What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spot On

Coach
Yep, my bad - left Scott and McKinnon out. Put them in as well. :crazy:

Wow. That pack doesn't look too bad now hey!

I left Cuthbo out as well. Anyone care?

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade
I think Cuthbo offers more off the bench than Costigan. At least Cuthbo offers us some nice second phase play with his offloads, and that can be useful late in the match against tiring defenders.

Spot On

Coach
He does SK. However, he has a tendency to miss a few tackles which the past few weeks have led directly to tries. He needs to improve that area of his game big time.

Burwood

Bench
It's all well to be talking about Lewis and Smith, but our front row is still desperately in need of one or two more quality players. Mason is a backrower, Cuthbertson is a backrower, Taia is a backrower. That's pretty much been our front row rotation for the last two to three weeks. I'd much rather we looked at signing some good props (don't have to be origin or international standard) and then finally move Mason and Cuthbertson out into the backrow where they should be playing.

Rolla

Juniors
If the signing of smith comes before Llewis settles his future I will be pissed off.

If Llewis decides to go elsewhere (ie. not the sharks) and then we sign Smith then fair play, he will improve our squad.

Rolla

Juniors
It's all well to be talking about Lewis and Smith, but our front row is still desperately in need of one or two more quality players. Mason is a backrower, Cuthbertson is a backrower, Taia is a backrower. That's pretty much been our front row rotation for the last two to three weeks. I'd much rather we looked at signing some good props (don't have to be origin or international standard) and then finally move Mason and Cuthbertson out into the backrow where they should be playing.

Good point. But in Llewis we are talking a Marquee player who wants a new club (doesn't happen that often) and could improve two positions and cover about 5 more. He shits all over even Scott. He brings more than being a good Backrower. For mine he is the games best backrower (very arguable I am sure) and would bring leadership and energy to the table as well.

I don't know any props at all (let alone on the market) that could bring what Llewis would. With that said i really hope we can bolster our prop rotation. Locking Tets up is vital but another couple of older heads to compliment KOD and Sims coming through (since i assume Tui is good as gone).

I too would like to see Mason and Cuthbo in the backrow at some point.

RABK

Referee
Lewis is nowhere near the games best backrower. At his best he's top 3 but he has a habit of turning up only twice a month and been pretty ordinary the other two games. Gallen, Watmough, Thaiday, Myles, Bird, Williams and Stewart are all backrowers who beat Lewis for quantity and quality IMO.

RABK

Referee
Btw don't get me wrong, he'd be elite compared to what we have i just don't think he is consistently in the top 3 or 4 players on the park like the other backrowers i mentioned are.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I'm curious as to when Brenton Lawrence comes off contract at the Titans. He's big, aggressive and has delivered when called upon to play in FG. He's mostly used as depth behind guys like Bailey, Douglas, Myles and White so I don't think he would cost that much to bring over if you promised him more FG time. Seems to fit in the Bennett mould for props, runs straight and hard and has a decent work rate. He's 27 which is a good age for a prop who is ready to hit their straps.

Of course the question that needs to be asked is whether we recruit a prop or if we just persist with developing some of the promising young guys at our club like Tets, KOD, Rochow and Sims.

shane1970

Juniors
Lewis is nowhere near the games best backrower. At his best he's top 3 but he has a habit of turning up only twice a month and been pretty ordinary the other two games. Gallen, Watmough, Thaiday, Myles, Bird, Williams and Stewart are all backrowers who beat Lewis for quantity and quality IMO.
Totally agree RABK - hence the reason he is not worth this HUGE 500K pay - yep I'd have him in a heartbeat - but NOT at that pricetag - Penrith didn't even wanna try and keep him and he was only gonna cost them 300K - says something dont it

Silent Knight

First Grade

It's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. I haven't given up on young Tyrone just yet and he does have the privelige of working under the master coach. The same coach that was instrumental in helping a young Darren Lockyer, and actually turning average players like Shane Perry and Ben Hornby into grand final winning halfbacks.

shane1970

Juniors
It's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. I haven't given up on young Tyrone just yet and he does have the privelige of working under the master coach. The same coach that was instrumental in helping a young Darren Lockyer, and actually turning average players like Shane Perry and Ben Hornby into grand final winning halfbacks.
Silent if you for ONE second think that Tyrone is gonna keep Kids out of a starting spot - mate sorry but you are seriously deluded

Wayne did say though Tyrone was close to the drop. He played what he saw last night instead of overstructured inhibited play. A good example was instead of shifting it to Darius, who was positioned on the left, he threw the cutout to McManus instead and backed himself. Boyd with his presence put the defence in two minds as they were waiting for him to receive the ball to buy them time to slide
On McManus but the cutout came instead. A set play maybe?

Burwood

Bench
If Roberts has a good finish to the year, Kidley has to be looked at as a hooker in tandem with Buderus in 2013 and then as our 80 minute hooker in 2014. Let Kidley start the match with Buderus on the bench, and then move him into the backrow when Buderus comes on for his 30 minutes or so of game time.

I'm a bit worried about the makeup of our team if Adams ever turns out to be Buderus' replacement.

Rolla

Juniors
Tyrone showed he has the ability. But if he has a shot at Gidley's position full time he will need another 7 of those this season. For all his Faults we have missed the captain a lot this year.

I will add that his performance screamed 5/8 not Halfback IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts