every day I am becoming more and more confident we will sign him.

He has stated that he wants to go to a club that can win a premiership. We have the most potential out of any other club. Sign him for 3-4 years, by the 3rd and 4th year of that contract all the new processes and development that wayne has put in place will be paying dividends. We are only going up from here, whereas teams like the tigers are on the decline..

chinorocks

Juniors
Every day I am becoming more and more confident we will sign him.

He has stated that he wants to go to a club that can win a premiership. We have the most potential out of any other club. Sign him for 3-4 years, by the 3rd and 4th year of that contract all the new processes and development that wayne has put in place will be paying dividends. We are only going up from here, whereas teams like the tigers are on the decline..

We have no halves and a crap pack. Yea we ooze premiership potential...

aqua_duck

Coach
Yeah same. I think Edwards could be used better than he has been this year.

Doesn't matter how we use him, prop, wide back rower, middle back rower, centre, wing, hooker, halfback......
The bloke just has absolutely nothing in attack and is a below par athlete. Costigan isn't much chop either but unlike Edwards we're stuck with him unless we find a club dumb enough to take him off us

Johns Magic

Referee
You know I've got the impression over the last few months of you posting the same violent criticism of Edwards on a daily basis that you're not a big fan of him Aqua.

As a hard-hitting lock playing 30-50 minutes a game(basically what Costigan is supposed to be now) I think Edwards could give us good value if he's cheap. I can't see too many clubs knocking his door down right now given how out of touch he is. Dean Young plays a similar role at the Dragons, though he's slowing down now.

I reckon we could get Edwards to do Costigan's job for half the pay-packet. I think he is having a case of second-year syndrome and is capable of offering more than he currently is. He will mature. I don't think he's a rep player, but not everyone in your top 25 will be.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he signs elsewhere. But if we got him for chips I think he'd be a good squad member. He is not a second-rower which he has been forced into this year though.

I'm not his biggest fan but I'd sure as hell rather have him than Costigan. And I think the criticism of him this season has been fairly over the top.

Whats Doing

Bench
We don't need both Costigan and Edwards who are both depth players. (Not particularly that good of depth signings either)

I agree Edwards would be cheaper but unless we can offload Costigan who is contracted with us for next year at no cost we are stuck with him and therefore we don't need Edwards.

It is all about timing with our contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts