What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
Angelina is a free agent. Wouldn't mind her at 9 definitely will improve morale. Will attract sponsors and bums on seats, but could affect the boys focus

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tony Archer just said that if you have momentum in the tackle, the tacklers have to get off quickly. And if you get driven back, the tacklers can be slower. Does that make any sense, given that you've already gained or lost the ground? Why compound the effect, and make it more complicated to boot?
It's about the expectation of a quick play-the-ball. There are so many penalties because every attacker expects a quick play-the-ball, no matter how badly he was smashed, while the defenders expect to be able to get their line set and have both markers in position, no matter how damaging the run was. At least this way there can be some agreement - if the defence won the tackle the play-the-ball will be slow, and any bullshit will be seen as milking. But if the attacker won, by pushing through some defenders, then the play-the-ball will be quick and the defenders need to backpedal, with markers out of play.

It's about the expectation of a quick play-the-ball. There are so many penalties because every attacker expects a quick play-the-ball, no matter how badly he was smashed, while the defenders expect to be able to get their line set and have both markers in position, no matter how damaging the run was. At least this way there can be some agreement - if the defence won the tackle the play-the-ball will be slow, and any bullshit will be seen as milking. But if the attacker won, by pushing through some defenders, then the play-the-ball will be quick and the defenders need to backpedal, with markers out of play.
I think it introduces a needless complication. How much advantage do you get, and does it increase the further through the line you go? If you bust the line you've already got an advantage, and the defenders backpedaling. Just police the markers and the ten as the rules say.

I admit though that depending where you are on the field the current penalty system may not give you your just desserts.

Keyser Kint

Juniors
First time poster....

I'm excited about the playing roster and I'm feeling confident about next year except for the fact we have not got an accomplished goalkicker. I think goalkicking is such an important aspect that not having a good kicker could potentially cost 4-5 games a year. Why isn't BA targeting a goal kicker that can make our top 13 a priority? Am I missing something? I assume Guth, Semi or maybe Taka might be groomed to take goal kicks but I do not know their level of skill. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think it introduces a needless complication. How much advantage do you get, and does it increase the further through the line you go? If you bust the line you've already got an advantage, and the defenders backpedaling. Just police the markers and the ten as the rules say.

I admit though that depending where you are on the field the current penalty system may not give you your just desserts.
It's more about making clear whether or not there will be a penalty in a sloppy ruck. Dropped ball? Markers taken out or ball played off the mark? Is it the attacker's fault? The defender's? Especially when there's a dropped ball there needs to be a call. Who should have the advantage? It's not as black and white as you imply. The only thing they can do is give us some consistency. There will always be doubt so benefit of the doubt has to go somewhere. This call tries to address that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
First time poster....

I'm excited about the playing roster and I'm feeling confident about next year except for the fact we have not got an accomplished goalkicker. I think goalkicking is such an important aspect that not having a good kicker could potentially cost 4-5 games a year. Why isn't BA targeting a goal kicker that can make our top 13 a priority? Am I missing something? I assume Guth, Semi or maybe Taka might be groomed to take goal kicks but I do not know their level of skill. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Welcome to the nuthouse.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
My old man said he heard we had signed a cowboys winger he couldnt remember his name and i dont have a clue who he would be talking it. Have we been linked to anyone from the cowboys

It's more about making clear whether or not there will be a penalty in a sloppy ruck. Dropped ball? Markers taken out or ball played off the mark? Is it the attacker's fault? The defender's? Especially when there's a dropped ball there needs to be a call. Who should have the advantage? It's not as black and white as you imply. The only thing they can do is give us some consistency. There will always be doubt so benefit of the doubt has to go somewhere. This call tries to address that.

That's not quite what I'm getting at. The ruck is a mess, granted, but deciding how long it lasts depending on how far forward or backward they went seems like it's giving even more power to the refs. Not to mention headaches and opportunities for people to accuse them of bias. Clear up the definition of 'held' might be better.

Last edited:

Latest posts