What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Looks like the salary cap is finally starting to bite at Melbourne, and with Bellamy's impending retirement he doesn't give a
It might be my lingering resentment of the Storm talking, but I struggle to see how they are going to be anything but dramatically declining in the next few years with Slater Cronk Smith etc finishing up and Bellamy retiring. Hard times ahead for the Storm perhaps.

hindy111

Post Whore
People saying its just a bit of coke.
The guy has a wife and KIDS he says he must look after first. So why you putting this $hit up your nose? It could be cut with anything for starters plus you know the consequences if caught. And for a guy who faced mental problems one of the worse things can do is be sniffn coke.

Most comprehensive statement EVER! ... go Bernie!!

I think its pretty fair considering its a first offense .... maybe solves a selection dilemma too
I think the club should only make him miss a game when we know there's better players available. I suppose pretty much everyone will be on deck to start the year though so it won't hurt much. But it's the principle - don't punish the club and fans because a player screwed up. Punish the player.

lingard

Coach
People saying its just a bit of coke.
The guy has a wife and KIDS he says he must look after first. So why you putting this $hit up your nose? It could be cut with anything for starters plus you know the consequences if caught. And for a guy who faced mental problems one of the worse things can do is be sniffn coke.

It's probably quite irresponsible. (And given his past mental health/alcohol problems, maybe it's extremely irresponsible). On the other hand, it was in a week of celebration after a history-making grand final win. And, you know, if I snorted a line of coke in my Christmas holidays and my employer suspended me for three months and made me go into a rehab in a foreign country - I reckon I'd be a little pissed off.

lingard

Coach
After looking at Barbas stats he did go well last season. But would you pick him over Holmes for 2018 at fullback? Sharks cant afford to pay big for Holmes and put him on wing.

I agree that Holmes will probably (almost definitely) be a better all-round fullback. But Barba is still a bloody good player and definitely in the top ten fullbacks. He's also got great utility value.

I don't really have a problem with what Barba is trying to do. The NRL screwed up by not banning him for a certain number of games and the Sharks rorted the system by sacking him and then re-signing him. And if you get banned from a pub for a few months do they extend your ban if they find out you're going to another pub in the meantime?

lingard

Coach
“The NRL hasn’t given me much, so if it comes to that I might never play the game again,” he said.

They gave you a livelihood most of us would swap in a heartbeat and cry then don't give you anything.

“It’s probably the first time we’ve talked since then [receiving his ban] … I have to look after my kids and my family, they’re my first option.

Pity they weren't your first option 3 months ago, you put them in this position, not the NRL.

“They [NRL] had quite a while to sort my stuff out but it’s taken them three months and nothing has been sorted out … I’m just going along with the flow and listen to the guys who take care of me,”

You had a lot longer to sort yourself out. Seems you're really a baby who needs to be spoonfed still. Grow up!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/sh...l/news-story/43c1bff3f7da1e00d5fcffe78ff8c63f

I watched part of the interview on Fox news tonight. When Barba said the NRL hadn't given him much, he meant they haven't given him much information (in terms of what he is or isn't allowed to do during his three month ban). Greenberg comes out today and ostensibly clarifies things a little, but it's fairly late in the piece to be doing that and, as Barba says, he has to get on with his life and career. Fair enough, I reckon. You know, the real villain in all of this is whoever (or whatever media agency) brought Barba's indiscretion to the attention of the NRL and the public. And while we're at it, what right has the NRL got to enforce a recreational drug-ban in the period between the season ending and pre-season training? Is that even legal? I'm pretty sure my employer couldn't stop me taking coke in my holidays. They better not try.

lingard

Coach
I don't really have a problem with what Barba is trying to do. The NRL screwed up by not banning him for a certain number of games and the Sharks rorted the system by sacking him and then re-signing him. And if you get banned from a pub for a few months do they extend your ban if they find out you're going to another pub in the meantime?

Not in my experience, no.

Noise

Coach
I watched part of the interview on Fox news tonight. When Barba said the NRL hadn't given him much, he meant they haven't given him much information (in terms of what he is or isn't allowed to do during his three month ban). Greenberg comes out today and ostensibly clarifies things a little, but it's fairly late in the piece to be doing that and, as Barba says, he has to get on with his life and career. Fair enough, I reckon. You know, the real villain in all of this is whoever (or whatever media agency) brought Barba's indiscretion to the attention of the NRL and the public. And while we're at it, what right has the NRL got to enforce a recreational drug-ban in the period between the season ending and pre-season training? Is that even legal? They better not try.

If your employer has it written into your contract (which you signed) and then enforces drug testing then yes they can

Noise

Coach

Aren't all players suspended for weeks not games? And no player gets to serve those weeks in the off season. With Barba not contracted to the NRL he is not serving his 12 weeks. If he comes back that's when he starts the ban.

Aren't all players suspended for weeks not games? And no player gets to serve those weeks in the off season. With Barba not contracted to the NRL he is not serving his 12 weeks. If he comes back that's when he starts the ban.
Dunno. I thought they were usually banned for a certain number of games. I agree that that's the way it should work.

strider

Post Whore
Which pub did you get banned from?

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree that Holmes will probably (almost definitely) be a better all-round fullback. But Barba is still a bloody good player and definitely in the top ten fullbacks. He's also got great utility value.

Well....If i was picking id rather all of these guys personally
Boyd,Dugan,Hayne,Wighton,RTS,Moylan, Tedesco, turbo tom, Inglis, Munster, Slater.

Id put him on par with Coote thou if it was for our club id chose Coote ahead.

At this stage he is better then

Hoppa, French, Gagai, Gordon,latrel mitchel.

And of course there is Holmes and Ponga lolohea and DWZ morris who i wont consider thou would make good fullbacks

Latest posts