What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Legal Eel

Juniors
If we had a better coach, we would have beaten Storm / Penrith in the 2020 GF or Penrith in one of the 21 or 22 grand finals ?

Ok that's not one I have heard before, as previously many on here claimed we had been overachieving.
No I think we underachieved - particularly with the squad and resources at brads disposal

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's your problem. Our starters aren't fine.
Sivo is done and why we are shopping him. He is lazy.
He is also one of the best finishers in the game. Despite being broken this year and missing half our games he is still fifth on the NRL tryscorers list. He has always been lazy. Some merkins lack strength, others lack speed. Sivo is lazy.
Simmonson is fine but bog average and doesn't make most sides backline.
Penisini is a good young talent. Average season. Blaize is our best but will be a fullback meaning we have space for 3 backs
Moses, Gutherson, Drown, Lomax, Talagi, Penisini and Sivo. Shuffle them however you like.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Penrith go from winning 85% to 65%.

That's still 16 wins a season on average.

Our record without Gutherson since 2017 is 55% worse. We go from 55% to 0%. 0 wins from 10 games he has missed since 2017.

Our record without Moses since he arrived is 23% worse we go from 56% to 33%. 8 wins from 24.

So going off those facts that's almost double the amount of games Penrith still win on average without Cleary then what we do without Moses.

65% Penrith win without Cleary to 33% Parra win without Moses
It shows how good their squad is overall compared to ours.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No 2019-22 was just as instructive.

I believe a better coach would have won a premiership in that span with this squad at its peak.

he was merely adequate - and you are the only one who will read that as a glowing endorsement.
That's because you overrate the players. Penrith have had a better squad than us every year since 2020. So have the Storm, plus the Roosters most years.

yy_cheng

Coach
I agree. He is a good back up. If Dunster wasn't for his horiffic injury he also would of been. I have no idea how good AMS or R.Pensini is. Maybe the same level. Russel and d Dunster where hyped up coming thru also
I have seeing Dick but I think AMS has the right physical attributes from that game he played in NRL.

Chipmunk

Coach
Hey, don't be moving the goal posts here. I'm saying our 2024 backs are garbage you're saying that they are fine and coachable to a far better level.

The allegation is that our punch from coming out of our own end was not about the roster, but about coaching. Good luck with that. Oh and you can't include Lomax in your 2025 stats, cos that's cheating.
No, I never said

Although if Ryles make the Top 8 with the only inclusion being Lomax, you would have to say coaching contributed to that.

Chipmunk

Coach
Which is fair enough assumption, but then on the other hand it must also be assumed coaching got us to the finals 4 years in the row (2 top 4 finishes) plus a gf.

Is that a fair assumption?
I suspect the inclusion of Mahoney, Papali'i, Nrown, Stone, Niukore, Opacic, Kaufusi and others contributed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I suspect the inclusion of Mahoney, Papali'i, Nrown, Stone, Niukore, Opacic, Kaufusi and others contributed.

As I thought.....eels makes finals not BA's coaching, eels don't make BA can't coach.....

BTW, BA debuted 4 of those players and developed them. While the others were fringe players or unwanted when recruited by the eels. And all improved under BA.

Was that BA's coaching or good luck ?

Latest posts