What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I get the feeling that the club was nervous about entering into any commitments earlier in the season because of our previous poor finals record and adopted a wait and see approach in case this group flopped again in the finals. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you want to look at it we made the grand final and now both Moses and Browns value has gone up because of it and we face having ourselves in this unenviable situation with both halves off contract at the same time with the vultures circling considering the dearth of halves around. If we’d flopped again in the finals there wouldn’t have been the same amount of pressure to retain both Moses and Brown but making the grand final means the heat is back on the club. It’s rather ironic.
I think it's the players who chose to wait and see. There's no benefit to them to re-sign early unless they were offered overs. Moses has a player option for 2024 ffs. If he doesn't get a better offer (including from us) he can take the option and go through this again in 12 months. That's what Drown chose to do last year.

These merkins are also currently negotiating for 2024 and beyond, all under 30 with experience or potential:

Oates
Farnworth
Wighton (player option for 2024)
Starling (player option for 2024)
Allan
Burton (player option for 2024)
Ramien
Talakai
Kennedy
Kelly
Fifita
Aloiai
Asofa-Solomona
Meaney
Fitzgibbon
Nanai
To'o
Martin
Leniu
Crichton
Mbye
Host
Mitchell
Paulo
Suaali'i
Walker
Radley
Doueihi
Brooks

Vic Mackey

Referee
FWIW I’ve been reliably informed by a sponsor of the tigers that their offer to Moses is the reported figure of $1.4m, however about $200k is TPA. He knows this because they reached out to the sponsors to source companies for the TPA. He also told me that MM management has said a 3 year extension to Brooks must be part of the deal.

I have no idea what the Eels have offered, however if the $950-$1m reported is correct then Personally I believe that’s bang on for his skill set/age.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well they did something similar with Papali'i last year. They managed to find a bit extra from somewhere.

Makes me think what are our club doing with TPAs.

And don't give me BS that clubs can't be involved. Clubs are involved maybe not directly but they certainly lay the groundwork with sponsorships or heavy backers and find ways around the salary cap with the managers.
FWIW I’ve been reliably informed by a sponsor of the tigers that their offer to Moses is the reported figure of $1.4m, however about $200k is TPA. He knows this because they reached out to the sponsors to source companies for the TPA. He also told me that MM management has said a 3 year extension to Brooks must be part of the deal.

I have no idea what the Eels have offered, however if the $950-$1m reported is correct then Personally I believe that’s bang on for his skill set/age.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I don't think our club is prepared to pay over a million dollars a season for anyone. It's just seems a club policy after being burnt by Foran and Hayne.

isnt 950k his current wage under the current cap?

if eels management think that under a higher cap a star halfback isnt going to get a significant payrise then maybe they arent the right people to be managing this team.

Noise

Coach
Well they did something similar with Papali'i last year. They managed to find a bit extra from somewhere.

And don't give me BS that clubs can't be involved. Clubs are involved maybe not directly but they certainly lay the groundwork with sponsorships or heavy backers and find ways around the salary cap with the managers.
Clubs are allowed to introduce the third party sponsor. They just can’t guarantee it in the club contract.

Pazza

First Grade
I don't think our club is prepared to pay over a million dollars a season for anyone. It's just seems a club policy after being burnt by Foran and Hayne.

the cap could be going up by a considerable amount.

1 mil on todays cap isnt the same as tomorrows.

anchoring your team building philosophy to this rigid concept of 'we dont pay anyone' could really come back to bite this team. If you lose brown and moses and the team drops to 10th on the ladder for example. youre going to be paying overs for any quality player you wanna sign from the market. most of all halves.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
My reaction would be… If we can’t get TPA, I don’t think 1.4 should be matched. But then do you risk losing one of the best halfbacks for the sake of 100,000k or whatever? It’s a tough one.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
isnt 950k his current wage under the current cap?

if eels management think that under a higher cap a star halfback isnt going to get a significant payrise then maybe they arent the right people to be managing this team.
He is at his physical peak, and in future will have increased injury risk. If the cap wasn't going up he would be worth less than his current contract. With the cap increase you can justify paying him the same despite the increased risk. You can't justify paying more.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Last time we tried that we got caught. Our club leaks like a sieve so we can't do dodgies like the more tight-knit clubs.

I'm not sure his kicking game justifies a huge salary. You can probably get someone who's 85% as good for 70% of the price, and with potential for improvement. I can see the club going maybe at a stretch to 1.2 but that's it and probably more than he's worth

Latest posts