What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
K you’ll
we should have won the comp in 2011, terrible/lazy game management, poor coaching + bad luck (lawrence/lote long term injuries that they never recovered from, losing bryce gibbs early in the NZ semi) cost us
I reckon 2010 was the one that got away.In the magnificent prelim final we had saints measure & looked like we would get them at the death but sowards kicking game was superior to ours & was the difference in the nail-biter albeit we were the better team.Ive got no doubt we swap coaches with saints we would’ve won as Bennett got the best out of Soward & protected him in defence.

Tigerm

First Grade
This is why we have to move heaven & earth to lock in the ruthless rugby league savvy Richo to a commitment for at least 2 yrs preferably 3+yrs.Under Richo’s reign the pissants on Nrl 360 & Murdoch journal of fiction will get nothing from concord as opposed to the constant grovelling & leaking of info from the megalomaniac suckhole Hag & his sidekick the bogan.
Re Ronnie he’s a champion bloke with invaluable experience he can impart to the young kids & our inexperienced coaching group.Unforgiveable they gave him the flick.
I think Ronnie seemed a nice bloke, but after more than a decade out of finals, things do need to change, he was in his mid 70’s, it was time.
TBH, not sure if he could offer anything more than what he has offered in the past, the club has made massive changes, you probably won’t get different results, if you don’t.
I think Sheens showed us that the game can pass you by.
The club has never shown that they forget anybody and he will always be remembered for his service, but it shouldn’t mean you stay forever.
Hopefully he enjoys a well deserved retirement.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I think Ronnie seemed a nice bloke, but after more than a decade out of finals, things do need to change, he was in his mid 70’s, it was time.
TBH, not sure if he could offer anything more than what he has offered in the past, the club has made massive changes, you probably won’t get different results, if you don’t.
I think Sheens showed us that the game can pass you by.
The club has never shown that they forget anybody and he will always be remembered for his service, but it shouldn’t mean you stay forever.
Hopefully he enjoys a well deserved retirement.
All so true.

This is why we have to move heaven & earth to lock in the ruthless rugby league savvy Richo to a commitment for at least 2 yrs preferably 3+yrs.Under Richo’s reign the pissants on Nrl 360 & Murdoch journal of fiction will get nothing from concord as opposed to the constant grovelling & leaking of info from the megalomaniac suckhole Hag & his sidekick the bogan.
Re Ronnie he’s a champion bloke with invaluable experience he can impart to the young kids & our inexperienced coaching group.Unforgiveable they gave him the flick.

Yep, Richo is likely to stay on as he loves a challenge.

And I agree, Ronnie was the least of our problems. Part of the culture of change everything underneath to sell to the masses as “the answer.”

Plus the way it was done was pretty ordinary.

He’s got a small but valuable place in the broader league culture and we could have done a lot more with him.

It’s because the joint was run by knobs who didnt understand the game.

this is why im not as hot on Galvin as a lot of others are. no doubts hes hugley talented and stands out against kids his own age, however the oldest person hes had to play against is 19. unlike Fainu who is also 18 yet has played half a year of flegg, 8 games of nsw cup and a test match for tonga. they arent even comparable (btw this aint a shot at Lachlan, I want to keep him, I just think the wraps are a bit over the top atm).

Yep.

There’s some big kids and they have the residual adolescent energy but I think in your 20’s you can pack a lot more muscle on.

Plus of course the experience and the best is game time in game conditions.

That’s moving all the right muscles, commanding the skills and of course, learning.

Every game is an opportunity to learn, no two are alike.

An experienced player who runs out with the power and knowledge is often going to run roughshod over the youngster with the freak exception.

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
K you’ll

I reckon 2010 was the one that got away.In the magnificent prelim final we had saints measure & looked like we would get them at the death but sowards kicking game was superior to ours & was the difference in the nail-biter albeit we were the better team.Ive got no doubt we swap coaches with saints we would’ve won as Bennett got the best out of Soward & protected him in defence.
If we had just picked up the ball and stopped that prick Anasta kicking that field goal I. The first semi we would of got the week off, probably got past the titans easy and then faced the dragons in the GF. If we played to our best in the GF the pressure would of got to them more than in the prelim I reckon

I would have set up a Ronnie Palmer Membership where apart from the regular stuff, you can attend a “work out with Ronnie” session once a month.

Get it officially licensed by the NRL.

Then you can tell your friends at the office you’re on an NRL level training regime.

If you complete the course, you can get a certificate. API can sign it.

Everyone completes the course.

But you could have Ronnie Plus or Ronnie extra where you have a sign a waiver in case you pass away doing the hard yard NRL work.

70s disco night with Ronnie as DJ would be good too.

He’d be so funny taking the piss out of it.

I have a lot of time for him.

Just an idea: Get him on the ‘ken board.

Tigerm

First Grade
I would have set up a Ronnie Palmer Membership where apart from the regular stuff, you can attend a “work out with Ronnie” session once a month.

Get it officially licensed by the NRL.

Then you can tell your friends at the office you’re on an NRL level training regime.

If you complete the course, you can get a certificate. API can sign it.

Everyone completes the course.

But you could have Ronnie Plus or Ronnie extra where you have a sign a waiver in case you pass away doing the hard yard NRL work.

70s disco night with Ronnie as DJ would be good too. He’d be so funny taking the piss out of it. A fun brawl perhaps.
He'd f**king kill us, he's old, but he'd still be fitter than most hahaha

Of course in the cows catastrophe , I would have field-graded Ronnie and given him a run.

Would have shown more heart and effort than the pack of overpaid loafers we had out there.

Even if he curled up into a ball and rolled at someone, that was better than the pull we were giving them towards our try line.

That game set the legendary petition in motion I understand.

I don’t attribute the change in the board to the petition, but it was no doubt an important influence.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
this is why im not as hot on Galvin as a lot of others are. no doubts hes hugley talented and stands out against kids his own age, however the oldest person hes had to play against is 19. unlike Fainu who is also 18 yet has played half a year of flegg, 8 games of nsw cup and a test match for tonga. they arent even comparable (btw this aint a shot at Lachlan, I want to keep him, I just think the wraps are a bit over the top atm).
Mack I wonder if people thought the same as you and I when they saw a young Cameron Smith or a Wayne Pearce playing in Flegg.
Every player was young and learning the ropes at some stage and the raw talented players destined for big things stood out but some didn't.
A crystal ball would be great hey. If we new that Galvin is going to be the next great SOO/Australian rep player would we let him go?
We probably would ha ha ha.

Last edited:
Richo is about bringing the right people in as well.

We don’t need kpis and stuff, old model us 1950s management.

We need staff to buy in is the main thing.

And improve the working environment.

Give them the tools they need from cleaner to 2ic.

Don’t automatically assume club staff are not doing their job. Look at how and why they are doing it. Ask them how they can improve it.

We want staff to come to work looking forward to their day and wiling to do overs without fuss when required. Not to exploit them.

But at least Richo is a leader. He’s not always trying to bullshit everything away.

Has the odd mistake in him, but that’s part of the territory. He will get more right than he gets wrong.

Bringing in Madge to South’s and Mark Hughes (now at dogs) to recruit the burgess and Ben Teo etc are amongst his best work.

I think the Wighton recruitment is a real 50/50 for them for the price. They need a lot from him.

Letting go of Reynolds was one of the worse official decisions in recent history.

Made us look semi professional….except we kept paying brooks a kings ransom for factory efforts, year after year after year.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
,but I am really hoping for some details on exactly what was wrong and exactly what the solutions were
Jim if your expecting the details or a full report of the independent review, something tells me we are not going to be privi to it, not all if it anyway. I'm probably wrong, don't know.
I'm sort of on the fence with this. If it's all doom and gloom would releasing it to the media be another nail in the coffin.
All I want to see happen is for certain things to be implemented to avoid a board to be untouchable and for us fans to have a say. Also to have the club more transparent to members and above all, stop making bloody stupid decisions and letting the whole world know that they are dumb.
Who did the demand for an independent inquiry did Joel Helmes send the partition to.
Perhaps that's the source of where your answer will come from Jim. It was probably someone from the Holman Barnes Group (HBG) who picked up on the partition or maybe the results were passed onto someone at the HBG.
For now, all we want is positive media and for us to get back on the bus and let the scars heal.

MugaB

Coach
Richo is about bringing the right people in as well.

We don’t need kpis and stuff, old model us 1950s management.

We need staff to buy in is the main thing.

And improve the working environment.

Give them the tools they need from cleaner to 2ic.

Don’t automatically assume club staff are not doing their job. Look at how and why they are doing it. Ask them how they can improve it.

We want staff to come to work looking forward to their day and wiling to do overs without fuss when required. Not to exploit them.

But at least Richo is a leader. He’s not always trying to bullshit everything away.

Has the odd mistake in him, but that’s part of the territory. He will get more right than he gets wrong.

Bringing in Madge to South’s and Mark Hughes (now at dogs) to recruit the burgess and Ben Teo etc are amongst his best work.

I think the Wighton recruitment is a real 50/50 for them for the price. They need a lot from him.

Letting go of Reynolds was one of the worse official decisions in recent history.

Made us look semi professional….except we kept paying brooks a kings ransom for factory efforts, year after year after year.
Richo got roy asatasi, after he got him the dominos fell, other players came to souths knowing they had a marquee front rower, it was like having payne haas back then

WA Tiger

Bench
Jim if your expecting the details or a full report of the independent review, something tells me we are not going to be privi to it, not all if it anyway. I'm probably wrong, don't know.
I'm sort of on the fence with this. If it's all doom and gloom would releasing it to the media be another nail in the coffin.
All I want to see happen is for certain things to be implemented to avoid a board to be untouchable and for us fans to have a say. Also to have the club more transparent to members and above all, stop making bloody stupid decisions and letting the whole world know that they are dumb.
Who did the demand for an independent inquiry did Joel Helmes send the partition to.
Perhaps that's the source of where your answer will come from Jim. It was probably someone from the Holman Barnes Group (HBG) who picked up on the partition or maybe the results were passed onto someone at the HBG.
For now, all we want is positive media and for us to get back on the bus and let the scars heal.
Fence sitting has been banned from the wt forum..concerns about what people think and gaining favour can now not be used as an excuse. An AI based, virtual balls growing facility has been created for the few repeat offenders.
We now also have the option of forced time in lower grade forums, for those unable to prove they are at “grown person” level.
(pet hate)

Last edited:
Richo got roy asatasi, after he got him the dominos fell, other players came to souths knowing they had a marquee front rower, it was like having payne haas back then

And Nigel Vagana ( vags), he was a ripper of a player and cult figure. Had that cool factor.

That’s what’s missing in todays footy, that unstated cool factor.

A lot of the NRL players, they want to cement their brand. Kiks and his toilet brush haircut. They just end up looking poncey try hards.

Players like vags, the camel, Jon Wilson, Kerry Hemsley, Joe Cool, Steve Geogalis, Rowdy in his latter era, Ben Teo, just cool on sight.

Should do a thread.

Inspired post smuga, join us at WT for life my son. We are the future, don’t die of the smug inhalation. You have other life choices.

Last edited:

Good response, my 2 cents:

I don’t think we will see the report unless it’s leaked. The main thing is the outcome and on available information that outcome was correct.

I’d love to see it, but it can be summarised thus “ decisions made have not been in the clubs best interests” which we all know.

As for media, we have a new board etc, it is probably old news tbh. Other than us, not a lot of interest unless it’s criminal or dodgy which I highly doubt. Lee and Co were not crooks, just incompetent.

With the ability to sack a board, the club has been held accountable. It’s just come far too late. I am for a member controlled club ultimately. A Wests Tigers member controlled club. But I would keep Magpie and a Balmain reps on there as a sign of respect for heritage in equal measure, but not as controlling interests.

I would also give a “ voice” to members via technology. In a draw situation on an important matter, the voice result can determine the way we go. So we all get the opportunity to have a small say. We can expand on that later.

Also a proper AGM with voting rights to members. Allow the tech in, so we don’t have to travel.

The corporates who have run the club haven’t done a good job. We should power share.

I think the media will do its own thing. I think a lot of good changes came from media pressure.

I don’t think we lost any games because of the media.

We need a free media too. Listen to Lee on the sen podcast and that selected bullshitting info is what you get.

I’m not interested in the club looking $1m, I want to win games and have a club we can believe in and whose values align with mine.

I agree we all should become members. It should be cheaper and more accessible to battlers. $80 for some people, it is too much.

I’d offer a “back on bus” membership for $20.00 for skeptics which you can upgrade later to full membership. You get a sticker and acknowledgment and that’s it.

No one should expect any overnight miracles, but we seem to be in a much better place.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Good response, my 2 cents:

I don’t think we will see the report unless it’s leaked. The main thing is the outcome and on available information that outcome was correct.

I’d love to see it, but it can be summarised thus “ decisions made have not been in the clubs best interests” which we all know.

As for media, we have a new board etc, it is probably old news tbh. Other than us, not a lot of interest unless it’s criminal or dodgy which I highly doubt. Lee and Co were not crooks, just incompetent.

With the ability to sack a board, the club has been held accountable. It’s just come far too late. I am for a member controlled club ultimately. A Wests Tigers member controlled club. But I would keep Magpie and a Balmain reps on there as a sign of respect for heritage in equal measure, but not as controlling interests.

I would also give a “ voice” to members via technology. In a draw situation on an important matter, the voice result can determine the way we go. So we all get the opportunity to have a small say. We can expand on that later.

Also a proper AGM with voting rights to members. Allow the tech in, so we don’t have to travel.

The corporates who have run the club haven’t done a good job. We should power share.

I think the media will do its own thing. I think a lot of good changes came from media pressure.

I don’t think we lost any games because of the media.

We need a free media too. Listen to Lee on the sen podcast and that selected bullshitting info is what you get.

I’m not interested in the club looking $1m, I want to win games and have a club we can believe in and whose values align with mine.

I agree we all should become members. It should be cheaper and more accessible to battlers. $80 for some people, it is too much.

I’d offer a “back on bus” membership for $20.00 for skeptics which you can upgrade later to full membership. You get a sticker and acknowledgment and that’s it.

No one should expect any overnight miracles, but we seem to be in a much better place.
From what I took from the board fallout was:
It was just a power play to get rid of Lee, probably believed Pascoe would fall on his sword.
BUT
WA have relinquished nothing.
They have made the board a smaller unit, from 9 to 7, I believe?
Lee got the chop from the chairman’s chair.
Barry O’F has the gig.
Pascoe resigned as CEO
Richo got the gig.
The Balmain member Stapleton, was not terminated
I believe 4 more to join the board?
West Magpies still to nominate who fills their seat, Dennis Burgess is the sitting president of West Magpies.
Which leaves 3 seats to fill? I don’t think they actually mentioned how that process will occur? But WA will retain control.

So far, the best news is Richo coming on board, but not much else? TBH, not really expecting it to, either.

Last edited:
From what I took from the board fallout was:
It was just a power play to get rid of Lee, probably believed Pascoe would fall on his sword.
BUT
WA have relinquished nothing.
They have made the board a smaller unit, from 9 to 7, I believe?
Lee got the chop from the chairman’s chair.
Barry O’F has the gig.
Pascoe resigned as CEO
Richo got the gig.
The Balmain member Stapleton, was not terminated
I believe 4 more to join the board?
West Magpies still to nominate who fills their seat, Dennis Burgess is the sitting president of West Magpies.
Which leaves 3 seats to fill? I don’t think they actually mentioned how that process will occur? But WA will retain control.

So far, the best news is Richo coming on board, but not much else? TBH, not really expecting it to, either.

Yeah you are probably right, I was just throwing up my progressive model.

We are of course, stuck in a twentieth century management model, before iPhones and lightning communications.

They definitely nailed Lee. The report was leaking like a sieve and I guess HB had lost control ( as Lee rightly speculated) and so they moved promptly. Exactly why they did so, what they were thinking, I am unsure.

In a perfect world, Lee and Justin should have had the opportunity to respond or comment. I mean he was the figurehead and entitled to process, no matter how much he pummelled us. It was done and dusted by then anyway.

I suppose he was some kind of threat to them, somehow. I mean I would have been happy to meet with him and go through his concerns. Nodded my head and agreed with everything, while texting Bazza.

But that said, many executive decisions were made or pushed along by Lee and Co that ended in utter disaster.

But that is a kind of a vengeful take.

To climb out of the mess, transparent processes should be endorsed. Lee and Justin should have got a seat at the table. Hear them out.

I can understand secrecy but only in very limited circumstances such as recruitment and staff privacy etc.

I suppose that’s the high road, but rugby league is a brutal political animal. In some ways, makes it fascinating and riveting.

Last edited: