What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I guess no one has taken them seriously since 05 and most punters cant let go of that.

You've pretty much nailed that assessment of them right there bro. They actually seem a more professional and well coached side than previous years

We have to make a play for Pearce if the rumours are true.

I don't know about that anymore. He looks to crumble badly under pressure. That missed tackle on Thurston cost us another Origin series. A absolutely horrendous defensive error that was. Imagine paying 500 K for him and he does that in a grand final. Tell me you are glad he is here then. He is in my humble opinion living off a name and has played behind a very competent forward pack for many years and has been unable to do anything with that room. He went missing in the 2010 GF once The Dragons turned the screws in defence. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time but he is just average. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah I'm not sold on Pearce at his price tag.

I just get the feeling that someone just as good could come out of nowhere and save us 400K a year.

Pearce just doesn't have the instincts of the top halves.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I'm happy with Gidley or Roberts at 7. All we need is Smith/Lewis and a prop. Possibly a centre in 2014 for when Tahu may retire, too.

Yosh

Coach
I have a niggling feeling JSmith might go Costigan on us... Lewis will play great wherever he may end up. I guess Wayne and Tinks are doing all they can so i'm confident whatever happens we wont be getting the short end if the stick like years gone by.

perverse

Referee
Pre-Origin I was all for getting Pearce. I can't see him ever getting any better than he is now, though. Is really no better than Mullen when it comes to consistency and stepping up to the plate when it matters. He's not the answer. He'd be good if you could get him at a reasonable price, but he'll be on rep money at least... and he's not worth it.

I have a niggling feeling JSmith might go Costigan on us... Lewis will play great wherever he may end up. I guess Wayne and Tinks are doing all they can so i'm confident whatever happens we wont be getting the short end if the stick like years gone by.

Difference is Costigans had a lot of potential for years and shown it for 12-18 months.

Smith has been quality for most of his career.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah Smith has been at three clubs over his career and just gone from strength to strength at each one. Two of those clubs were the Storm and Dragons at their peak.

He had the perfect excuse to throw the towel in when he signed for Cronulla a couple of years back but he's been a massive part of their turnaround since.

The worries about his age and injuries sound a lot like when Manly signed BK. I hope if we snare him he can have a similar effect.

Nuffy

Bench
I think Pearce would benefit from 3 years under Bennett and he might become the footballer many expect.

Frankly he needs to get out of the Eastern Suburbs, away from the bright lights and have a few years focussed on his footy. He's a young guy who needs to give himself every chance to realise his potential.

I think Bennett could provide a solid argument, if Pearce spent 3 years honing his game, the riches would come after that and he'd still be a young man at the end of it.

aqua_duck

Coach
Was reading in the telecrap that Lewis wants his new club to help him prepare for life after football, I hear the mining sector pays quite well.....

RABK

Referee
Cushy admin/manager role burwood. Sign a few sheets of paper a day, send a couple of emails, 250k per year.

Burwood

Bench
I'm sure Tinks could hook him up with something

His manager has been quoted as saying that Lewis wants a life after footy in footy, similar to Wests Tigers sending Skandalis over to the US to be trained as a strength and conditioning coach.

Tinkler could arrange that, but it wouldn't be something unique to our club. And I somehow get the feeling Lewis isn't looking for an office job in retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts