What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Ivan has painted himself into a corner and can’t really back down now.

They could pass a bucket around, but they won’t get to our offer without some hard decisions.

Plus they have an operationally successful system, works well, they won’t disrupt it easily.

They know they are going to lose good players. They look at all scenarios.

Nutz

Bench
This cooling off period should be there to protect the club ala DCE's backflip.
Once all paperwork is lodged to register his intent , Luai also has 10 days to pull out of Tigers offer. If he does do it would allow him to re-enter negotiations... This is wrong.
If he agrees to the WT then the only out would be if Panthers up the ante. OTHERWISE clubs like us are dragged along and could be made to look absolutely stupid if it turns pear shaped.
It's like being left at the alter and in the past there have been successful lawsuits made by the effected party.
As far as the Panthers are concerned, they have far too much time and opportunity to make an offer and set it.
If the Wests Tigers get done in the end they could lose millions in revenue. Absolutely they could.

Nutz

Bench
How do we look at this?
It’s stated he signed, so does that now mean Penrith can implement the cooling off period, but no one else can now come in and out bid us, is this correct ?
Yes mate, however I believe Luai can also pull out which makes him a free agent again.... I'm sure this is right which is a farce.
All that really has happened is,
1. Luai has agreed to terms
2. Noone except Penrith can can renegotiate during the 10 day COP
3. Luai can pull out during the COP which means the dogs then can enter fresh negotiations (this part I'm not totally 100% on)

Tigerm

First Grade
Ivan has painted himself into a corner and can’t really back down now.

They could pass a bucket around, but they won’t get to our offer without some hard decisions.

Plus they have an operationally successful system, works well, they won’t disrupt it easily.

They know they are going to lose good players. They look at all scenarios.
Plus he shit on him a month or so ago, basically telling him, he was nothing without Nathan?
Great way to try and keep someone, I think he might also have a point to prove, when he plays them, whoever it is with?

Tigerm

First Grade
Y
Yes mate, however I believe Luai can also pull out which makes him a free agent again.... I'm sure this is right which is a farce.
All that really has happened is,
1. Luai has agreed to terms
2. Noone except Penrith can can renegotiate during the 10 day COP
3. Luai can pull out during the COP which means the dogs then can enter fresh negotiations (this part I'm not totally 100% on)
Yeah, it’s point 3, which I am confused with, it is basically giving everyone a chance to smash our tender?
It’s supposed to be secret, but there is already a rough price shooting around the joint of our offer? as well, his manager could begin negotiations with other parties for 10 extra days, but we won’t know?
Seems to suck a bit?
Though, I am all for protecting the original club from the past unethical practices of managers and clubs.

Nutz

Bench
Foxsports...."If the Blues rep does sign with Wests, it’s expected that new recruit Jayden Sullivan will shift to halfback in 2025 to accomodate Luai’s arrival."

Y

Yeah, it’s point 3, which I am confused with, it is basically giving everyone a chance to smash our tender?
It’s supposed to be secret, but there is already a rough price shooting around the joint of our offer? as well, his manager could begin negotiations with other parties for 10 extra days, but we won’t know?
Seems to suck a bit?
Though, I am all for protecting the original club from the past unethical practices of managers and clubs.
It seems like this could be in place for younger players but for situations like Luai’s I don’t think we need a cooling off period.

Nutz

Bench
It seems like this could be in place for younger players but for situations like Luai’s I don’t think we need a cooling off period.
On a different forum some time ago I wrote the only way your going to combat unethical negotiations is to have a set period in which interested clubs can register. When a designated time is reached then new clubs can't enter.
During a set period clubs can make official offers and the player then decides. Re negotiation is then given another period at the end of which the player decides. No cooling off period unless contract promises are not met.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
This cooling off period should be there to protect the club ala DCE's backflip.
Once all paperwork is lodged to register his intent , Luai also has 10 days to pull out of Tigers offer. If he does do it would allow him to re-enter negotiations... This is wrong.
If he agrees to the WT then the only out would be if Panthers up the ante. OTHERWISE clubs like us are dragged along and could be made to look absolutely stupid if it turns pear shaped.
It's like being left at the alter and in the past there have been successful lawsuits made by the effected party.
As far as the Panthers are concerned, they have far too much time and opportunity to make an offer and set it.
If the Wests Tigers get done in the end they could lose millions in revenue. Absolutely they could.

I tend to agree. W/T or Penrith should be the only teams he can sign with during this cooling off period.

Peter Lang said on twitter it will be a rugby league christmas miracle if he chooses to stay at Penrith. Realistically, this is'nt going to happen, as Penrith have had their one miracle this year (the grandfinal)

I wouldn't trust the dishlickers not to gazump......it's their way.

Good luck, and treat him well.

Tigerm

First Grade
Foxsports...."If the Blues rep does sign with Wests, it’s expected that new recruit Jayden Sullivan will shift to halfback in 2025 to accomodate Luai’s arrival."
I thought it might the other way, tbh. There was talk that's where he wanted to play 7? I think one extra off the ruck would be advantages, but I bow to the coach, he knows a bit about this shit?

Tigerm

First Grade
That would be purely up to Penrith then wouldn't it? I mean obviously they would need to waive the cooling off period?
Trying to fix it, they have confused it all imo?

Tiger Ted

Bench
This is laughable as Sullivan hasn’t done a thing yet to justify consistent selection in the starting team in ‘24 let alone a yr later.With saints his form was glaringly inconsistent & as from what I saw he didn’t look like a player capable of securing a spot in the halves in the NRL.

Nutz

Bench
I tend to agree. W/T or Penrith should be the only teams he can sign with during this cooling off period.
Well it is mate unless as I said if Luai pulls out then he becomes a free agent again. Which is totally wrong because his agent/player can easily take both clubs for a ride. It defeats the purpose of the cooling off period.
Atm only WT, Luai or Pathers have a say.
I've read this somewhere about a month ago and for the life of me I'm struggling to find it again. I was hoping some learned forumer could verify it.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
This is laughable as Sullivan hasn’t done a thing yet to justify consistent selection in the starting team in ‘24 let alone a yr later.With saints his form was glaringly inconsistent & as from what I saw he didn’t look like a player capable of securing a spot in the halves in the NRL.
Yeh I get that Ted but what do you suggest?
I don't think AD is in the club's plans, he's the only other option isn't he.
2024 is his last year and he'll miss half of it and I don't think we'll even contemplate his asking price of 800k for 2025.
Anyway, in 2024, Bud will definitely play outside the Salad so I think the club will try to develop him as a ⅝ so he can play outside Luai in 2025. If he's struggling at ⅝ next year he might play first receiver a bit.
Then comes injuries??
Regardless of what happens, Latu Fainu is even further off imo.

Nutz

Bench
Regardless of what position Luai feels he's best suited to playing I think we have to accommodate this.
We have 2024 to sort out a plan of action.

Tigerm

First Grade
Well it is mate unless as I said if Luai pulls out then he becomes a free agent again. Which is totally wrong because his agent can easily take bith clubs for a ride. It defeats the purpose of the cooling off period.
Atm only WT, Luai or Pathers have a say.
I've read this somewhere about a month ago and for the life of me I'm struggling to find it again. I was hoping some learned forumer could verify it.
As I understand it, that's correct, atm, our offer has been tabled and Luai has agreed to it, and it now sits with the NRL (supposedly confidential) to ensure it meets salary cap conditions, Penrith now have 10 days (24th I think) to convince him to change his mind.
BUT
Other parties could make offers outside of this, in that 10 day period, which could encourage Luai to terminate our agreement and offer?
If he does, he then goes back on the open market and the (other) party, makes him a new offer?
Then the whole process starts again.
It could happen again and again?