What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Knight Tales

Juniors
The way the roster is building for next season it is hard to see anyone but O'Brien being here start of next year. Why let him sign who he wants only to sack him. Not saying it is ideal but inheriting a roster you didn't build is a recipe for disaster for incoming coaches at struggling clubs.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
The way the roster is building for next season it is hard to see anyone but O'Brien being here start of next year. Why let him sign who he wants only to sack him. Not saying it is ideal but inheriting a roster you didn't build is a recipe for disaster for incoming coaches at struggling clubs.
I think Wests see AOB as a coach that will develop into a good coach, for the sake of stability I cant see them getting rid of him any time soon.

I also dont see AOB developing into a good coach, the signs just arent there. From recruitment through to culture I just dont see it from him.

Otherwise known as the Bulldogs coaching strategy

Yosh

Coach

Is AOB making the signings? They all look like Zammit signings to me. Payton has taken Zammit signings and made them into a solid winning team. If we get the likes of KPP & Pryce, we have a great pool of young talent plus Ponga. I'm sure plenty of qualified people would love a crack.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Is AOB making the signings? They all look like Zammit signings to me. Payton has taken Zammit signings and made them into a solid winning team. If we get the likes of KPP & Pryce, we have a great pool of young talent plus Ponga. I'm sure plenty of qualified people would love a crack.
Zammit does not recruit independent of the coach.

Yosh

Coach
Zammit does not recruit independent of the coach.

Sure he does. You're saying AOB has a clear strategy in mind? His grand plan includes only specific players? He is so skilled that he has all that time to fully vet every rugby player available to sign? Zammit is making the signings.

TooheysNew

Coach
Sure he does. You're saying AOB has a clear strategy in mind? His grand plan includes only specific players? He is so skilled that he has all that time to fully vet every rugby player available to sign? Zammit is making the signings.
What? That's not how it works at all.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Just on those three premiership winning coaches, Flanagan, Green & Maguire.

Firstly I can’t see Green coming here because we have several former cowboys players in our team that Green either didn’t rate or didn’t have high enough up the pecking order there, Ponga being the main one. I’m not saying that the players would necessarily go to the club and tell them not to go after Green but I’m sure it would be in the club’s thinking that you wouldn’t want to start off on the back foot with various players who already don’t see eye to eye with an incoming coach.

In terms of Maguire I love his mentality and the culture that he would try to build here but I wonder if he’s a bit burnt out at this stage after what he’s been through at the Tigers. I feel like it would have been ideal to get him about 4-5 years ago rather than now. Anyway I think he’s still got some coaching left in him even if he doesn’t survive at the Tigers, but maybe he needs a rest and some time as an assistant again before stepping back into the hot seat straight away.

Flanagan looks like a great option on paper but it just has a bad smell about it doesn’t it... I’m sure a club will take the punt on him sooner or later though, I’m sure a few wins would get the fans on-side.

macavity

Referee
No retreads thanks.

if we end up sacking O’Brien I would put money on Woolf being our next coach.

aqua_duck

Coach
maybe with lower graders and juniors the 1st grade coach wouldnt have as much input but with top 30 guys the 1st grade coach has probably the biggest input and rightly so since its their necks on the line

Jono078

Referee
Not AOB news but could somewhat affect us down the line..

Madge Maguire is set to be sacked within a week.

Nathan Brown has told the Warriors he won’t be moving to New Zealand.

I’d consider Madge for assistant but I think he needs a break, plus it may be hard to get player respect after such a crap time at the Tigers.

But that’s potentially 3 head coaches we miss out on if we decide late in the game that AOB is not the man.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
I reckon Brown would make a good assistant coach, or maybe even a development role. Just not a head coach thanks.

I'd be on the phone to Madge straight away offering him an assistant gig at Newy. If AOB employs an experienced coach as an assistant I'd be confident he's headed in the right direction to improve himself.

mozza91

Coach
Sack the bloke who got us to the finals for the bloke who couldn’t get us to the finals. That’s a very Newcastle thing to do.