What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
chicken nuggets toilet GIF
My recent turds have been sliding down one side of the bowl, even though I’m sitting straight. It might be time to see a chiropractor.

TheRam

Coach
The thing I like about Moretti is his size …. speed and footwork in the middle …. Brings something different and adds some balance to our pack

When you are his size under 100kg, about the same weight as Ruben Cotter, then you need to play with the speed, tenacity and heart of Ruben Cotter, who by the way is 24 and look at everything that Rube's has done thus far compared to where Moretti is in his career. Yes I know all players develop differently, but just looking at him, I think he is going to be a handy NRL player at best.

For mine he is very one dimensional and runs out of gas very quickly. Now is that due to needing to get NRL fit or not, we will eventually see, but he is 23 going on 24. As we all know front rowers can take longer to blossom, but time is definitely ticking on this youngish elver who is wishing to turn into an eel.

If I had to make a call on him now, average 1st grader is where I see him settling in to at best. And in a quality roster he will look a little better and have a decent highlights r-eel.

TheRam

Coach
How would he compare to Hopgood? They look similar.

Hopgood is a machine and has skill with the ball. They are roughly the same age and Hopgood would have been playing NRL consistently earlier if he didn't have Yeo in front of him. Moretti is a prop by the way. How do you think Hopgood would be going if he was playing in the front row?

I haven't seen Moretti play anywhere near the quality or output that Hopgood provides at lock. Do you think they have the same skill set?

I see Moretti's greatest asset being real aggression. If he can bring that to the NRL and harness it well and get way more fitter and up to NRL speed, then who knows, he maybe a great point of difference for us, but he needs to lift heaps for all that to happen. And I believe attitude has kept him back the most more then anything and why the Roosters weren't to fussed to see him leave.

But players mature and wise up, so who knows. Lets hope he doesn't rest on his laurels and listens to the coaches around him as I'm sure they are pushing him to keep on going and keep trying even harder. Fitness is his first hurdle at NRL level and then he needs to add intensity and maintain his power. We will see how this plays out.

I brought up Ruben Cotter earlier for a reason. I think a young and aggressive small front rower should base their game on his which is all about line speed, intensity and in your face offensive and defensive legal aggression. Then as he gets older and heavier he can be more the Gallen hitup type. That is why he needs to get super fit and focus on being a machine out there. That would make him irreplaceable and vital to the team. Of course I'm not expecting him to become Cotter, but a version of him that is still very productive and what we need in our team. A tenacious forward that can off put the opposition and is always aggressive with and without the ball.

I don't know if he is mentally tough enough to be that type of player though. He would really need to bust a gut to get there. He strikes me as a player that likes to take a mean first couple of big carries and do his necessary tackles kind of guy. Remember he is 23 and he should have been way more advanced for all the hype about him in his junior years in both League and Union. So like I said attitude seems to have gotten in the way.

Little blokes need to make more contribution then just hit ups and a few tackles, because if that's all they are doing, they won't get far in the NRL against so many giants and tackling machines. They will easily be replaced by the next good to great player coming through. My best tip for him if he wants to stay in the NRL is to become a bit of a mop in defense and a fearless runner with the ball in his carries. Der all very obvious stuff right I know, but he needs to have that approach or he will be very replaceable.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen Moretti play anywhere near the quality or output that Hopgood provides at lock. Do you think they have the same skill set?

I don't think he is big enough and strong enough to have Hoppy's offload ability, not yet anyway

he's young so maybe he can bulk up a bit without losing his mobility

TheRam

Coach
I don't think he is big enough and strong enough to have Hoppy's offload ability, not yet anyway

he's young so maybe he can bulk up a bit without losing his mobility

I didn't say he should be an offload machine like Hopgood. That is a very unique skill to be that good at it and get it right so much of the time. That's why Hopegood is the leading off loader in the comp or there abouts. Moretti needs to be more of a terrier and a go getter type. No real frills but a worker both in attack and defense for his size, like Ruben or he will be a very average player otherwise. Size does matter. He hasn't got the skill set as a smaller player to be a high quality NRL player who can carry the ball like Hopgood or make huge bullocking runs if he was a larger type. So he needs to be agile and a worker, otherwise he will eventually be bypassed for someone that can offer more than a couple of decent hitups and a standard number of tackles a game.

I hope he can increase his intensity and involvement as he gets more NRL fitness into him, but something tells me that he will be just average and he won't get to the levels that make him a must have in the team. But I hope I am wrong, I think he can if he worked hard enough and was mentally prepared to sacrifice and follow everything that is being taught to him. There is potential there, but has he the mind set to go to that other level. I tend to think not from what I have seen of him so far and his previous stints coming through.

He is listed as only being one kilo light than Ruben Cotter.

JokerEel

Coach
Hopgood is a machine and has skill with the ball. They are roughly the same age and Hopgood would have been playing NRL consistently earlier if he didn't have Yeo in front of him. Moretti is a prop by the way. How do you think Hopgood would be going if he was playing in the front row?

Hopgood is playing like a Front Rower at 13... His development was terrific as he didn't get 10-20 a game on the Panfers bench but played 80ish minutes a game in NSWcup playing as the leader in their pack.

Moretti also played his Juniors in the back row. He also had a pretty good tackle coming through and could be used like Liam Martin in the second row. But I fear he will be beefed up to play 10 minutes a game in the front row rotation...

Latest posts