What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

HarVeeGee

Juniors
We’re definitely seeing evidence for the “DK wouldn’t play to the game plan/attacking system” argument.

Also the ball playing that DK was showing off in the trials for Wests and which AOB had allegedly coached out of him? The big fella kept it up for round 1 and that’s it.

Jono078

Referee
This thread has been a bit quiet lately lol
That’s a great thing haha.

I will say I am surprised. I thought for sure he’d be on the scrap heap by now. Barry Toohey puts it down to AOB doing the pre-season how he wanted and also the staff we’ve acquired. There’s definitely a different edge to the team this year - except for the 1 soft try they let in each game.

ryan.a87

Juniors
I think the answer is pretty obvious what has changed

cowboys, broncos and sharks were all pretty average teams, then they all signed a genuine no7 and all became final contenders

we haven’t had a solid no7 for many many years (Pearce is highly overrated, and hodkinson would have been good if he wasn’t always playing injured)

Knight Tales

Juniors
What is impressive is how he has had to do this under immense pressure to save his career. The defence still needs load of work, but at least we have the points in us to counter it to some degree. This attack has been completely overhauled. It is nothing like what we saw the last three years. It is controlled, calm and patient. I do not recognise this side at all. Not one game this year have we not been a position to win it. That is more than I expected for the year, let alone the first quarter of the season.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
It's really impressive we've done what we have, without Ponga.

Just imagine if we had a red hot Ponga playing for us. We very well may be undefeated.

I know the players we've acquired aren't superstars but they all have similar characteristics in that they want the ball and they have a competitive edge to them.

I would really love to hear AOB give his take on why this year has been such a stark contrast to last.

Also still let's not get to far ahead of ourselveds. We're only 1/4 into the season - which typically has been our best quarter under AOB.

Apey

Staff member
Yeah the attack and the competing/attitude are the two biggest changes this year.

We look better but we've also made the finals twice under AOB and it's RD7 so let's not get carried away.

perverse

Referee
I mean he's obviously bought himself some time. If we're still playing with this attitude at the end of the season then I think we're a good shot of playing finals footy, and he'll have rightly saved his job. Question marks over Brailey and Pongas long term future aside, it should be a stronger roster next year too.

As for what went wrong last year... I don't think you can bake it down to a single factor. Having no halves didn't help obviously. Having a bludger of a pre-season (by all accounts in retrospect) didn't help. Pongas injuries obviously didn't help. Klemmer didn't help (which it seems everyone has woken up to now). I don't know if any of this fully explains or excuses the blatent lack of effort and regard for the jersey last year either - so I feel like there's still something missing there that we may never be privy to. Maybe they've finally decided to lay off so many nose beers this year, or at least only treat themselves after a win.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Reckon Willie went over there saying he's been involved in 4 grand finals because he worked with a coach who was involved in 4 grand finals?

The other big ones are obviously Klemmer and Hayden Knowles.

Perhaps Peter Parr had some positive influence or gave AOB more freedom this off-season. Who really knows.

Burwood

Bench
I think AOB has always been a quality coach, but the big difference is this year he seems to have surrounded himself with quality assistants. McDermott, a former Royal Marine, has surely has his fingerprints on the team’s new resolve and courage in defence as well.

Latest posts