What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

soc123_au

Staff member
If you look closely, it’s a only a lease until we sign…..

……your best player.
Ha ha, I love Luai and he is a big loss for us, but best player? Not even close.

On field his defence will be extremely difficult to replace, in attach we really need to evolve so as good as he is it's arguably a positive that he moves on.

The off field stuff is my biggest concern. The media love to paint him as a flog, but he is far from that, he is the type of guy that other players want to play with. Also he would play a huge role is keeping a positive vibe around the place.

No way we are going to be able to get close to making him backflip, we just don't have that kind of coin available. I'd be happy to waive the cooling off period so he doesn't flip to the Dogs, I'll be a Luai fan wherever he ends up, but you guys would make it easier to stomach. You can get f**ked for next year though, he needs to go out with one more ring.

Edit. Good on Richo though for his comments. I thought it was a nice touch when I read the story the other day.

Tigerm

First Grade
Ha ha, I love Luai and he is a big loss for us, but best player? Not even close.

On field his defence will be extremely difficult to replace, in attach we really need to evolve so as good as he is it's arguably a positive that he moves on.

The off field stuff is my biggest concern. The media love to paint him as a flog, but he is far from that, he is the type of guy that other players want to play with. Also he would play a huge role is keeping a positive vibe around the place.

No way we are going to be able to get close to making him backflip, we just don't have that kind of coin available. I'd be happy to waive the cooling off period so he doesn't flip to the Dogs, I'll be a Luai fan wherever he ends up, but you guys would make it easier to stomach. You can get f**ked for next year though, he needs to go out with one more ring.

Edit. Good on Richo though for his comments. I thought it was a nice touch when I read the story the other day.
Well, hopefully he won’t have finished getting them, then?

Tigerm

First Grade
Phil Gould Twitter account:

If he signs with a club, other than his current club, the 10 day period begins. If during that time, the player decides not to go to that club, but wants to sign with a different club, he can do that, but a new 10 day period commences for his incumbent club. It’s designed so the incumbent club gets every chance to match an offer or to retain their player.

Pretty sure that’s how we are all seeing it, though every new offer gives the pennies more opportunity to up there offer?
I did see a question to him asking, if they were looking at Luai now, but he didn’t answer the question hahaha
Another comment:
Asked why they are doing it?
I suspect clubs pushed for this process because of the suspicion that some clubs were offering 3rd party sponsorships as an incentive for recruitment, which is illegal under salary cap rules. The incumbent clubs wanted full disclosure on what the registered contract amounts would be and if they have been accurately informed. I was not part of the discussions that led to this policy. Perhaps Andrew Abdo could provide a better explanation.

I think this is what we got copped for with Farah?

Tigerm

First Grade
Another comment:
I suspect clubs pushed for this process because of the suspicion that some clubs were offering 3rd party sponsorships as an incentive for recruitment, which is illegal under salary cap rules. The incumbent clubs wanted full disclosure on what the registered contract amounts would be and if they have been accurately informed. I was not part of the discussions that led to this policy. Perhaps Andrew Abdo could provide a better explanation.

Love him or loathe him, he knows his shit?
He was asked about transfer fees?

Trades and financial compensation will become more common place. So they should. We now have 17 teams, supposedly heading towards 20 teams. Right now there is a player shortage, brought on by the COVID period where junior sport and development programs were halted. The player market is currently the tightest and most difficult I have ever experienced. The new CBA and second tier salary caps are flawed and counter-productive to future player development. Hopefully this corrects itself over time. The game needs to invest in player development and it has to be done through the NRL clubs. I’m very strong on this point. Right at the moment clubs are resigning their proven NRL players for longer terms, because of the shortage of players, particularly in certain positions. Most of the game’s best playmakers are all well into their 30s. They won’t be around forever. If you lose a player, or a player wants to leave, they are very hard to replace. The clubs in best position at the moment are those who have been investing in their pathways for an extended period. They have a steady flow of new talent coming into the NRL level. I think now most clubs are realising they have to bolster their junior development programs to assist long term competitiveness.

A critical task for the Panthers has been to try to keep the elite band together as long as possible, many for less than market value.

There has been some successes and of course some failures.

So far, the Panthers have made all the right calls. It’s been very impressive.

Tigerm

First Grade
Love him or loathe him, he knows his shit?
He was asked about transfer fees?

Trades and financial compensation will become more common place. So they should. We now have 17 teams, supposedly heading towards 20 teams. Right now there is a player shortage, brought on by the COVID period where junior sport and development programs were halted. The player market is currently the tightest and most difficult I have ever experienced. The new CBA and second tier salary caps are flawed and counter-productive to future player development. Hopefully this corrects itself over time. The game needs to invest in player development and it has to be done through the NRL clubs. I’m very strong on this point. Right at the moment clubs are resigning their proven NRL players for longer terms, because of the shortage of players, particularly in certain positions. Most of the game’s best playmakers are all well into their 30s. They won’t be around forever. If you lose a player, or a player wants to leave, they are very hard to replace. The clubs in best position at the moment are those who have been investing in their pathways for an extended period. They have a steady flow of new talent coming into the NRL level. I think now most clubs are realising they have to bolster their junior development programs to assist long term competitiveness.
From my experience - The player/player manager and the new club agree on terms. The club makes a written offer to the player manager to confirm the details. Player manager replies with a letter of acceptance and requests contracts to be prepared. Player manager informs incumbent club of the player’s intention to sign elsewhere. He asks if the incumbent club would like to waive the 10 day consideration. I suspect they generally do. Or the club can consider its position and take the full 10 days to make a counter offer. It’s probably in the best interests of the club doing the signing to inform the NRL that the process has begun, so the clock gets ticking on the 10 day period. Contracts would be signed and sent to the NRL for registration, but won’t be registered until a waiver of rights, or the 10 day period has been confirmed. Most of this usually happens without the signing ever being released to the media. If there’s a dispute, the NRL would request the negotiation notes and email communications. I can’t recall ever experiencing any disputes. But the system is there to resolve them if they arise. Interestingly, at this time of year the NRL soon closes down until the middle of January. So registering a contract can’t be completed until then. I would assume the 10 day period couldn’t commence until then either. Generally the clubs, player managers and NRL work together to get things done. We all get on pretty well.

That’d be our f**ken luck?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Another comment:

Nope. The details of any offer don't have to be revealed.

NRL documentation: Last Right of Negotiation clause

Every player must provide his incumbent Club with a last right of negotiation for a 10-day period from the date of notice that the player has received an offer from a rival Club, and that offer has been submitted to the NRL, that he is prepared to accept. In order to give effect to this clause:
  • a) the player must provide notice to his incumbent Club that he has an offer that he will accept in 10 days' time (subject to negotiations with his incumbent Club);
  • b) the Club can then engage in contract negotiations with the player for a period of up to 10 days, or the Club may waive its rights in writing (at which point the player is free to sign with the rival Club);
  • c) the offer from the rival NRL Club must be an official offer and submitted to the NRL Salary Cap Auditor (the contents of which will remain confidential, but the NRL Salary Cap Auditor can provide verification to the incumbent Club that an official offer has been received). The offer must remain open for acceptance for a minimum of 14 days, and for at least 48 hours beyond the expiry of the 10-day negotiation period with the incumbent Club. There is no requirement for the player to disclose the terms of the offer to his incumbent Club;
  • d) at the expiry of the 10 days, the player may sign (or reject) the offer from the rival Club.

Tigerm

First Grade
Nope. The details of any offer don't have to be revealed.

NRL documentation: Last Right of Negotiation clause

Every player must provide his incumbent Club with a last right of negotiation for a 10-day period from the date of notice that the player has received an offer from a rival Club, and that offer has been submitted to the NRL, that he is prepared to accept. In order to give effect to this clause:
  • a) the player must provide notice to his incumbent Club that he has an offer that he will accept in 10 days' time (subject to negotiations with his incumbent Club);
  • b) the Club can then engage in contract negotiations with the player for a period of up to 10 days, or the Club may waive its rights in writing (at which point the player is free to sign with the rival Club);
  • c) the offer from the rival NRL Club must be an official offer and submitted to the NRL Salary Cap Auditor (the contents of which will remain confidential, but the NRL Salary Cap Auditor can provide verification to the incumbent Club that an official offer has been received). The offer must remain open for acceptance for a minimum of 14 days, and for at least 48 hours beyond the expiry of the 10-day negotiation period with the incumbent Club. There is no requirement for the player to disclose the terms of the offer to his incumbent Club;
  • d) at the expiry of the 10 days, the player may sign (or reject) the offer from the rival Club.
Agree, Phil’s comments in this was related to a previous discussion, which is what caught our club out with Farah way back then?

But that is a great clarification of the current situation, thanks.

JL has rocked up to training and told everyone he’s going to sign with the Wests Tigers.

He’s not going to do that if he wasn’t serious about it.

It would be very sad if he’d said hes signing with the dogs or copping a S sandwich from Ivan and co.

He’s won comps and all that, why would he cop a $2m loss?

He’s time in the game is limited.

He’s probably looking for the new horizons and making new friends and stuff.

Reunite with quality people like API, Charlie and Nado. These are some best characters in the game.

Get away from Clearyism.

He would be so much in the zone with us.

He’d have the time of his life.

And he’d be appreciated and loved by us fans, not just make up marquee numbers.

Tigerm

First Grade
JL has rocked up to training and told everyone he’s going to sign with the Wests Tigers.

He’s not going to do that if he wasn’t serious about it.

It would be very sad if he’d said hes signing with the dogs or copping a S sandwich from Ivan and co.

He’s won comps and all that, why would he cop a $2m loss?

He’s time in the game is limited.

He’s probably looking for the new horizons and making new friends and stuff.

Reunite with quality people like API, Charlie and Nado.

Get away from Clearyism.

He would be so much in the zone with us.

He’d have the time of his life.

And he’d be appreciated and loved by us fans, not just make up marquee numbers.
Finally, comes home, to a family club hahaha

Finally, comes home, to a family club hahaha

He’s weighed up everything closely and decided that we best reflect everything he wants to connect himself with and achieve in the game.

He wants to help a struggling club. It’s a challenge for him as it is for Richo ( who will stay, you can bet on that)

Not sit there and play the stupid rap music and be an idiot waiting for Nate to growl at juniors.

This is a higher level of footy ambition.

Something he needs to do for himself.

And Ivan was very rude to him. He was supposed to a father figure but he ratted on JL to look good at the club.

So unnecessary and ignorant.

So haughty and disrespectful.

Tigerm

First Grade
He’s weighed up everything closely and decided that we best reflect everything he wants to connect himself with and achieve in the game.

He wants to help a struggling club. It’s a challenge for him as it is for Richo ( who will stay, you can bet on that)

Not sit there and play the stupid rap music and be an idiot waiting for Nate to growl at juniors.

This is a higher level of footy ambition.

Something he needs to do for himself.
Plus, he wants to win more rings.

He knows, peak pennies have peaked.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I don’t think Api will be around. Trying to have a little realism; I can’t see Tigers doing much other than battling for a place in the lower 8 come 25 and 26.
It certainly depends on a few things, ‘25 will depend on how Luai gells with the team (if he comes) but I see a good go at the 8 in 26, API’s last current contract year, he’ll be 34 (I think) probably his last year, but everyone should have gelled by then, we have a good young bloke, who will just be primed to take over, but certainly we shouldn’t have any excuses anyway, but we’ll see?
We hold the last two wooden spoons, we won’t be gloating for a while.

Last edited:
There will be a few early bumps as we pat things down,but JL’s announcement definitely has that “ destination tigers” character and aspect about it.

He’s one of the best players in the world at his peak and as Socky said, hes not as naughty off the park as he’s made out to be.

Plus we have a few young tear-aways.

Hopefully Benji can use his street smarts to stay in touch with them and I’m more interested as to what he brings himself than any of his failed fallen idols.

The forwards were reaching out last season, but it was obviously depressing to play without quality halves and of course our troubled backline.

Apis on good dollar, when he goes, there should be cash available.