What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
All that but still has’t won anything. Edwards is probably the best Fullback behind Teddy. And yeah he has won 2 Comps.

500k sounds about on the money for Edwards before his next contract.
Some great players dont win comps.

Players get lucky or unlucky where they end up.

Tommy Turbo has won the same amount of Dally M Medals then Finals games so far.

If he doesnt get his hamstring sorted he wont win a comp

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think this Moses re signing circus has gone on long enough, Crichton a two time premiership winner is willing to take a significant pay cut to stay loyal, this greedy little turd, who has won zero as yet, wants to squeeze club for every $$….well done gutho u have set a very shitty bar, I think Moses should be let go….these players have no respect for the club, unlike the panthers, I really don’t think he is worth anywhere near that money, and if he signs we know it’s purely for the $$$$$$ , go on piss off, Gillard was the same squeezed us for every $$$ and all of a sudden he was loyal, he had as good as signed with dolphins until we caved

It's pretty easy to take less money, and remain loyal, when you're signing for the reigning Premiers...

hindy111

Post Whore
If everyone fit id throw it out there to be like this. I also would say nearly everyone listed would have some chance of playing NRL this season if they step up their games.

1Gutherson - ???
2 Sivo - Dunster
3 Pensini - Cini
4 Waqa - Laziou
5 Russel - Simmonson
6 D.Brown - Asi
7 Moses- JA
8 JNR- Ogden
9 Hodgson - Hands
10 RCG - Makatoa
11 LANE - Matalele
12 MATTERSON - Bryce
13 Hopgood - Rodwell

14 Rein - Yates
15 Doorey - Moimesea
16 Tapua/Brown - Greig
17 Murchie - TEVITA

Morretti is still there. I reckon Larry may start getting time in NSW cup also.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bullshit. The better any go forward the better you'll be.
Sure but you pay for it, meaning if you have less need you wouldn't want to pay as much.
Edwards ripped us apart in grand final.
That's because our defensive weakness is specifically against little merkins through the middle. It's why Souths always carve us up, with Cook and Murray. Edwards might've averaged over 220m per game but in his four games against us he averaged 254 metres per game. Against all other teams his average was 217m.
Our back 3 gave us little go forward all year untill SIVO returned. We where a different team then.
He averaged 129 metres. Hardly a difference maker. Gutherson had more, though he had a poor year by his standards: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premiership/eels/clinton-gutherson/

hindy111

Post Whore
Sure but you pay for it, meaning if you have less need you wouldn't want to pay as much.

That's because our defensive weakness is specifically against little merkins through the middle. It's why Souths always carve us up, with Cook and Murray. Edwards might've averaged over 220m per game but in his four games against us he averaged 254 metres per game. Against all other teams his average was 217m.

He averaged 129 metres. Hardly a difference maker. Gutherson had more, though he had a poor year by his standards: https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premiership/eels/clinton-gutherson/

I noticed we looked far better with SIVO in side. We had oomph. He very quickly established himself as our best back.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Read what I said. They didn't rate at fullback.
Or they just rated Perham a better fullback option than a teenager. Also with Gutherson at fullback there is no real NRL opportunity for Russell.
We had no back up for fullback all season bar Perham. Russel if we see as a fullback should be playing there every week in reserves. If we played him on wing its cause we see him more as a winger.
With the outside backs crisis I'm sure we did see him more as a winger. He was a backup last year, and if he was needed it was more likely on the wing. With Perham in the squad and Sivo out for half the year, as soon as we lost Dunster we needed Russell to cover wing more than we needed him at fullback. These are all the factors, not just whether we 'rate' him as a fullback or not. He is 20 years old ffs. He has a long way to go. The year Dylan Edwards turned 20 he played half the season in NYC.

hindy111

Post Whore
Or they just rated Perham a better fullback option than a teenager. Also with Gutherson at fullback there is no real NRL opportunity for Russell.

With the outside backs crisis I'm sure we did see him more as a winger. He was a backup last year, and if he was needed it was more likely on the wing. With Perham in the squad and Sivo out for half the year, as soon as we lost Dunster we needed Russell to cover wing more than we needed him at fullback. These are all the factors, not just whether we 'rate' him as a fullback or not. He is 20 years old ffs. He has a long way to go. The year Dylan Edwards turned 20 he played half the season in NYC.

Well apparently in training he is looking very good. He has upside and I would prefer we started him or Haze then Simmonson. I don’t mind Simmonson but I don't see a lot of upside.

Avenger

Immortal
Well apparently in training he is looking very good. He has upside and I would prefer we started him or Haze then Simmonson. I don’t mind Simmonson but I don't see a lot of upside.
Need to give you guys some insights besides the stuff you read on TCT.

All players that we acquired came with very poor conditioning. They all need to get fitter. The exception has been Hodgson. One in particular was in terrible condition but he has an excuse because he was returning from an ACL. Nobody apart from Hodgson has stood out like Papali’i did a few years back. I think we are hoping more than realising that our recruits are quite standard because we have already put most of our chips in the spine, the frontrow and upgraded a few others.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well apparently in training he is looking very good.
Yeah and he might be a chance of playing every game on the wing this year. If he plays fullback it will mean Gutherson was unavailable.
He has upside and I would prefer we started him or Haze then Simmonson. I don’t mind Simmonson but I don't see a lot of upside.
Agreed. But I also thought Simonsson looked better at centre than wing.

yy_cheng

Coach
Read what I said. They didn't rate at fullback.
We had no back up for fullback all season bar Perham. Russel if we see as a fullback should be playing there every week in reserves. If we played him on wing its cause we see him more as a winger.
Its what i really dont get and i have whinged before.

We dont groom a fb. Ba doesn't think guth will get injured like he didnt think mahoney would get injured a few years back.

I mean rankin played fb in Reggies. Wth for?

Yeah that's my issue with Russel. He doesn't seem to have a wingers tough run style. Unless they do see him as a long term fullback but to keep him want to give him time in NRL till Gutherson contract is done.
Hayne started as a winger to Luke Burt at fullback, until he had enough top level experience to take on the fullback role. Could just be the same way of blooding a pitential future fullback, learning off the senior/more experienced player?

Latest posts