What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really, how hard is it? I don't buy into the notion that pou keeps trotting out for a second that we just don't have the recourses. For a large whack of the last 37 years we have been one of the most profitable and riches clubs in the State. Sure we have in more recent times lost that and have gotten into trouble financially, but that isn't the case now from what I believe.
According to the financial statistics OMC posted, it looks like we have finally recovered from Covid, but for a couple of years the PLC was very tight financially. That was enough to leave a big gap in our junior 'development'.

With the salary cap it's actually hard to funnel excess cash directly into improving your first grade team. Most of the 'creative' ways the club might do it are actually illegal TPAs. The solution is paying for facilities and player-related perks, particularly for players outside the top 30 (i.e. pathways players). The SG Ball win this year was excellent but there is obviously a gap in the age group just above them, no doubt due to reduced funding for recruitment/retention during the Covid years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah nah mate, we have very little in resources, just ask pou.
No I think the resources have been improving since Covid. I even posted about it here:

Well we don't spend as much money as them. Why would our peak be as high as theirs? The Panthers spend so much outside the cap they brought back a coach with a win rate lower than 50%, who had missed the finals seven times in 12 years, just so they could re-sign his son. They spend a phenomenal amount of money on rugby league: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2022/05/02/panthers-reveal-the-price-of-success/

This includes a $22M HQ facility: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2016/03/30/panthers-open-$22-million-academy/

Meanwhile we don't even own our training ground. You're comparing apples with oranges. However in good news we upped our football related spend from $7.5M to $11.8M last year (compared to Penrith's $17M).

The thing is, this spending needs to be sustained, like Penrith has been able to do. Here's the Eels' football-related expenses in recent years:

2016: $9.1M
2017: $6.3M
2018: $8.3M
2019: $10.0M
2020: $5.9M
2021: $7.5M
2022: $11.8M

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/annual-report/

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bring back Fitzy? He's 73 years old...

mr burns GIF
If it's good enough for Wayne Bennett

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Where is this number of $950k for Jnr coming from?
I don't believe for a second that he is earning that much per year.
I do belive he is probably overpaid for his output at the moment, but he can't be earning almost a million dollars a year.
One 'source' makes it up and then everyone else reports it and that's how it becomes 'confirmed by multiple sources'. Anything to stir the dopey footy fans up. Sports journos f**king despise us, and we pay their wages by clicking on their shit f**king stories.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well the notion of Junz getting a rest is gone.

We miss the finals and instead of a break, he goes into boxing training for a stupid gimmick fight (do we not pay him enough already???) and then will go into camp and play the tri-series with Samoa.

I honestly feel like we need to ship him off. It's a shame because i know he loves the club, but he is victim of poor cap management. It's not his fault he's being paid at least $250k above his value.
Is he tired or just overweight? How much rest does he need ffs? He will still have weeks of sitting on his arse over Christmas.

Wally21

Bench
Well the notion of Junz getting a rest is gone.

We miss the finals and instead of a break, he goes into boxing training for a stupid gimmick fight (do we not pay him enough already???) and then will go into camp and play the tri-series with Samoa.

I honestly feel like we need to ship him off. It's a shame because i know he loves the club, but he is victim of poor cap management. It's not his fault he's being paid at least $250k above his value.
This is where the club needs to have some balls and say NO. Unless he has a clause in his contract, it needs to be NO. f**king joke.

Avenger

Immortal
You know what I don’t get about those two fat merkins on TCT. Don’t get me wrong I like some of their content and I love the Eels as much as them but how can you devote all your life to Parra? I mean two grown men going to training sessions, masturbating consistently during preseason, going to after game events, podcasts, debriefs etc etc.

I thought my buddy @emjaycee was bad going to every home game since 1981 but this is next level.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Only a simpleton would suggest he has full control. Go and look at any sports documentary. General Managers are responsible for contracts and budgets, because coaches are not sufficiently independent of the players.

Except it obviously isn't.

Did you not read my post correctly?

Or did you intend to put words in my mouth?

Or are you perhaps attemptimg to provoke an argument?

TheRam

Coach
Actually it was seeing the Broncos squad that broke me. We will never have a team that good. For all the years they were shit those merkins never lost a single player they wanted to keep. And as soon as they found the money they got Walsh to get homesick. I reckon they'll find the 'cap space' to keep Payne Haas too.

That is why another Brisbane team and a Christchurch team need to be the next two franchise licences.

Latest posts