What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No my preferred option is to keep him at the club, but short of this season it will be near impossible, so if there is an advantage for our team to trade him now then I would trade him now. The Raiders would find out quick smart that he isn't ready for NRL this season anyway. So I doubt even the Raiders would be silly enough to persist with him in the NRL for this year at the very least.
They might not want him for 2024. If he’s not ready for the NRL this season and they already have a backup half, they would likely prefer him to stay here and spend the year in reserve grade. As for the benefit to us, he’s not even in the top 30. What would we gain from letting him go?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well maybe that's partially why we don't have that many quality playmakers in the NRL. Remember DCE was 22 when he finally made NRL and even though Cleary was in his teens, he was a bigger body for a half so that is a big part of why they need to wait and physically be ready in the lower grades but he also was not the main playmaker and was not for the first couple of season in the top grade while just playing to develop his defensive skills and then do the occasional kicking and playmaking while Maloney did most of the hard and heavy lifting.

Now how many teams have a real quality half that they can stick a young green rookie in next to him and not fu*k him over? Oh and a good enough quality team that also helps him not get annihilated by all the traffic coming his way?
Every dub will be telling themselves they’ll have a strong team in 2025. It’s a long way away.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He would have gotten there a lot sooner had he been playing for a decent team from the start, but alas he was playing for those derp Tigers. The club that almost guarantees you never play finals footy. They should slogan that and plod lovers like Pou will flock to there side.
Walker’s defence is shit as well. But Sanders is much bigger than Walker and Moses at the same age. His defence is fine.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I really wonder where the constant discussion of Dill to fullback comes from.
It’s the obvious solution to fitting him, Moses and Sanders into the team. Brown has the traits to carve up anywhere in the backline so why shouldn’t he be considered for fullback?

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yep. The only way he moves to fullback is temporarily through injuries. Talk of moving him to fullback to accommodate Ethan sanders in a year or two is comedy.
The only people who are suggesting it dumbarses who have never really seen Sanders play but hear the media blowing up his balloon and think that it’s an indication of club mismanagement if we lose him and think we should do whatever it takes to keep him. BTW he’s nothing like Dylan. He’s an out and out halfback and I think we’ve prioritised more versatile juniors ahead of him ie Blaize, Guymer. I suspect we might play Hands at half if Moses is out and hope that Lynne develops into a genuine backup half in the next 2 years.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
It’s the obvious solution to fitting him, Moses and Sanders into the team. Brown has the traits to carve up anywhere in the backline so why shouldn’t he be considered for fullback?

There's more to being a fullback than physical traits. Are we willing to sacrifice a few years of team success for personal development?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only people who are suggesting it dumbarses who have never really seen Sanders play but hear the media blowing up his balloon and think that it’s an indication of club mismanagement if we lose him and think we should do whatever it takes to keep him. BTW he’s nothing like Dylan. He’s an out and out halfback and I think we’ve prioritised more versatile juniors ahead of him ie Blaize, Guymer. I suspect we might play Hands at half if Moses is out.
If the club wants to keep Sanders they will need to find a spot in first grade for him from 2025. If they don’t want to keep him that’s fine, but he won't want to play reserve grade until Moses retires. He will be 24 years old, or 23 if Moses doesn’t take up his player option.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
If the club wants to keep Sanders they will need to find a spot in first grade for him from 2025. If they don’t want to keep him that’s fine, but he won't want to play reserve grade until Moses retires. He will be 24 years old, or 23 if Moses doesn’t take up his player option.
Yep, as I said I think we have prioritised others. And FTR I would love to see Dylan have a crack at fullback I think he would be a gun. But not just a an excuse to get Sanders into the team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s not, because we will have Gutho for another 3 years imo.
Well if there’s no moving Gutherson or Brown why would we want to retain Sanders? He is an elite 20 year old halfback, which is why he’s in demand. He’s not a late bloomer, so his career trajectory shouldn’t follow the likes of Hughes and Hynes.

Gronk

Staff member
Yep. The only way he moves to fullback is temporarily through injuries. Talk of moving him to fullback to accommodate Ethan sanders in a year or two is comedy.
Comedy ? Apart from finding his voice, you think he doesn’t have the game for it ?

This is not about keeping Sanders, this is about succession planning. Gutherson, Brown, Moses, Sanders, Blaize, Penisinii and trying to make them all fit into the future. Having a plan A and B and C.