What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

PhilGould

Bench
INSIDE KNIGHTS’ COACHING REVAMP

Four-time English Super League winner Brian McDermott will join the Knights next season as part of Adam O’Brien’s revamped coaching staff.

Newcastle will add the experienced mentor to their coaching set up after assistant coach Willie Peters left to take up the head coaching position at Hull KR. McDermott will add some experience to the Knights staff.

The 52-year-old led Leeds to multiple Super League championships and McDermott also guided Toronto Wolfpack into the Super League.

He spent this year coaching Featherstone Rovers in the second-tier competition. The ex-Bradford prop almost joined the NRL ahead of the 2021 season after being sounded out by former Sharks coach John Morris to be his assistant.

Covid-19 complications put an end to that. McDermott is in England assisting the Fijian team at the World Cup.

Jono078

Referee
I feel like I've heard his name in a positive light in rugby league circles?

Hope it works and helps attract further UK talent over.

I still hold out hope that Brian Smith's boy will be our next coach. Yes please.

Bdubs

Juniors
Great appointment. Great coach. Ex British Soldier. No bullshit human.
i don't know much about him but if your correct about the no bull, then he'll at a minimum hold the players to account. Something O'Brien is incapable of doing.

Could also be a backup plan for O'Brien if we have a bad start

aqua_duck

Coach
Or he could be driven out if the players don't like how tough he is.
After this season's sh*t show I somehow doubt the players have much sway, I mean they could threaten to leave but there wouldn't be many teams knocking down the doors to pick up our players

Knight Tales

Juniors
i don't know much about him but if your correct about the no bull, then he'll at a minimum hold the players to account. Something O'Brien is incapable of doing.

Could also be a backup plan for O'Brien if we have a bad start
He won’t give the players crap. That is not his go. At Leeds he was not afraid to make big calls on players, but that is not his role here. He is experienced in winning titles (4 In SL I believe) and is well respected across the game despite this being his NRL debut. Could be exactly what Adam needs. Parr would have done his homework. He’s also a valuable voice and support for the English lads if they feel a little homesick.

Latest posts