What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Give me some scenarios Pou. What’s he worth to us? It’s all very exciting. Even if he leaves it is because I reckon we will opt to blood Sanders and possibly go for someone else as a marquee possibly a dynamic fullback.
We definitely don’t want to overpay. We still have him for this year, on a presumably reasonable contract. At the end of the year he will be 29. He might have five or six years remaining as a first grader but he also might be on the decline for all of them.

You’re right that Gutherson’s versatility means we have plenty of options.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I assume we will get a decision on moses in the next week or two.

He has had the Christmas break to make up his mind. All other major playmakers in the game that were off contract have made there decision.

Time for Mitch to make his decision one way or another so planning for 2024 is easier for the club.
Don’t forget he has a player option. He can turn down any offer he wants until the option deadline. That at least covers him for 2024. Then in November he’s back on the market, though a year older and perhaps in worse form or injured.

hindy111

Post Whore
Any talk of Simonsson at fullback should be considered a joke. Gutherson isn’t as fast as Simonsson yet he is infinitely smarter which is why he is the best bang for buck fullback in the comp. I think he is better than Dylan Edwards who is a similar type of player however Gutherson is more versatile thus more valuable.

Ha that's laughable. Edwards signed for about 200-250k less.
He is stronger, faster, breaks more tackles. Guth has better ball playing. Edwards is the 2nd best fullback in comp behind Teddy on form.

lingard

Coach
1. Dyl or moses

6.dyl or moses
7. Ja

That will be our team if guth is out.

In games where guth got injured moses played fullback
I don't think that's sensible at all (not saying it won't happen). Can you imagine if Penrith's fullback went down that they would move Cleary there? Besides, Moses hardly any experience at fullback, and his defence is not good enough.

Avenger

Immortal
Ha that's laughable. Edwards signed for about 200-250k less.
He is stronger, faster, breaks more tackles. Guth has better ball playing. Edwards is the 2nd best fullback in comp behind Teddy on form.
You reckon Edwards is on $500k? LOL.

Gutherson is a better player. In Edwards’ best ever year he still couldn’t make origin. Gutherson last year scored more tries, had more try assists, more line breaks,
more line break assists than Edwards and he is more valuable than Edwards which is why he is on more money. And I reckon the difference is about $100k not what you suggest which highlights Gutherson’s bang for buck.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore

Gutherson is a better player. In Edwards’ best ever year he still couldn’t make origin. Gutherson last year scored more tries, had more try assists, more line breaks,
more line break assists than Edwards and he is more valuable than Edwards which is why he is on more money. I reckon the difference is about $100k not what you suggest.

Gutherson signed for 780k. Edwards signed prior to season 2022 kicking off.Wpuld be 550k MAX. His form prior was seen as a very good fullback but not in the top 6. His 2022 form went up 2 levels.

He average 220+mtrs a game and he missed 20 tackles all season vs 48 from Guth. Of fullbacks Edwards had Most run meters, 2nd most tackles breaks behind Teddy, most post contact meter, most support play runs. Best defense.

His ball playing isn't his strength.

Avenger

Immortal
Gutherson signed for 780k. Edwards signed prior to season 2022 kicking off.Wpuld be 550k MAX. His form prior was seen as a very good fullback but not in the top 6. His 2022 form went up 2 levels.

He average 220+mtrs a game and he missed 20 tackles all season vs 48 from Guth. Of fullbacks Edwards had Most run meters, 2nd most tackles breaks behind Teddy, most post contact meter, most support play runs. Best defense.

There is no doubt he has improved but I think he is a little one dimensional. I prefer Gutho.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Conversely, though - we're comparing a career-best year from Edwards, to an arguably sedated year from Gutherson.

Prior to 2022, Gutherson was arguably the best defensive fullback in the NRL.

Glenneel

Bench
1. Dyl or moses

6.dyl or moses
7. Ja

That will be our team if guth is out.

In games where guth got injured moses played fullback
JA not ready to run NRL team yet imho, has vision and some footy smarts, but seems slow to make a decision which puts handbrake on team attack. Had an absolutely poor game early last season when Dyl went to centre, can't remember against whom.

Sanders is young, probably has plenty of potential (haven't seem him play yet), but his youth could count against him. Need experience before becoming a good NRL player and most halfbacks don't become good until about 25yo with 50-100 games played.

I'd put Guth at 7 and get top quality fb until we have/get decent half. But doubt BA will do that with his son available. As I've said before, JA would be better served leaving to another club were nepotism not an issue.

hindy111

Post Whore
Conversely, though - we're comparing a career-best year from Edwards, to an arguably sedated year from Gutherson.

Prior to 2022, Gutherson was arguably the best defensive fullback in the NRL.

Sure. He has always had injury plagued seasons tho. Fullbacks who can bring the ball back strongly is huge.It is just like having another strong winger. Means the defense has to be holding a good kick chase and kicker needs to place kicks better.

Gutherson is a great leader and ball player. His run game but is poor. Can't break tackles or bust the line. Still a great player.
Thing is if you have ball playing halves and hooker which we do then you'd prefer a fullback with a strong run game over pass game as have that covered.

yy_cheng

Coach
JA not ready to run NRL team yet imho, has vision and some footy smarts, but seems slow to make a decision which puts handbrake on team attack. Had an absolutely poor game early last season when Dyl went to centre, can't remember against whom.

Sanders is young, probably has plenty of potential (haven't seem him play yet), but his youth could count against him. Need experience before becoming a good NRL player and most halfbacks don't become good until about 25yo with 50-100 games played.

I'd put Guth at 7 and get top quality fb until we have/get decent half. But doubt BA will do that with his son available. As I've said before, JA would be better served leaving to another club were nepotism not an issue.
We're talking about if guth is out.

If ja went to another club, he'll probably have less chance playing nrl so why would he

hineyrulz

Post Whore

more line break assists than Edwards and he is more valuable than Edwards which is why he is on more money. And I reckon the difference is about $100k not what you suggest which highlights Gutherson’s bang for buck.
Edwards would struggle in our back line.

King-Gutho94

Coach
How would Dylan Edwards go at the tigers for example.

Would he have the same impact as he does in a well-oiled machine that the panthers are.

Cloeel

Juniors
According to Buzz -
(Foxsports article)

Moses offers are

Tigers towards 1.4m
Bulldogs 1.2m
Parra Slightly above 1m

Moses and his manager have another meeting with Parra this week to try squeeze a bit more out of them.

From memory it seems a similar situation to Munsters (in terms of competitive offers) and he took far less to stay. I personally would like see Parra not move at all and run the gauntlet.

Avenger

Immortal
According to Buzz -
(Foxsports article)

Moses offers are

Tigers towards 1.4m
Bulldogs 1.2m
Parra Slightly above 1m

Moses and his manager have another meeting with Parra this week to try squeeze a bit more out of them.

From memory it seems a similar situation to Munsters (in terms of competitive offers) and he took far less to stay. I personally would like see Parra not move at all and run the gauntlet.
Didn’t I report this yesterday? Buzz loves reading my posts.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Meanwhile, some of Cobbo’s other comments from the podcast appearance have raised eyebrows with the 20-year-old revealing he left the Broncos’ crunch Round 24 clash last season at halftime.

Cobbo was rested from the match and still had faint finals hopes but they were thwarted in a dismal 53-6 hammering by Parramatta. The winger said he had seen enough at halftime when Brisbane were trailing 31-6.

“I sat out that game. They make you go to the game and I left at halftime because we were getting flogged,” Cobbo said.“I just sneaked out.”

@hineyrulz i am sure you are all over this one with the broncos fans up there.

Latest posts