What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Both Panthers and Storm lost to us. Do you see them kicking stones because they lost to team that was beaten by the Tiger and Dogs?

It is a long season. Makes no sense to judge a team week to week.

You're missing the point (deliberately?).
Most of us are taking a much broader view. We're judging the coach over a nine year period. But I'm sure you know that.

lingard

Coach
Just because we lost 2 games to weaker sides does not make us a bad team.

I should be able to parallel park a car. But there are times where I'm off with the fairies and f**k it up - it doesn't make me a supposedly bad driver.

Ffs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

The Sharks have been dealt a huge blow with star half Nicho Hynes and Toby Rudolf reportedly returning positive PCR tests.

84 Baby

Referee
well I have no idea where you’re going with this. I’ve conceded management has done a good job overall. There biggest blunder would be extending Ba knowing he has plenty of downside.
Just seems like you appreciate them doing a subpar job

Eelementary

Post Whore
The point is we're not a great team. Do you think the Panthers and Storm set themselves the goal of top four this year? Or minor premiership?

No, I agree - we're not a great team.

But I think in order to aspire to be one, we should aim high - and realistically, a top 4 finish as a goal isn't inconceivable.

I'd imagine that Penrith are aiming to go back-to-back, and the Storm would consider anything less than the Grand Final qualifier unacceptable.

But I don't know that for a fact.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
I just want to see them not concede the first try. It's happened for what.. like 10 games straight now.

It's a massive attitude problem that sets the tone for the rest of the match, regardless if we win.

Defend the f**king line. You literally have no fatigue but the first 10 mins are like an automatic 6 points for the opposition recently.

does anyone else think we are just too big and bloated as a football team? especially in the 6 again era of the NRL.

I was watching the roosters the other night and looking at some of their forwards and thought to my self, there's a lot of forwards on the smaller end of the spectrum here. I know the roosters arn't the best example this season but regardless of where they're coming on the ladder they're a club whos finger is always close to the pulse. Also look at the success the cowboys are having and a lot of it is based on these smaller hard working forward they have developed recently.

Is our poor defense a result of the fact we have two really big and slow edge forwards? we lack good line speed and lateral movement and i'm thinking its a result of being oversized. Do our winger constantly have to jam up and in because of the fact we don't have edge forwards that can cover ground quickly? Marata is the closest thing we have to a pure edge atm and the right edge looked great last year when he was playing back row with the emergence of Penisini also.

I feel like we have built a team to win a comp but not a comp in 2022. Just like the new stripping rule or the six again rule, we arn't proactive in taking advantage of new rules when they come into effect. I feel like maybe we haven't anticipated what kind of players you'd need to compete in this faster era of RL.

hindy111

Post Whore
does anyone else think we are just too big and bloated as a football team? especially in the 6 again era of the NRL.

I was watching the roosters the other night and looking at some of their forwards and thought to my self, there's a lot of forwards on the smaller end of the spectrum here. I know the roosters arn't the best example this season but regardless of where they're coming on the ladder they're a club whos finger is always close to the pulse. Also look at the success the cowboys are having and a lot of it is based on these smaller hard working forward they have developed recently.

Is our poor defense a result of the fact we have two really big and slow edge forwards? we lack good line speed and lateral movement and i'm thinking its a result of being oversized. Do our winger constantly have to jam up and in because of the fact we don't have edge forwards that can cover ground quickly? Marata is the closest thing we have to a pure edge atm and the right edge looked great last year when he was playing back row with the emergence of Penisini also.

I feel like we have built a team to win a comp but not a comp in 2022. Just like the new stripping rule or the six again rule, we arn't proactive in taking advantage of new rules when they come into effect. I feel like maybe we haven't anticipated what kind of players you'd need to compete in this faster era of RL.

Hold the ball, kick amd chase well and slow the game down as much as we can and we roll thru smaller packs.
Key is no errors, slowing the game and keeping possesion as much as we can.

Pazza

First Grade
Hold the ball, kick amd chase well and slow the game down as much as we can and we roll thru smaller packs.
Key is no errors, slowing the game and keeping possesion as much as we can.

all true but the eels 2022 team have shown us they cant achieve all the points you have made on a consistent basis and the question has to be why?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Penrith have a lightweight pack as well. Our recruitment is living in the past, like TheRam. Big fat forwards are suited to a slower ruck.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
all true but the eels 2022 team have shown us they cant achieve all the points you have made on a consistent basis and the question has to be why?
Resources. Everything in the game costs resources, which implies a trade off. You improve one area and it costs you resources that you were using to sustain another area.

Pazza

First Grade
Penrith have a lightweight pack as well. Our recruitment is living in the past, like TheRam. Big fat forwards are suited to a slower ruck.

i was just looking at the QLD origin pack and theyre also very much on the smaller mobile side.

Im not saying we have to do anything too dramatic but complimenting RCG, Paulo, Matto and Lane next season with a couple of smaller more mobile hard working toilers who are going to set the tone in defense with good line speed and mobility could actually make us a better footy team.

lucablight

First Grade
They have a bigger junior competition and all three junior rep teams finished ahead of ours. Good evidence that they are spending more, which is evidence they have more to spend. They aren't the Storm or Roosters but they are quite obviously better resourced than we are. More evidence is the quality of coaching staff they can attract.

The only things we really have going for us is the fantastic government-owned stadium near our leagues club and the large fanbase. Memberships and merchandising income would be decent. Would it translate well to sponsorship? Who knows.
So how do you explain all those years Penrith were a mediocre side? Were we better resourced in 2019 when we came 5th and they finished 10th?
There's half a dozen clubs just behind Penrith and Melbourne. We are one of them.
Who are the other clubs that you would expect to be vying for a top 4 spot and potentially keeping us out?
There was an official from one of the local clubs (might've been the Rhinos actually) on the TCT podcast who said their kids had ended up at plenty of NRL clubs, including the Storm. Clubs fish where the fish are.
I don’t understand the point of junior rugby league districts affiliated with NRL clubs if there are no advantages to having a local club that plays under your NRL clubs competition. What exactly is the point of having them apart from creating arbitrary geographical boundaries?

Eelementary

Post Whore
i was just looking at the QLD origin pack and theyre also very much on the smaller mobile side.

Im not saying we have to do anything too dramatic but complimenting RCG, Paulo, Matto and Lane next season with a couple of smaller more mobile hard working toilers who are going to set the tone in defense with good line speed and mobility could actually make us a better footy team.

The two young forwards we signed, Jamayne Hopgood, and Jirah Moimoisea, are tall, but not too heavy. Exciting prospects, too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So how do you explain all those years Penrith were a mediocre side?
It's part of the natural ebb and flow of a squad over time. Look at the Storm under Bellamy. At their best they are minor premiers by three wins, with a +350 points differential. At their worst they win about 13 games and finish in the top six.
Were we better resourced in 2019 when we came 5th and they finished 10th?
Ebb and flow mate, see above
Who are the other clubs that you would expect to be vying for a top 4 spot and potentially keeping us out?
Have a look at the ladder.
I don’t understand the point of junior rugby league districts affiliated with NRL clubs if there are no advantages to having a local club that plays under your NRL clubs competition. What exactly is the point of having them apart from creating arbitrary geographical boundaries?
Yes agreed. I suspect the club is also wondering what is the point.

hindy111

Post Whore

All true. But shown glimpses. And until the last 3 weeks of lat season we did the same.