What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Was Asi exposed that much last year to say he isn't a competent first grader. He can do a solid enough job if he is required. At least he looks dangerous and create scoring opportunities.

In 10 games he played we racked up 42 points in a half against the Dolphins, Won at Penrith, Beat Manly with Matto in the halves alongside him.

We won 5 and lost 4 when Asi was in the halves. That was a better win rate then the overall team last year.
I think he showed he was handy backup who would follow the role given him to best of his ability, but that he would also likely struggle to do that over an extended season plus (and they are related) be less able to adapt when a game goes against our game plan.
Even though I think Sanders is the more raw talented of them, he needs to prove himself at least as much as Asi, let alone as much as a regular 1st grade half. I’d hate to lose him but it’s not worth mortgaging our near future over. That said there was also rumour that Asi is likely going back to Cows, so Sanders in the Asi role is more palatable

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think he showed he was handy backup who would follow the role given him to best of his ability, but that he would also likely struggle to do that over an extended season plus (and they are related) be less able to adapt when a game goes against our game plan.
Even though I think Sanders is the more raw talented of them, he needs to prove himself at least as much as Asi, let alone as much as a regular 1st grade half. I’d hate to lose him but it’s not worth mortgaging our near future over. That said there was also rumour that Asi is likely going back to Cows, so Sanders in the Asi role is more palatable
Look we ain't winning the comp if Asi has to play 20 games in the halves.

I dont think he was that horrible last year. He was actually dangerous in a few games running the ball. He also has the utility value off the bench where he can play in the centres as well & possibly FB if required.

I was overseas for 2 months after the Dolphins win to the Roosters game i think in the 3rd last round so i did miss a bit of the freefall at the backend of the year.

But from what i saw in the snippets in that Broncos & Storm losses it looked like it all became too much for the team and they all through the towel in.

I dont think Asi can be blamed for that.

TheCrowe

Juniors
Look we ain't winning the comp if Asi has to play 20 games in the halves.

I dont think he was that horrible last year. He was actually dangerous in a few games running the ball. He also has the utility value off the bench where he can play in the centres as well & possibly FB if required.

I was overseas for 2 months after the Dolphins win to the Roosters game i think in the 3rd last round so i did miss a bit of the freefall at the backend of the year.

But from what i saw in the snippets in that Broncos & Storm losses it looked like it all became too much for the team and they all through the towel in.

I dont think Asi can be blamed for that.
True. He generally played ok and a high percentage of his kicks were contested or found the ground.

84 Baby

Referee
True. He generally played ok and a high percentage of his kicks were contested or found the ground.
This was a stark difference last week between Asi & Sanders. Asi didn’t kick good or bad, but Sanders while his kicks were big, they were ineffectual at best, and at worst Schiller goes the length untouched. Which in a nutshell where those two players are at ATM

TheCrowe

Juniors
This was a stark difference last week between Asi & Sanders. Asi didn’t kick good or bad, but Sanders while his kicks were big, they were ineffectual at best, and at worst Schiller goes the length untouched. Which in a nutshell where those two players are at ATM
Sanders kicking turned the game around in favour of the Raiders.

Avenger

Immortal
It’s about the kick and hang time in the air so the chase can be effective. That’s why nobody kicks for the sidelines anymore unless it’s a 40/20 attempt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Moses is the second best half back in the game at this point, the gap between him and Cleary is huge though. Until Moses can get that killer instinct in him he won’t ever come close really, I definitely could never see Moses doing what Cleary did in the Grand Final last year. That merkin just flipped switch in his head and refused to lose a game that already seemed lost.

Cleary is a phenomenal player. Absolutely unbelievable.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cleary killed it in the last 20 minutes in the GF but for the first 60 minutes, Ezra and Reynolds were in control.
I dont think there is a massive gulf between Cleary and Moses. Id argue Moses D is better, he is faster and his kick is longer. He plays the short side better than anyone. Mitch is also required to do much more 1 on 1 defence usually on rampaging back rowers thanks to our ineffective defensive structure.
Cleary also plays behind a pack that totally controls the ruck and offers him massive protection, a luxury Mitch rarely has.
I reckon Moses has been every bit as effective as Cleary in Origin.
Fu*k Cleary. Love ya Mitch!

Conversely - when the game was well, and truly, over, Cleary stood up, and pried the Premiership out of Brisbane's cold, dead hands.

What he did in the last 20 minutes was nothing short of exceptional.

Parra Pride

Referee
Asi is good in attack his defence is terrible though.
Defence is secondary, you want halves who are dangerous in attack. Defence was about all Robson and Mortimer could do and it really showed how far that got us when Hayne didn’t show up in 2010. Brown is easily the best defensive half in the comp though, and when he has some confidence behind him the attack is there as well. Moses has gotten really good on the defensive end as well. We really just need them both to click and have a good year and the rest of the team will benefit from it.

JokerEel

Coach
Defence is secondary, you want halves who are dangerous in attack. Defence was about all Robson and Mortimer could do and it really showed how far that got us when Hayne didn’t show up in 2010. Brown is easily the best defensive half in the comp though, and when he has some confidence behind him the attack is there as well. Moses has gotten really good on the defensive end as well. We really just need them both to click and have a good year and the rest of the team will benefit from it.

Robson and Mortimer also played in grand finals Mortimer even won 1.

Defence isn't secondary as mentioned Moses was terrible in defence now one of the best in the halves.