What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
A lot can happen in

A lot can happen in 3 years. I will be interesting to see how next year unfolds.
I just listened to that Betoota Advocate podcast, (wasn’t as good as I was led to believe) Richo gives Galvin a huge rap, if Richo stays, I don’t think Galvin will be going anywhere?

Tigerm

First Grade
@Vic Mackey has always said that as much as he loves the kids, they need to be tested in battle on an extended basis.

The leap from playing against school kids to mens level NRL is a steep, harsh and brutal learning curve.

I support every kid, but the extended awesomeness is elusive.
True, but better to start from a top position than being a reserve for reserve player.

What I mean is, someone like Greg Ingleas (spelling) or Benji etc, would have been identified early in there career, though agree, not all will make it.

True, but better to start from a top position than being a reserve for reserve player.

What I mean is, someone like Greg Ingleas (spelling) or Benji etc, would have been identified early in there career, though agree, not all will make it.

Fair enough.

Cody Walker identified relatively late, plays a clump of games …as the best player in the world.

Hands are faster than the eye lol.

Check his passing during this bunnies fight back:

This was a historic performance, I can’t remember a better game in the halves from any player in my lifetime from a purely skills set and game awareness basis.

Before anyone starts on me, Wayne Bennett agrees.

South’s Supermod @callmack1 might agree hopefully.

I love my factory rejects who eventually come good.

Some kind of slow burning talent sparks up and everything is set alight.

But I hear what you say.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Fair enough.

Cody Walker identified relatively late, plays a clump of games …as the best player in the world.

This was a historic performance, I can’t remember a better game in the halves from any player in my lifetime from a purely skills set and game awareness basis.

But I hear what you say.
Agree, people will fall through the cracks, but you do tend to look at the diamonds first, maybe, those who grind will end up better players. I don’t know tbh.

Nutz

Bench
Interesting to see Storm's best 17 next year doesn't include Olam. Instead they are going with Meaney and Sevi.
Interesting. I wonder if they know something.
They do do gave 3 fullbacks too.

Interesting to see Storm's best 17 next year doesn't include Olam. Instead they are going with Meaney and Sevi.
Interesting. I wonder if they know something.
They do do gave 3 fullbacks too.

You do know all about the Advocate hey, it's all giggles and clickbait, nothing is fact

Lol.

Richo has said on the record that he knows and likes Benji and he expects him to be a good coach.

If I was Richo, I’d say the same thing…even with my serious doubts.

Depending on next season, I think we still need to be in the market for the best of the coaching support staff we can afford.

It’s nice to have an old boy and whatever, but forget about names and look at performances. Who are the best training staff, physios out there? They should be with us.

Benji also has to realise that loyalty and stuff has to be wiped away by talent. Promises may need to be broken. That’s not much fun or good for the soul.

No guarantees to any player, but plenty of kindness and support.

Rugby League is very political.

You have to kill to eat.

Nutz

Bench
Lol.

Richo has said on the record that he knows and likes Benji and he expects him to be a good coach.

If I was Richo, I’d say the same thing…even with my serious doubts.

Depending on next season, I think we still need to be in the market for the best of the coaching support staff we can afford.

It’s nice to have an old boy and whatever, but forget about names and look at performances. Who are the best training staff, physios out there? They should be with us.

Benji also has to realise that loyalty and stuff has to be wiped away by talent. Promises may need to be broken. That’s not much fun or good for the soul.

No guarantees to any player, but plenty of kindness and support.

Rugby League is very political.

You have to kill to eat.
Careful TST. Remember you were head hunting those responsible for Ronnie's dismissal.
I agree that we have to move fwd in all departments, even if it ruffles feathers.
What we can't continue to do is sack people like Ronnie without considering the individual first and foremost and secondly the backlash from media and infighting from within the club.
We are family and friends but even the best friends fight. At the end of the day we must be on the same page and care for each other in order to get the job done.
I'd like to see a club that players want to play for, not just for the money but for the work environment and we supporters feel wanted to be part of the club.

murraymob

Coach
Fair enough.

But I hear what you say.
Cody Walker saves his best passing games for when he plays Penrith

Thank you for visiting smuggy buddies during my banning from smug thread.

Thank you for the books.

I will give “My Way” by Ivan Cleary miss at the moment. I might smoke it.

A terrible thing to be falsely accused.

When I am fully exonerated, there will be a party bus.

Nelson Mandela in the next cell, he’s been a source of inspiration.

Last edited:
Careful TST. Remember you were head hunting those responsible for Ronnie's dismissal.
I agree that we have to move fwd in all departments, even if it ruffles feathers.
What we can't continue to do is sack people like Ronnie without considering the individual first and foremost and secondly the backlash from media and infighting from within the club.
We are family and friends but even the best friends fight. At the end of the day we must be on the same page and care for each other in order to get the job done.
I'd like to see a club that players want to play for, not just for the money but for the work environment and we supporters feel wanted to be part of the club.

Yeah, Ronnie was part of the culture and would have likely accepted any position.

He would have been a great ambassador, because he knows a lot about the footy and also gives off the good and healthy vibes.

Robbie should have got butchered before Ronnie.

Legends still need to perform, something Lee completely dispensed with.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Our last season in the top 8 was 12 season ago:(

Finished: 4th, Semi Final (15 Wins, 9 Losses)

Coach: Tim Sheens

Captain: Robbie Farah

Biggest Home Crowd: 27,687 (Rd.22 v St. George-Illawarra Dragons at Sydney Football Stadium)

Average Home Crowd: 17,852

Leading Try-Scorer: Benji Marshall (13 tries)

Leading Point-Scorer: Benji Marshall (211 points)

Season 23
Top scorers
Team information
Points scoredFor: 385; against: 675
CEOJustin Pascoe
Head CoachTim Sheens
Captain
StadiumCommBank Stadium(30,000 – 2 Games)
Leichhardt Oval(20,000 – 3 Games)
Campbelltown Stadium(17,500 – 3 Games)
Avg.attendance12,994
High attendance28,611 (Round 6)
Low attendance12,247 (Round 12)
TriesStarford To'a(7)
GoalsBrandon Wakeham (27)
PointsBrandon Wakeham (62)
New recruit Apisai Koroisau was appointed captain.

What a sad story we have. Still reasonable crowds, considering.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The huge influence of greedy unethical player managers on their clients has given rise to money being the primary motivation which has replaced the commendable loyalty of bygone years when players were part timers & had jobs.Player managers r such grubs that they they don’t think twice about destabilising a club when mid contract they source better money from other clubs for an inform player & hence agitate to get him a release.The only reason a player would pretend to b loyal is when he’s on humungous overs on a long term toxic contract like the pathetic & very fortunate gump brooks experienced at charitable concord.

Nutz

Bench
The huge influence of greedy unethical player managers on their clients has given rise to money being the primary motivation which has replaced the commendable loyalty of bygone years when players were part timers & had jobs.Player managers r such grubs that they they don’t think twice about destabilising a club when mid contract they source better money from other clubs for an inform player & hence agitate to get him a release.The only reason a player would pretend to b loyal is when he’s on humungous overs on a long term toxic contract like the pathetic & very fortunate gump brooks experienced at charitable concord.
Totally agree.
Most players and managers only care about themselves.
I have to laugh when supporters say it's not all about the money....
I say it's all about the money.
What I was trying to say is the club can help downplay untidy contract dramas, player movement and even the clubs internal ups and downs, by thinking about what bad press and the backlash could be and prepare for it.
They have to be one step ahead of the media.
A good press release will leave the journos scratching the dirt. Ronnie is a classic example.
Whilst I can see the club's intention is to inject more professional and youth into Ronnie's role, I can't accept the way it was handled.
The club told me during a telephone conversation that Ronnie's farewell is being handled internally. That tells me that they haven't thought of how the members would react to the dismissal nor do they really care about what we want and think.
We have to have the best people working in our media group.
A US President has people pulling his strings, writing out their press releases and preserving their image. We should be the same. By Having a out CEO and ex chairman come out and talk adhoc is heading for disaster.
P.S. there is only so much a US presidential speechwriter can do with Biden ha ha.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Our last season in the top 8 was 12 season ago:(

Finished: 4th, Semi Final (15 Wins, 9 Losses)

Coach: Tim Sheens

Captain: Robbie Farah

Biggest Home Crowd: 27,687 (Rd.22 v St. George-Illawarra Dragons at Sydney Football Stadium)

Average Home Crowd: 17,852

Leading Try-Scorer: Benji Marshall (13 tries)

Leading Point-Scorer: Benji Marshall (211 points)

Season 23
Team information
Top scorers
Points scoredFor: 385; against: 675
CEOJustin Pascoe
Head CoachTim Sheens
Captain
StadiumCommBank Stadium(30,000 – 2 Games)
Leichhardt Oval(20,000 – 3 Games)
Campbelltown Stadium(17,500 – 3 Games)
Avg.attendance12,994
High attendance28,611 (Round 6)
Low attendance12,247 (Round 12)
TriesStarford To'a(7)
GoalsBrandon Wakeham (27)
PointsBrandon Wakeham (62)
New recruit Apisai Koroisau was appointed captain.

What a sad story we have. Still reasonable crowds, considering.

we should have won the comp in 2011, terrible/lazy game management, poor coaching + bad luck (lawrence/lote long term injuries that they never recovered from, losing bryce gibbs early in the NZ semi) cost us

Vic Mackey

Referee
@Vic Mackey has always said that as much as he loves the kids, they need to be tested in battle on an extended basis.

The leap from playing against school kids to mens level NRL is a steep, harsh and brutal learning curve.

I support every kid, but the extended awesomeness is elusive.

this is why im not as hot on Galvin as a lot of others are. no doubts hes hugley talented and stands out against kids his own age, however the oldest person hes had to play against is 19. unlike Fainu who is also 18 yet has played half a year of flegg, 8 games of nsw cup and a test match for tonga. they arent even comparable (btw this aint a shot at Lachlan, I want to keep him, I just think the wraps are a bit over the top atm).

Tiger Ted

Bench
Totally agree.
Most players and managers only care about themselves.
I have to laugh when supporters say it's not all about the money....
I say it's all about the money.
What I was trying to say is the club can help downplay untidy contract dramas, player movement and even the clubs internal ups and downs, by thinking about what bad press and the backlash could be and prepare for it.
They have to be one step ahead of the media.
A good press release will leave the journos scratching the dirt. Ronnie is a classic example.
Whilst I can see the club's intention is to inject more professional and youth into Ronnie's role, I can't accept the way it was handled.
The club told me during a telephone conversation that Ronnie's farewell is being handled internally. That tells me that they haven't thought of how the members would react to the dismissal nor do they really care about what we want and think.
We have to have the best people working in our media group.
A US President has people pulling his strings, writing out their press releases and preserving their image. We should be the same. By Having a out CEO and ex chairman come out and talk adhoc is heading for disaster.
P.S. there is only so much a US presidential speechwriter can do with Biden ha ha.
This is why we have to move heaven & earth to lock in the ruthless rugby league savvy Richo to a commitment for at least 2 yrs preferably 3+yrs.Under Richo’s reign the pissants on Nrl 360 & Murdoch journal of fiction will get nothing from concord as opposed to the constant grovelling & leaking of info from the megalomaniac suckhole Hag & his sidekick the bogan.
Re Ronnie he’s a champion bloke with invaluable experience he can impart to the young kids & our inexperienced coaching group.Unforgiveable they gave him the flick.

Latest posts