What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johns Magic

Referee
We don't need both Costigan and Edwards who are both depth players. (Not particularly that good of depth signings either)

I agree Edwards would be cheaper but unless we can offload Costigan who is contracted with us for next year at no cost we are stuck with him and therefore we don't need Edwards.

It is all about timing with our contracts

I'm not commenting whatsoever on their contract situations.

Just saying all else even, I'd prefer Edwards.

If releasing Edwards gets us Lewis I will be cheering.

roboshark

Coach
Our captain on mmm radio saying jezza smith may be heading to you guys to be closer to wife's family. If gal says it then a fair chance u would think

aqua_duck

Coach
You know I've got the impression over the last few months of you posting the same violent criticism of Edwards on a daily basis that you're not a big fan of him Aqua.

As a hard-hitting lock playing 30-50 minutes a game(basically what Costigan is supposed to be now) I think Edwards could give us good value if he's cheap. I can't see too many clubs knocking his door down right now given how out of touch he is. Dean Young plays a similar role at the Dragons, though he's slowing down now.

I reckon we could get Edwards to do Costigan's job for half the pay-packet. I think he is having a case of second-year syndrome and is capable of offering more than he currently is. He will mature. I don't think he's a rep player, but not everyone in your top 25 will be.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he signs elsewhere. But if we got him for chips I think he'd be a good squad member. He is not a second-rower which he has been forced into this year though.

I'm not his biggest fan but I'd sure as hell rather have him than Costigan. And I think the criticism of him this season has been fairly over the top.
I had high hopes for him at the start of the year but he's just not shown any improvement at all. It's 2012, you can't afford to carry blokes who offer nothing at all in attack. He's a good tackler but it'd be a stretch to even call him a good defender because his lateral quickness isn't that good. He just lacks in all the areas that are required of the modern day footballer, size, skill and athleticism, unfortunately no amount of heart can mask those deficiencies and a few good hits can't make up for his ineffectiveness in attack

Nuffy

Bench
Our captain on mmm radio saying jezza smith may be heading to you guys to be closer to wife's family. If gal says it then a fair chance u would think

I thought the coach of the sharks said there was no chance he would be released. Not sure gallen would say such a thing on radio.

Perhaps sharks need to get rid of him to fit in Lewis, if that's the case I hope we are getting a great deal and he is only getting a one year deal, he's too old to be getting too much cap space.

rabble

Juniors
would'nt touch berrick barnes, QLD had to get rid of him, now look at nsw. he stifles attack. rugby boys i would take on include the faingaa twins, rob horne, will genia, kurtley and o'connor.
nev's gone, hoped for more, now i see why WB keeps movin him on. edwards to stay. throw the bank at hurrell to replace tahu unless likiliki can come good. we have the makings of a good team and i believe that with the WB structure being played on the field we can potentially play the style better than WB's previous teams, why, because our players are better, maybe except for lockyer and that's how mullen needs to play the game, link man. keep these nsw cup boys in the side, they know there job.

Rolla

Juniors
I really don't want to sign Smith actually.... Screw helping Sharks free up space for Llewis, why aren't we flogging off Nev to the sharks to make space for Llewis at Newcastle? Surely if the Sharks can't fit Llewis in it is good news for us right? Why help them when we are competing with them for Llewis?

W.Smith

Juniors
That's interesting cos his last reason for not signing is her family was in the Gong!

it is the travel from Wollongong to Cronulla everyday for training and time away from home that is the problem, moving to Parra or Newy - where Jeremy could be released to on compassionate grounds and living there will alleviate that problem

it is the travel from Wollongong to Cronulla everyday for training and time away from home that is the problem, moving to Parra or Newy - where Jeremy could be released to on compassionate grounds and living there will alleviate that problem

Cheers mate. Sounds like Wayne is making sure he doesn't miss his plan B should the signing of Lewis not happen. According to Toohey today Lewis signing is more and more unlikely. We are chasing a player but he said the player is not marquee. He never gives us much hope of getting the big name players in his column.

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade
I really don't want to sign Smith actually.... Screw helping Sharks free up space for Llewis, why aren't we flogging off Nev to the sharks to make space for Llewis at Newcastle? Surely if the Sharks can't fit Llewis in it is good news for us right? Why help them when we are competing with them for Llewis?

That's it mate and it's a damn insult that we even contemplate taking one of their castoffs so they can have Lewis. If we want to sign one of their backrowers, I say we have a go at getting Wade Graham when he's off contract. Now that would be building for the future, a 32 year old back rower looking for a retirement pay cheque isn't.

Screw the Sharks. They don't deserve any favours from us with their recruitment. The Knights should never settle for second best under the Tinkler/Bennett era. Least of all to a club that claims the Amco f***ing Cup as their crown jewel over the past 40 years.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Jeremy Smith would be a fantastic buy for 1-2 years. Don't get the hate.

The bloke is a big game player and a leader who will add plenty of mongrel and aggression to our forward pack. He's also the best 1 on 1 tackler in the game IMO.

At 32, he's still a damn good player.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I'm not saying that Jeremy Smith is a bad player, he's been in great form for the Sharks this year. But he's not getting any younger and if you were to ask me who I prefer between him and Luke Lewis, I would choose Lewis a hundred times over. We should be gunning for the best, we have the coach, the finances and the facilities now to lure marquee players. Finally we shouldn't be playing nice with other clubs as far as recruitment goes. In fact we should be proper bastards.

Wayne has players he wants to bring here and Smith clearly is one of them. Smith is a hundred times better than a player like Stagg. Let's be honest. If we got Lewis as well we would have one killer backrow. Scott, smith and Lewis. Maybe Smith is a statement to Lewis that we have a strong pack for 2013. James Phelps has said we get our chance to talk to him this week. A sit down with Bennett is a lot different to a phone call. Don't undersetimate Wayne Benett's influence in this. He almost got Joey for a fraction of what we paid in 2000. I admit Smith's age is a big factor for me as well. For that reason i said no initially but if it is no Lewis then at least we get a tough bastard to work alongside House and Scott.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
He's a hard bastard. We need that.

So, a pack that now has a few oldies (Buderus, Mason, Smith), a few blokes with a good number of games (Snowden, House, Costigan) and a few newbies with some just beginning to be or not quite fully blooded yet (Eddie and Tets with KOD, Rochow, maybe Sims next season).

A nice mix there.

What do we do for a back up hooker???

If Tyrone develops well where will Gids fit in???

Silent Knight

First Grade
If Tyrone keeps throwing those lovely cut out passes and improves his kicking game then Gidley might be facing an uphill battle to get back in the run on squad.

League_God

Juniors
He's a hard bastard. We need that.

So, a pack that now has a few oldies (Buderus, Mason, Smith), a few blokes with a good number of games (Snowden, House, Costigan) and a few newbies with some just beginning to be or not quite fully blooded yet (Eddie and Tets with KOD, Rochow, maybe Sims next season).

A nice mix there.

What do we do for a back up hooker???

If Tyrone develops well where will Gids fit in???

Surely McKinnon features in the side?

If I had the choice between Scott and McKinnon, I'd choose McKinnon everyday of the week. I get the feeling within the next couple of years this kid is going to explode. He has everything you could possible want in a backrower. He just needs a bit more size and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts