What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spot On

Coach
Tyrone showed he has the ability. But if he has a shot at Gidley's position full time he will need another 7 of those this season. For all his Faults we have missed the captain a lot this year.

I will add that his performance screamed 5/8 not Halfback IMO

I have asked this many times before and never been given an answer.

Is his best position second receiver??? Is that where he has played most his footy?

Spot On

Coach
Don't worry Spot - There's 2 spots on the bus ;-)

I know Bennett rates Gidley as one of the best players in the comp but not even he can turn him into a halfback.

Personally, I think Gidley's body will keep falling apart.

Will be interesting to see if Tyrone can improve on what he did this week over the last seven weeks.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Totally agree RABK - hence the reason he is not worth this HUGE 500K pay - yep I'd have him in a heartbeat - but NOT at that pricetag - Penrith didn't even wanna try and keep him and he was only gonna cost them 300K - says something dont it

The thing is on the current open market - when the likes of Gallen, Thaiday, Stewart, et al are NOT on the market - to teams that need a player of his calibre he is worth every bit of $500K. Probably more.

If all the Origin second rowers were on the open market at once - agree. But the thing is they aren't, so he is. Particularly when a club like Parramatta are prepared to throw 15% of their salary cap at him.

A player's worth should not be amped up because there is a lack of marquee players on the market at the time he goes free agent. I think if it was the end of next year Lewie's value would fall especially given names like, Soward, Matt Scott, Tamou, Pearce, Thurston, Tate, Inglis, Burgess, Creagh and Cordner all come up for renewal. To a man I believe those players are all waiting till the TV deal is done before they sign a thing. If there are equal or better options teams will always offer less intially. We may well end up with any of those. Burgess will be worth every part of 500 K and above and will be the most sort after forward in the game next year.

Lewis either plays for us cos he wants in for the opportunities or else he can take the money from Tigers, Cronulla or Parra and wonder what if as we go from strength to strength.

Last edited:

voltron

Juniors
bennett was saying how he had to give roberts time
being a young guy, they need time to mature

in the press conference, he was saying how you had to give belief and have patience with the bloke
and hopefully that is starting to pay off

RABK

Referee
Call me mad but i'd take James Tamou over any other forward in the game including Burgess 100 times out of 100. I haven't had such a big opinion of a prop forward since Glenn Lazurus. He's worth 600k, fair dinkum. No team loses the forward battle when he's on the field - they hurl numbers at him and he surges forward unabated. It must take huge amounts of gas out of the opposing team just to 'contain' him to a measly 130-150m.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Call me mad but i'd take James Tamou over any other forward in the game including Burgess 100 times out of 100. I haven't had such a big opinion of a prop forward since Glenn Lazurus. He's worth 600k, fair dinkum.

600k? Big call but fair enough.

I'm also a big fan. One of those bigger, faster and more athletic godlike players. Would LOVE to see him here.

aqua_duck

Coach
Call me mad but i'd take James Tamou over any other forward in the game including Burgess 100 times out of 100. I haven't had such a big opinion of a prop forward since Glenn Lazurus. He's worth 600k, fair dinkum. No team loses the forward battle when he's on the field - they hurl numbers at him and he surges forward unabated. It must take huge amounts of gas out of the opposing team just to 'contain' him to a measly 130-150m.
Its funny because he played NYC for the roosters and didn't look like anything special, from memory John Kite was 100 times better in NYC and the cowboys picked him up on the cheap after his NYC eligibility had finished and he's just improved out of sight since. I guess the message I'm trying to get across is there are James Tamou's out there if you look hard enough

Johns Magic

Referee
Starting to look more and more like we're after Jeremy Smith:

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...knights-hunting-for-jeremy-smith/2624615.aspx

A two-year deal and I'd love it. To be honest I'm warming more and more to the idea of signing him over Lewis every day. I think Smith is the better leader and competitor and would probably be a couple of hundred thousand cheaper as well. That's money that will come in handy next time we're in the hunt for a big-name player. I think we win if we get Lewis or Smith really.

Also says we are paying 80K per year for Wes, so Penrith must be footing the other 120K.

aqua_duck

Coach
smith probably plays abit harder but he's just another straight runner, Lewis has ball playing ability and game breaking ability

Johns Magic

Referee
Probably plays a bit harder? Try twice as hard.

Lewis is the classier player but Smith isn't a bad second prize, especially for a team looking for leadership in the forwards. The extra 200K might come in handy as well.

Rod

Bench
I would be more than happy with a two-year deal, it sounds a lot better than 3 TBH given the qualms we were having about his age etc. I think he'd be an awesome addition.

One thing I am suprised hasn't got a mention is Jeremy's injury time, has he played more then 70% of games in the last 3 years and he isn't getting any younger.

No doubting his toughness but we don't want another Kennedy for his last couple of years here.

Joker's Wild

Coach

Mate, I get laughed at for suggesting the Cows are my tip for the premiers this year and a big reason for my belief in that is Tamou. He and Scott work so well up the front for that side, giving their outside men a tonne of room and time.

Mate, I get laughed at for suggesting the Cows are my tip for the premiers this year and a big reason for my belief in that is Tamou. He and Scott work so well up the front for that side, giving their outside men a tonne of room and time.

How anyone could laugh at The Cowboys being potential premiers is beyond me. They are the most perfectly balanced side in the comp. Something has changed this year with them and it is clearly defence coming first and rolling their attack off the back of it. They actually look very structured like Melbourne. No more reckless abandon crap in attack. Ash Graham is deadset the most underrated finisher in the game. Tate is in career best form. JT with that incredible forward pack rolling up field is just poetry in motion and Matty B can chip in whenever he likes rather than being the second receiver for JT all the time.

I see Bulldogs versus Cowboys in the Grand Final if current form dictates proceedings. Storm look to have peaked far too early. The Cows and Bulldogs packs going for each others jugulars in a Grand Final will be heaven to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts