What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Nutz

Bench
TWT instagram, reporting we have put a two year offer on the table for Junior Tupou?
I hope he accepts. I'm unaware of anyone else that's chasing him.
I don't think this is an indication that we've given up chasing other backs.
Junior has heaps off potential.
I wonder how he would go as a centre. Playing in that position requires you to try and run around the opposition backs at times, therefore he would hit top gear more often. The only problem would be his ability to work with his winger and not the other way round.

Nutz

Bench
If we signed someone today, it would be 10 days before the cooling off period expires. Hopefully we have some good news by the end of the month
I was thinking the same thing Fordy.
There was a tweak to the cooling off period that was going to be introduced this Nov1.
I believe they scrubbed the original process after several clubs protested about DCE's back flip in the Gold Coast/Manly contract saga.
Now it's the clubs that are given a 10 day re-nogotiating period before the contract is ratified by the NRL.
So in Manu's case with St George, if he has excepted their $5m contract noone can touch him except the Roosters who can make another offer. Also the player, once he signs, that's it.
So if the Roosters don't want him to leave they have to pay the same or more which I doubt because Angus Crichton is now not going to Rugby....so stiff bickies.
I see these changes to actually help struggling clubs like WT because it stops players throwing egg in our faces by going to 3rd club who came in late or just renig because of cold feet. If we lose out everyone will know it's the players current club who successfully renegotiated.
I'm not sure if this new process is happening or if the way I explained it is how it really is so correct me if I'm wrong.
It will work if clubs, players and managers don't abuse it.
I wonder how this works with other things like transfer fees and compassionate grounds?
With any contract, if there are late changes then the effected party can opt out, like if the coach is sacked.
I was thinking that we might have a signing around 4pm on Friday...well that's what my chilblains are telling me.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
TWT instagram, reporting we have put a two year offer on the table for Junior Tupou?
We can but dream. Unfortunately most of our dreams turn into nightmares.

Benji needs to perform a miracle and get us off the bottom of the ladder before we are any chance of signing someone of his quality.

(By the way Nutz I had originally typed we can butt dream. Oh man, you and I are so funny without even trying)

Tigerm

Coach

Nutz

Bench
Running my eyes over other teams rosters we are destined for 3 spoons unless as you said there is a miracle or we snag some backs.
When we had to get our salary cap in order we bit the bullet and waited.
We eventually succeeded and even carried some monies over to the next year.
So waiting more than 5 years and two spoons later we are still in the shite.
We've suffered enough '.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Panthers star Jarome Luai has taken a subtle jab at coach Ivan Cleary after he claimed rival clubs would be taking a “risk” signing him as a chief playmaker.

Strange way to keep your blokes on side, Ivan?

was a really weird statement from Ivan, basically saying ‘you ain’t shit without my son’

strange stuff

Tigerm

Coach
was a really weird statement from Ivan, basically saying ‘you ain’t shit without my son’

strange stuff
Don’t know what’s going on with thumbs up thing, most times it’s not there?

But, yeah, even if he stays now there will be friction now and he will have no choice but to move on, I think.

Maybe Ivan thinks his son will be able to do it all by himself?

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
But, yeah, even if he stays now there will be friction now and he will have no choice but to move on, I think.
I thought it was a bit left field stuff too TM but you don't win three grand finals in a row with just a stacked squad so Ivan should know what he's doing. It's more about team harmony and keeping the nucleus together.
He let go off Burton and Kickacow and that didn't effect the Panthers too much.
They made an offer to Luai and I believe they'll hold firm.
It wouldn't surprise me though if Ivan has an Ace up his sleeve.

I think Ivan is right about Luai, the young bloke is a bit drunk on success.

Penrith have might, power and strike all over the park.

I’d love to have him of course and I’d pay a bit overs.

Good sides with a broad range of competent players and support will always fare better than bad sides with the odd super hero.

This years comp waa a good example of that mantra.

Mam could beat a few tackles, but his side of Jumping Jolly Rogers couldn’t stop a proper team.

And if Nathan hadn’t scored, they still had multiple attacking options.

There’s the value of attack for you @madunit my friend lol.

It’s not a perfect assessment, but Luia should consider his position in that light.

I’m pretty sure Ivan subscribes to it and he’s going Ok.

Last edited:
Yeah get rid of them @Tigerm so you can voice your frustration or compliments at posts.

You get used to the ads and they help keep the forum free and accessible which is really good.

So it’s ethical as well.

Nutz

Bench
I’d love to have him of course and I’d pay a bit overs.
Hey TSP, how are you.
I'm like you believing he's full of it somewhat and I wouldn't be paying much more than the Panthers offered him.
I need you TSP to "channel"... (and I don't mean where those Bull Sharks are swimming like you were saying earlier)..all your mental telepathy to convince some gun centre to sign with us.

BrotherJim05

Bench
f**k it, sign up Luai, give him a million a season. We were carrying Brooks on pretty much the same coin and look where that got us. Say what you want about Luai but he's an attacking weapon, and he knows how to fire up the boys. Two things we haven't had for a while.

I really don't think that someone like Luai breaks the bank. We don't really have any big contracts clogging up our salary cap, and by 2025 I imagine that Sezer and Douihi would no longer be at the club (maybe Sezer for another year on minimal coin). Luai/Sullivan would be incredible for us. Then with Fanai nipping at their heels, we would finally have a top 8 quality spine (with Bula and Api in there).

It seems ridiculous to say this, but if he doesn't re-sign with Panthers then I think we are the best club for him:
1. Link back up with Api
2. Work under Benji (his childhood idol)
3. Doesn't have to relocate out of Western Sydney
4. Chance to not only prove the "only good with Cleary" haters wrong, but give the finger to Ivan that he succeeded where Ivan failed...he took Wests Tigers into top 8.
5. Oh yeah, and the 7 figure salary...forgot about that.

Latest posts