What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

MugaB

Coach
Unsurprisingly the Luai discussion has become skewed. I dont think whether Penrith will handle him leaving is up for debate. Theyve shown they are managing their cap/team better then anyone. As I said i believe $800-$850k is spot on for him from them.

I do find it rather hilarious that any time we are linked with a player its apparently 'not who you need.' If a 3 time premiership, state of origin, world cup finalist, 26 year old 5/8 isnt who the two time wooden spooners then I give up. I then see someone literally state that an 18 year old who has played like 7 games of nsw cup could do just as good a job as him, which defies belief.

Of course we are going to have to pay overs to get him, thats generally how it works to get a player from another club, and even moreso to a team as low as ours. How much more is up to the player. Moses reportedly turned down $200-$300kpa extra to stay at Parra. Im sure you remember a decade ago Thurston turning down huge money from Penrith to stay in NQ.

However Jarome is his own man, we all know he has an ego. He could stay at Penrith, likley have a hugely successful career, yet always be considered the other guy. He seems like the type of guy who would back himself to turn a shit team into a good one and create his own legacy. Particularly after Ivans strange 'you aint shit without Nathan' comments, which clearly irked him enough to comment on instagram about. If he comes here he will be well compensated, as he should be, however I doubt that would be the only reason.

Any signing, particularly a big money one, is a risk, personally I think its a bigger risk to do nothing and hope that you get something from two 18 year olds. If Luai isnt a guy we should be signing, Im not really sure what people expect us to do?
Amen!!!
Tigers got Api, but how long before he also retires, can't expect him to stay in the middle defending in a last placed team forever... getting another brain amongst all that braun you guys have is priority no.1... and if Luai isn't that brain then who is?

Tigerm

First Grade
Fishing is an art.... cast the line, watch as the bidders fight each other over the player we cannot afford... for those who think Ivan pushed him aside, remember he still has 2024 to play 5/8th, at the riff..
The challenge was publicly placed out there, with romey knowing full well his price would sky rocket if a ladder dwellers all start bidding on a 3 time premiership half... i mean if chad and reyno can cash in after only winning one ring, and throw in moses for pawwa, with zero rings, imagine Romey with 3 titles, could even bag 4, if he doesn't phone it in this next season... 1.4 million is a steal, if im tigers, im rising the amount to 1.5 mill for a immediate release, for those 4 years, the younger the better, dont want to pay 1.4m for luai at age 32
Got no idea what you talking about but our offer is in, it’s up to him to accept it?
I said earlier, that some clubs are paying that for forwards.
He’ll be 28 in 2025 won’t he?
Long way from finished.
If you think what Ivan did was proactive then ok, that’s your opinion. But I wonder what the team thinks?

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Got no idea what you talking about but our offer is in, it’s up to him to accept it?
I said earlier, that some clubs are paynesr that for forwards.
Long way from finished.
If you think what Ivan did was proactive then ok, that’s your opinion. But I wonder what the team thinks?
Edit: didn’t see your next post?
Got a few penny supporters rushing in to tell us we have f**ked up, giving him an offer?

Tigerm

First Grade
Amen!!!
Tigers got Api, but how long before he also retires, can't expect him to stay in the middle defending in a last placed team forever... getting another brain amongst all that braun you guys have is priority no.1... and if Luai isn't that brain then who is?
Getting another Api wouldn’t be easy, but I think the club has a few ideas.

MugaB

Coach
Edit: didn’t see your next post?
Got a few penny supporters rushing in to tell us we have f**ked up, giving him an offer?
No way i reckon its the best shot at getting back into finals for a change, one thing i know about romey, is he doesn't take excuses for poor execution, you can't fail around him, he'll let you know it, and call you out, i kinda think the tigers squad needs a lot of that, loud strong voice, making sure you do your assignments

MugaB

Coach
I said earlier, that some clubs are paynesr that for forwards.
Long way from finished.
In 5 years his contract will be up, are you wanting to pay a 31 yr old half at 1.4mil on his last remaining year, most likely you guys make finals in 2025 and re up his contract maybe another 4 years, why? jus coz and your happy not to get a spoon for a change almost like the knights some 6 years back.... you wanna keep him as long as he is able, by contracts end, he'll be 33, as long as he is healthy and without injury, your team is hopefully better off

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
No way i reckon its the best shot at getting back into finals for a change, one thing i know about romey, is he doesn't take excuses for poor execution, you can't fail around him, he'll let you know it, and call you out, i kinda think the tigers squad needs a lot of that, loud strong voice, making sure you do your assignments
I’m hoping he does this for us, if he comes, I think many of our players for many years, have just gone thru the motions and just happy to be playing FG

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
I wrote the below in the Panthers forum:

Jarome has the best resume of any half currently active who's name doesn't finish with 'Eary.

Large offers beyond our perceived value were inevitable.

Take the odds to it, even if Luai is a 75% chance of failing that is still better than the odds of finding and developing a quality first grade half during his contract term. IMO he's 50/50 to succeed outside the Penrith system.

Brisbane with all their resources and geographical advantage needed to go get a busted Adam Reynolds. If the richest and most powerful club in the game needs to roll the dice on a playmaker it makes sense a struggling club will leap at the chance to get a successful player.

For you guys it's a bigger risk to not sign the best available half than to sign him. Three years from today will your best gun junior half be at premiership winning level? Almost certainly not if they are the primary play maker. Thus Luai makes sense.

Tigerm

First Grade
I wrote the below in the Panthers forum:

Jarome has the best resume of any half currently active who's name doesn't finish with 'Eary.

Large offers beyond our perceived value were inevitable.

Take the odds to it, even if Luai is a 75% chance of failing that is still better than the odds of finding and developing a quality first grade half during his contract term. IMO he's 50/50 to succeed outside the Penrith system.

Brisbane with all their resources and geographical advantage needed to go get a busted Adam Reynolds. If the richest and most powerful club in the game needs to roll the dice on a playmaker it makes sense a struggling club will leap at the chance to get a successful player.

For you guys it's a bigger risk to not sign the best available half than to sign him. Three years from today will your best gun junior half be at premiership winning level? Almost certainly not if they are the primary play maker. Thus Luai makes sense.
Good post, cheers
Though I still hope we flog you in next years GF hahaha

Tigerm

First Grade
Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox league:
Tigers set to lodge $4.5m mega offer for Panthers playmaker as contract terms revealed

That was quick, we just upped the offer $500k apparently?
Will we get to $5m before Xmas?

Nutz

Bench
Freeing up Klemmer to save 750k for Luai. I thought something like this was going to happen after signing another prop, Gordon Whippy the other day.
Develop him next year to replace Klem 2025.
Then Stefano will throw a spanner in the worx.
Just throwing it out there.

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox league:
Tigers set to lodge $4.5m mega offer for Panthers playmaker as contract terms revealed

That was quick, we just upped the offer $500k apparently?
Will we get to $5m before Xmas?

Hard to know, who to believe or what is going on? I just hope we have given him an offer, after that , it’s his decision?