What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If your looking at the commercial aspect i assume Sarantinos is doing a fine job and that's probably what his role is. Otherwise he wouldn't have lasted this long.

I do think he is one of the more passive club CEO's in the game when it comes to promoting the clubs cause and not wanting to ruffle any feathers.

I feel on occasions he should be standing up for the club a bit more. And doesn't have enough connections to push a club's cause when required.

Being nice guy with the NRL generally gets you nowhere.
Exactly, but what is the purpose of a business? It’s not ‘being the best’, it’s not even winning footy games. The purpose of a business is to make money. The purpose of a business that runs an NRL club is survival. Hard to hear for a fan that only cares about winning, but there it is.

84 Baby

Referee
If your looking at the commercial aspect i assume Sarantinos is doing a fine job and that's probably what his role is. Otherwise he wouldn't have lasted this long.

I do think he is one of the more passive club CEO's in the game when it comes to promoting the clubs cause and not wanting to ruffle any feathers.

I feel on occasions he should be standing up for the club a bit more. And doesn't have enough connections to push a club's cause when required.

Being nice guy with the NRL generally gets you nowhere.
I agree with all that. We definitely need a more football/Eels centric person to work in tandem with him I think.
But my question to hiney was more about Donnelly and other than hiring Sarantinos, if he thought he did a bad job (or that someone would’ve done better).
If just seems to me (unless you have real hate for Sarantinos) blowing up at Donnelly is like Avenger blowing up at TCT.

84 Baby

Referee
Exactly, but what is the purpose of a business? It’s not ‘being the best’, it’s not even winning footy games. The purpose of a business is to make money. The purpose of a business that runs an NRL club is survival. Hard to hear for a fan that only cares about winning, but there it is.
Yes… but… certainly in NRL business, winning would bring a degree of making more money. Not definitively, but also largely the club is protected by the NRL so the risk of spending money to make money (win games) is reduced

JokerEel

Coach

No it's a combination of winning matches and making money.

They come hans in hand...

Your not winning.. You lose membership less members less corporate dollars less free to air TV time less corporate dollars.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Not good to hear the players seeking an answer to appointment of the new coach, if the admin don’t know by now, will they ever. It’s been a month and are we any closer to a new coach. Ponderous and slow really.
I think it means they are keeping the players in the dark. I love that theres no leaks but it sounds like if BA had not of told them he'd been sacked, the players would still not know. The intricacies of the process dont need to be shared but the process, if communicated, may ease player concern and I reckon thats pretty important.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Good point!
They used him as their personal speed bump.

Strange how infrequently it happens

Sometimes it backfires spectacularly - I still remember Brian Smith's blunder vs the Raiders where we attacked only Adam Mogg (ex Eel who was seen as suspect defensively). Mogg made 30 or 40 tackles in the centres, and we barely looked like ever scoring... it was hopeless!!

You'd be surprised how frequently it happens then, it's just not as obvious to you or I