What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
My counter point to that would be that it's probably easier to jump ship for the extra cash once you've won a premiership, let alone 2 in the case of Crighton. I would say it's harder to jump for extra cash because more than likely, and as is the case for Crighton, he is being offered a lot more by a weaker team. So, in the case of Moses - do you take the extra 100-200K a year to go to the Dogs or Tigers but start from scratch at a premiership tilt? Or do you look at the team you've got at Parra and say to yourself, my best chance at a premiership is staying with the Eels?

Crighton has 2 premierships now. What's left to prove at the Panthers? And if they can't get anywhere near the Bulldogs offer, why would he stay? He's still got plenty of years in him at NRL level - the challenge of turning the Dogs in to a contender in the next 4-5 years might hold genuine appeal (+plenty of extra $$'s)

So yeah, I reckon it's harder to take less money and remain loyal when you're re-signing for the reigning Premiers...

I'd say his upbringing, and where he is from, will have a huge role to play in that.

Not to mention that it's far easier to stay where you are, and where you know your role, than to dip yoye feet into uncharted waters.

hindy111

Post Whore
Moses would have as good a chance or better if he went to the DOGS I reckon.
The Tigers also would be a dam strong side if they added Moses to what they have.

emjaycee

Coach
Hayne started as a winger to Luke Burt at fullback, until he had enough top level experience to take on the fullback role. Could just be the same way of blooding a pitential future fullback, learning off the senior/more experienced player?
Luke Burt played approx. 50 games as wing, centre or came off the bench before getting his first FB run on game... another 20 before getting his second and more than 125 in total until he became the regular fullback (for only 40 odd games). We had mostly B Hodgson and McKinnon keeping him out of that spot for the first seven years of his career. Once Hayne took the FB spot it was his and Burt only covered there when Jaryd was playing in 6 or wasnt playing.

IIRC that Gutho also spent some time on the wing (and centre and five-eighth) when he joined us too and only got the regular #1 in his 4th year with us.

Russel has heaps of time to become a fullback.

Eelogical

Referee
I'd say his upbringing, and where he is from, will have a huge role to play in that.

Not to mention that it's far easier to stay where you are, and where you know your role, than to dip yoye feet into uncharted waters.
Footy playing merkins need to be challenged. IF I'd won two titles with the Panthers I'd love to right the wrong, accepting bigger bikkies elsewhere would go towards icing the cake.

Incorrect

Coach

If a counter offer from the Dogs is upwards of 200K more per annum than what the Panthers can give him, I think leaving the Panthers for uncharted waters at Belmore is made a lot easier given he would do so with 2 premiership rings in his back pocket... And it's only a move to Belmore, not Auckland or Townsville so it's not like he wouldn't be able to still hang out with those Panfer malaka's away from the footy field if he so desires ...

In saying all of that, Cam Munster has a couple of premiership rings and stayed at Melbourne for less apparently so it's not unheard of either... Although in his case, he doesn't have the luxury of joining a team in the same town as where his current footy mates are....

With Moses, the article notes his agent is (cousin?) Isaac Moses... so I expect Isaac is just doing his job to push Parra's offer as high as it reasonably needs to go for Mitchell to re-sign (albeit for unders compared to other offers, but maximised in terms of what they can get the Eels to give).

hindy111

Post Whore
If a counter offer from the Dogs is upwards of 200K more per annum than what the Panthers can give him, I think leaving the Panthers for uncharted waters at Belmore is made a lot easier given he would do so with 2 premiership rings in his back pocket... And it's only a move to Belmore, not Auckland or Townsville so it's not like he wouldn't be able to still hang out with those Panfer malaka's away from the footy field if he so desires ...

In saying all of that, Cam Munster has a couple of premiership rings and stayed at Melbourne for less apparently so it's not unheard of either... Although in his case, he doesn't have the luxury of joining a team in the same town as where his current footy mates are....

Big difference. Melbourne to Qld is a big move.
Penrith to Belmore not so much.

Storm a successful club vs Dolphins who have the worse squad going around.

Penrith best squad vs Dogs a side that's building well and has big backings. Would be pushing for finals by time arrived and maybe even top 4.

Eelogical

Referee
Big difference. Melbourne to Qld is a big move.
Penrith to Belmore not so much.

Storm a successful club vs Dolphins who have the worse squad going around.

Penrith best squad vs Dogs a side that's building well and has big backings. Would be pushing for finals by time arrived and maybe even top 4.
Hell to heaven. What's not to like?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I didn’t mean Gutherson was ordinary because he hasn’t won a Comp, I just think overall Edwards is a better player.
Personally, I disagree - but I think both are great players.

I love Gutherson, but I actually think Edwards would be a better fit for us - a tackle-breaking running machine, as opposed to a skilful, ball-playing fullback.

Eelementary

Post Whore

No, it's definitely not unheard of.

Matter of fact, I think Nathan Hindmarsh took less to stay here.

But I'd say it's the outlier - they want to make as much money as possible in as short a period of time as possible.