What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
And we are shopping Sivo, while Matterson's future is potentially in doubt....2 players that did have contracts for 2026.
If Sivo can regain that old form, happy days. I like Matto, I think he usually does an outstanding job off the bench for us. But if he’s forced to medically retire, that’s $600K per remaining year freed up. I am sure the club will give him the time necessary to make his decision (assuming that he’s considering retirement).

forward pass

Coach
Very interesting.

Contrast this with BA, we have had some turnover with assistant coaches over the 11 years (except Murphy), but our style of play never really changed.

Definitely time for a new approach.
What are Steve Murphy's credentials? He has been at our club forever, is rarely mentioned or praised by the players and not much is known about him?11 years as an assistant and no interest in being a head coach?

Gronk

Staff member
What are Steve Murphy's credentials? He has been at our club forever, is rarely mentioned or praised by the players and not much is known about him?11 years as an assistant and no interest in being a head coach?
He just looks like a guy who runs the drills to me.

On game day, he is the messenger.

Does anyone think he has a more significant role than that ?

hindy111

Post Whore
They are definitely a bit light-on for middles. He would bring huge upside to their pack/overall team... to the point where I think the Dogs would be closer to a premiership than we are if they aren't already.... Someone might have already made that bold prediction around these parts...

Hey that was me. Now give me some attention I am very f**king needy.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That’s an interesting take. Storm have one feeder Cup team in NSW and two in Qld. Do they recruit ordinary players or do they attract elite kids and warehouse them ?

Case in point; Jontay-Junior Betham-Misa.

Are they ordinary players or just have a constant stream of above average 20 somethings to pick from ?

YES, they do have the runs on the board in converting fellas like Meaney, Smith and Blore into good first graders. However those players compliment the above average players that they have recruited from other clubs.

My 2 cents anyway.

To be fair, Nick Meaney was already a solid player before joining the Storm, though.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I would be astounded if he went anywhere.
I hope not the gate is ajar atm.

We have committed too much for Dylan to lose it now.

I actually dont think he was as bad as people think when Moses was out it was just he isn't Moses.

Moses has different skills like always probing the opposition with different plays and speed off the mark which makes teams nervous.

Its easier to gang up on one half when you have a backup or rookie next to you that don't offer a threat like Moses does.

A simple down the short-side play that we do regularly with Moses playing that led to Simmonsson try hasnt been seen since Moses got injured its not a play backups or rookies can do with confidence that Moses does.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I suppose what happens with Gutho is up in the air.

He wont give up that easily its not in his nature.

Its madness letting a competitor like that walk out the door.

I guess we will see for the rest of the year how his knee is.

He looked a lot sharper last Thursday night.
Meant Gutho is off contract in 2025, so if Blaize stays and Drown leaves it isn't the end of the world (but I do hope he stays) as we would have plenty of cash to fill a spot.

Gutho could even go into the halves with Blaize at FB.

Eelementary

Post Whore
This makes zero sense as a metric. Were Hagan and Stuart the best for winning the comp in their first season?

It speaks a bit about their ability to extract the best out of a squad, with "limited" resources, in a short period of time.

I never argued that Cleary was the best, because he took the Warriors to a Grand Final in 5 years; my argument was that he clearly has some ability as a coach, because he took a team who - by, and large, throughout their existence - have been the dictionary definition of "inconsistent" to their second ever Grand Final.

I've heard a lot of, "Bennett was won nothing in 11 years, same as Brad", and, "Cleary had crap results for the first half of his career."

I don't believe that on-field results are the only indicator of the quality of a coach, and Arthur certainly ticked some plusses - though he had plenty of recruitment fails, he did get very good football out of Blake Ferguson, Danny Wicks, RCG, etc. -, but they are certainly an indicator of whether a coach is capable of winning a Premiership, which should be the ultimate goal of any coach.

eels_fan

First Grade
we need to get an outside back signed in the next week or two. We are literally one backline injury away from having no-one in our top squad to play.

Lumelume and Cini are not options.

If we are honestly serious in trying to go on a bit of a run now Moses and Gutho are back, we can’t open ourselves up to the risk of it coming unstuck by having no backs

Incorrect

Coach
If Sivo can regain that old form, happy days. I like Matto, I think he usually does an outstanding job off the bench for us. But if he’s forced to medically retire, that’s $600K per remaining year freed up. I am sure the club will give him the time necessary to make his decision (assuming that he’s considering retirement).
Based on that footage of Matterson after he picked up what looked like a feather touch to the noggin against the Broncos, I can't see how he plays again from here on. It reminded me a lot of one of the "hits" Cordner copped at the tailend of his career before calling it a day. Completely innocuous. It would almost be at the stage where the club/NRL would make him sign an agreement that he can't claim damages at a future date of he chooses to play on from here....

Incorrect

Coach
we need to get an outside back signed in the next week or two. We are literally one backline injury away from having no-one in our top squad to play.

Lumelume and Cini are not options.

If we are honestly serious in trying to go on a bit of a run now Moses and Gutho are back, we can’t open ourselves up to the risk of it coming unstuck by having no backs
And again, it's a big reason why a new coach needs to be settled on asap, so that they can have some input on that - Unless we are looking at a player loan situation only and said player can return to their incumbent club for season 2025 like Nofoluma did when he went to the Storm a couple of years back then returned to the Tigers the next season.

Say.... now there's an idea!! Anyone know Nofo's number and if he's free??? Anyone?? @Tiger5150

It is amazing how bitchy some on here have gotten over the last few weeks since BA and Lussick where dumped. Something most forums members have been calling for a while now. I guess they hate being wrong.
Yep, Pou still can't admit his last few years of posts (re BA) or his last 12 months of posts (re Lussick) were wrong!