What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Hodgson (if he stays fit), he will create more space around the ruck. Thus giving our forwards more 1 on 1 opportunities (or offload chances) or give our halves more space to run.

Yes 2022 was crap for Hodgson, but in 2021 he was very good. He had more TA, TB and running metres then 2022 Mahoney. They also both defended at 92%.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
well they say play to your strengths, and f**k me Mahoney has a very good long pass

It was a great way to get the ball away from the ruck and have our edge forwards cutting back against the grain, usually running at isolated defenders. But I think it also hindered us at points, especially when we weren't getting those quick play the balls. Often times we played too wide and cramped our edges. Shorter passes around the ruck is how we'll have to play this year.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hodgson (if he stays fit), he will create more space around the ruck. Thus giving our forwards more 1 on 1 opportunities (or offload chances) or give our halves more space to run.

Yes 2022 was crap for Hodgson, but in 2021 he was very good. He had more TA, TB and running metres then 2022 Mahoney. They also both defended at 92%.

Maybe a year off freshened his body also

hindy111

Post Whore
It was a great way to get the ball away from the ruck and have our edge forwards cutting back against the grain, usually running at isolated defenders. But I think it also hindered us at points, especially when we weren't getting those quick play the balls. Often times we played too wide and cramped our edges. Shorter passes around the ruck is how we'll have to play this year.

Yes. This is how Penrith gassed us in Grand final. It was all to fast. I always feel the best way to best them is a slow game.
Kick for touch. Talk to reff. Fake cramps and injuries etc. Stop start so there little forwards can't wear you out.

lucablight

First Grade
Yes. This is how Penrith gassed us in Grand final. It was all to fast. I always feel the best way to best them is a slow game.
Kick for touch. Talk to reff. Fake cramps and injuries etc. Stop start so there little forwards can't wear you out.
It was really frustrating to see Moses continuously kick it to To’o and Edwards who were murdering us on the kick returns

hineyrulz

Post Whore
"Goosebumps" is the word of the day!
Season 1 Episode 6 GIF by America's Got Talent

yy_cheng

Coach
I think coach doesnt change the game plan. Sometimes he does at half time. He believes in the long game so basically persist with the plan until the end.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just because Hodgo possesses different skills to Rheed dosent mean BA will change his formula of no run, long pass to the halves. Thats why Im interested to see if Rheeds game changes at the Dogs. Its honestly very exciting.
I thought our formula was one out shit up the middle? Surely Hodgson will help with that.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
"Million Dollar Man Moses", eh?

I like the guy, but you're right - he should have been slowing the game down, not adding to the speed of it.

The way penrith defend if you kicked before the last you'd be kicking between your own 20 and the 30 on the back-foot. Waiting to the last you will have less space but you'll be over the 30. Even off a set play the ball they'd still have their back 5 doing the bulk of the carries.

You have to chance your hand against them. Offloads, 2-3 passes off the ruck. You have to negate their quick line speed. We tried to do it kicking on the 2nd with Moses racing through, unfortunately we must have telegraphed it as To'o was there to clean it up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How i wish we had set plays like souths

I have seen over the few years some incredible set plays inside the opposition 20 but we hardly ever produce them over and over.

Granted that we do try to reproduce the lane ones but there were also matto ones and especially jnr ones on run around plays or hit and spin then offload plays.

Its like we are just eyes up or crash pkays in the 20 rather than setting up for a set play
Souths have some very instinctive playmakers who make these set plays work. Each merkin passing the ball needs to make a split second decision in reaction to the defence. It's not all predetermined or else the opposition would know how to shut it down. Everything you see is just one of the possible outcomes. The difference is the decision makers, not the play itself.

yy_cheng

Coach
Souths have some very instinctive playmakers who make these set plays work. Each merkin passing the ball needs to make a split second decision in reaction to the defence. It's not all predetermined or else the opposition would know how to shut it down. Everything you see is just one of the possible outcomes. The difference is the decision makers, not the play itself.
we probably also have those instinctive players too. But if we dont practice it, they wont use it