What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T-Boon

Coach
French would be a very good fullback behind a strong pack. We could spend our money there instead. And Moses is a more important re-signing than Gutherson.

Interesting point. French was great right up until last year when we were physically dominated all over the park. I'd be interested to see how French would go at fullback in this team.

Don't think anyone wants him to go, but Ayoub is playing the long game, using the media and basically prepared to play chicken with his own player and the club.

Not sure where it's going, but sort of have to want the club not to bend over. It's that simple, if Gutho wants to be captain, and wants to back up what he often says about playing for the club, maybe it's a good idea if he actually went a bit on the front foot and got his manager to get the deal done. Then again, I have no idea the mindset of that generation, their attention span is mosquito like , so he may be prepared to sit back and accept whatever.

Absolutely.

IFR33K

Coach
Closest post to my thoughts.
If you are the captain of a club, and you genuinely want to stay, why hasnt he been more vocal in the media and shutting down the speculation?

We can blame Ayoub all we like, but no doubt gutho is as much at fault here as his management. If he has a deal waiting for him at manly why not just accept it? Why run to the media for?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
How about the third placed Rabbitohs, with Johnston? Or the fourth placed Raiders with CNK? Or the fifth placed Eels with Plod Gutherson?

French would be a very good fullback behind a strong pack. We could spend our money there instead. And Moses is a more important re-signing than Gutherson.
Agreed with everything until the last sentence about Moses.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well, that's why I'm asking.

We currently have Will Smith, Bevan French, and Josh Hoffman at the club, who can all play fullback.

Rather than spending money on a new fullback, perhaps we would be better off retaining one of these guys...

Salmon? Has fitness, can run, has some play making skills, good size.

Did he play there ever in juniors?

Noise

Coach
Well, that's why I'm asking.

We currently have Will Smith, Bevan French, and Josh Hoffman at the club, who can all play fullback.

Rather than spending money on a new fullback, perhaps we would be better off retaining one of these guys...

They are all reserve grade quality fullbacks.

Noise

Coach
Fair enough.

But who is available, that is a superior player?

No one. That is the point. It’s why Gutherson is asking for decent coin. If we want a quality first grade fullback that also shows some hint of leadership (and god knows we have f**k all leadership) then we might have to pay for it.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
BA is the great unknown in all of this circus. If Gutho likes him as much as he says, then a. He won't be the coach of Manly next year, b. This may not be resolved until BA is resigned or otherwise and c. Maybe Gutho should take some counsel from his coach who apparently is blue and gold to the ball bag and would obviously want Gutho to stay.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No one. That is the point. It’s why Gutherson is asking for decent coin. If we want a quality first grade fullback that also shows some hint of leadership (and god knows we have f**k all leadership) then we might have to pay for it.

I understand that.

But if he left, regardless of how poor our management may or may not have been to allow it to happen, what would our choices be?

Keep one of the guys who know our club and are dependable, but nothing special - or spend money on someone new.

eels_fan

First Grade
I’d have no problem with the club sticking to its guns if we either had a quality other option internally, or there was someone available on the market, but neither are true.

To lose Gutho over $50-$100k (literally under 1% of the salary cap) when he is the epitome of the culture we are trying to develop at the club is just bonkers imo.

Offer him $700k and a potentially top up if the cap increases or he plays rep footy

Noise

Coach
We still haven’t used anywhere near all of Norman’s money yet either. Why wouldn’t we upgrade him with most of that this year?

JokerEel

Coach
Would tell Ayoub to take the Manly offer if he wants to play games..

I would offer Moylan a contract even though he isnt off contract cant see him staying at Cronulla.

Noise

Coach
Would tell Ayoub to take the Manly offer if he wants to play games..

I would offer Moylan a contract even though he isnt off contract cant see him staying at Cronulla.

Why wouldn’t he stay at Cronulla? He’s on good money. And why would Cronulla let him go?