What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

MugaB

Coach
Of course I wouldn't knock Josh Adabus back as a cheapie but that won't happen one would think, he is an ex-international/SOO player.
I just didn't like the way Josh Adabus gave us the flick so soon after we discovered him to join Melbourne. He then gave us the flick to join the dogs. I'd like us to be in a position never to be used as a door mat again.
Despite Noffa's poor form with his training antics, he will probably be on one wing with Charlie Staines on the other next year but if Noffa gets the flick then Josh Adabus would be ok (at the right price as you said) for a 2 year deal with Alex Lobbs and Solomon Alaimalo as reserves. These two have a big future imo.
Olam should be our main focus for me.

My big concern at this stage is if we sign Jarome Luai in 2025 we will have a real gun in Latu Fainu sitting on the bench or in regies. In his debut games for Somoa he played more of a dummy half role as he's too small for a centre.
Otherwise he could play a second ⅝ role which a lot of clubs do these days. This would mean To'a gets pushed to the wing with Naden partnering Olam in the centres.
I feel uneasy about all of this.
We have to see what the club intends to do with Adam Doueihi, Josh Feledy, and Israel Ogden as this may effect what in turn happens with Naden playing centre.
Winger Jordan Hill is a huge loss for us as he's signed with the slimies.
Naden is a winger, a damn good one, he'd be a better combo with staines, then nofo and staines, pure speed on both edges and tough carries from to'a and olam at centre, bula out the back very strike backline, i'd be throwing out douhehehehe and nofo they are chewing up cap space and giving lip in return, you'll have more than enough lip from luai in a positive sence in '25 onwards than you would from those merkins

Nutz

Bench
Yep, my sentiments as well mate. Though Naden has played more at centre than wing I feel.
I'm keen to see the outcome of my mate's assessment of Solomon Alaimalo as my buddy knows him from NZ Rugby.
He is a tall fast elusive winger and is only signed up for 2024. If he makes an impact he'll be one winger in 2025 for sure....providing he's not snatched by the rorters.
The points I've been harping on about since I joined this forum is we keep far too many KOE Cup std players and not enough marquee players. For example we haven't had a great centre pairing ever. The closest would be Shane Elford and Paul Whatuira but even they were just solid and not marquee players.
I might sound two faced wanting Alaimalo and Alex Lobb to go well but all the other alternatives are proven KOE cup std players and these two haven't had their chance yet.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Yep, my sentiments as well mate. Though Naden has played more at centre than wing I feel.
I'm keen to see the outcome of my mate's assessment of Solomon Alaimalo as my buddy knows him from NZ Rugby.
He is a tall fast elusive winger and is only signed up for 2024. If he makes an impact he'll be one winger in 2025 for sure....providing he's not snatched by the rorters.
The points I've been harping on about since I joined this forum is we keep far too many KOE Cup std players and not enough marquee players. For example we haven't had a great centre pairing ever. The closest would be Shane Elford and Paul Whatuira but even they were just solid and not marquee players.
I might sound two faced wanting Alaimalo and Alex Lobs to go well but all the other alternatives are proven KOE cup std players and these two haven't had their chance yet.
Those two were awesome penrith centres, the phat had massive luck on his side

Tigerm

First Grade
Given the news of Tupou leaving for the Dolphins (very unfortunate), and the issues we've been having with Nofoluma, I feel like we may need to go after a winger for 2025.

Josh Addo Carr comes off contract at the ends of 2025, so he can start negotiating end of 2024.

I'm going to start a rumour, lets see where it lands: Josh Addo Carr to get out of his contract early and finish his career with Tigers.
Would be good, but his ego is going to be trouble, I think.

Tigerm

First Grade
JL brings a whole new dynamic to the backs, we’d probably get away with another big youngster with some toe on the flanks.

Junior was really going places, but I think repairs are far more pressing in other spots.

Plus youth means general mobility which is good in todays game.

I was just thinking bud needs a lot of hands on to make the best of his game week in and week out. SGI lads a bit sad to see him go. They see great potential.
And we've just brought in two players that fit that bill:

Alex Lobb 196cm, 101kgs and was named NSW cup player of the year.

Solomon Alaimalo 194cm, 102kg ex NZ rugby

Tigerm

First Grade
Of course I wouldn't knock Josh Adabus back as a cheapie but that won't happen one would think, he is an ex-international/SOO player.
I just didn't like the way Josh Adabus gave us the flick so soon after we discovered him to join Melbourne. He then gave us the flick to join the dogs. I'd like us to be in a position never to be used as a door mat again.
Despite Noffa's poor form with his training antics, he will probably be on one wing with Charlie Staines on the other next year but if Noffa gets the flick then Josh Adabus would be ok (at the right price as you said) for a 2 year deal with Alex Lobb and Solomon Alaimalo as reserves. These two have a big future imo.
Olam should be our main focus for me.

My big concern at this stage is if we sign Jarome Luai in 2025 we will have a real gun in Latu Fainu sitting on the bench or in regies. In his debut games for Somoa he played more of a dummy half role as he's too small for a centre.
Otherwise he could play a second ⅝ role which a lot of clubs do these days. This would mean To'a gets pushed to the wing with Naden partnering Olam in the centres.
I feel uneasy about all of this.
We have to see what the club intends to do with Adam Doueihi, Josh Feledy, and Israel Ogden as this may effect what in turn happens with Naden playing centre.
Winger Jordan Hill is a huge loss for us as he's signed with the slimies.
That's why, IMO, a lot of players will be trialling for a couple of positions come 2025, should Luai come?

Tigerm

First Grade

Michael Jordan’s 2023 pay cheque from Nike has reached an absolutely absurd level.
The NBA icon was in October recognised as the first ever athlete to crack Forbes’ annual list of the 400 richest people in America with his net worth soaring to $4.7 billion.

His contract with Nike — and the deal cut with the sport apparel goliath surrounding his personal “Jordan” brand — is well known to have been the real source of his wealth.

Details of the agreement surrounding the Jordan brand — which uses the iconic “Jumpman” logo — have emerged this week with sports business guru Joe Pompliano pointing out Jordan’s pay cheque from the deal will nearly hit $500m (US$330,000 million) this year.

Being really good at sport pays, but being smart in business, as well, pays better hahaha

f**king incredible numbers for a sportsman.

Nutz

Bench
Who is going to be our goal kicker for 2024?
Api or Sezer
Sezer has kicked roughly 1 goal a game in England 2020-2023, unsure of percentage is.
In his NRL games he has kicked 179 goals from 218 attempts which is 82%.
When at the Gold Coast he kicked around the high 80's. Pretty impressive actually.
Api's career goals are around 85% but no where near the amount of attempts compared with Aiden.
Another question... who is going to do the long punt kicks and bombs. Sezer, but what if he's unavailable?

Nutz

Bench
Api or Sezer
Sezer has kicked roughly 1 goal a game in England 2020-2023, unsure of percentage is.
When at the Gold Coast he kicked around the high 80's. Pretty impressive actually.
Api's career goals are around 85% but no where near the amount of attempts compared with Aiden.
Another question... who is going to do the long punt kicks and bombs. Sezer, but what if he's unavailable?
Another thing, Sezer has kicked 12 field goals and Api 0. Hookers can kick field goals ala Farah but it's usually a ½ as the 9 is tied up in the ruck distributing.

Tigerm

First Grade
Another thing, Sezer has kicked 12 field goals and Api 0. Hookers can kick field goals ala Farah but it's usually a ½ as the 9 is tied up in the ruck distributing.
You're having a long preseason aren't you hahaha

Tigerm

First Grade
Api or Sezer
I read that Matamua was a GK in his H Matts days, but he's not a certain starter every week?

Nutz

Bench
You're having a long preseason aren't you hahaha
Someone has to do it. TSP is off with the fairies and the rest are on holidays...that leaves you and me to talk amongst ourselves. :)
The least you could do Tm is change your avatar so we have some fresh content ha ha,

Tigerm

First Grade
Someone has to do it. TSP is off with the fairies and the rest are on holidays...that leaves you and me to talk amongst ourselves. :)
The least you could do Tm is change your avatar so we have some fresh content ha ha,
Not changing Bula, that’s sacrilege. Hahaha

Nutz

Bench
Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover. Some footy players ooze class and some players ooze other stuff.
I bet you, if you were to write down a player that you had doubts with after watching a couple of his first games, I would have picked the same player.
Which makes me wonder what our talent scouts are smokin.

Tigerm

First Grade
Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover. Some footy players ooze class and some players ooze other stuff.
I bet you, if you were to write down a player that you had doubts with after watching a couple of his first games, I would have picked the same player.
Which makes me wonder what our talent scouts are smokin.
Yeah, it just amazes me that some players can get all the way to the NRL level, without any basic skills for the game?
Can’t catch, or tackle or read a game etc.
We’ve certainly had our fair share.

I’ve always believed the NRL is too big, as there are not enough players with the skill set required.

IMO, we need a promotion and relegation system, or at the least, a two division comp (based on areas) that would come together for a super-bowl type game at the end of the season. A bit like the NFL.

But also need to make the talent spread a bit fairer, the cap is a flawed system that is too open to abuse and easy to bypass.

Rant over. Hahaha

Tigerm

First Grade
Yeah, it just amazes me that some players can get all the way to the NRL level, without any basic skills for the game?
Can’t catch, or tackle or read a game etc.
We’ve certainly had our fair share.

I’ve always believed the NRL is too big, as there are not enough players with the skill set required.

IMO, we need a promotion and relegation system, or at the least, a two division comp (based on areas) that would come together for a super-bowl type game at the end of the season. A bit like the NFL.

But also need to make the talent spread a bit fairer, the cap is a flawed system that is too open to abuse and easy to bypass.

Rant over. Hahaha
Maybe if weren’t bolted to the bottom, I wouldn’t mind, so much. Hahaha

Latest posts