What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Knight Tales

Bench
A bit in here about O’Brien’s contract. It will be an expensive sacking if it happens. There is a part of me which thinks they are trying to push him out the door by going over him. The club can make it almost impossible for him without actually sacking him. Sounds like O’Sullivan has full authority to Hoover the place.

Woody90

Juniors
A bit in here about O’Brien’s contract. It will be an expensive sacking if it happens. There is a part of me which thinks they are trying to push him out the door by going over him. The club can make it almost impossible for him without actually sacking him. Sounds like O’Sullivan has full authority to Hoover the place.

I wonder where the speculation re Madge is coming from (if anywhere) as he wouldn’t be a great choice even if we sacked AOB IMO.

He’s too intense for week in week out coaching (not just our players but anywhere). Not judging his record on his Tigers stint as they’re a bigger circus than us, but his Souths squads weren’t performing great towards the end of his time there. He’s a good coach for SOO or say for one year when you already have the team primed for a premiership. That’s not us.

macavity

Referee
I wonder where the speculation re Madge is coming from (if anywhere) as he wouldn’t be a great choice even if we sacked AOB IMO.

He’s too intense for week in week out coaching (not just our players but anywhere). Not judging his record on his Tigers stint as they’re a bigger circus than us, but his Souths squads weren’t performing great towards the end of his time there. He’s a good coach for SOO or say for one year when you already have the team primed for a premiership. That’s not us.

There aren't any coaches available that move the needle for us.

Having said that, we are very obviously an unhappy and poorly coached team.

Woody90

Juniors
There aren't any coaches available that move the needle for us.

Having said that, we are very obviously an unhappy and poorly coached team.

At this point I’d be happy if we had a coach that at least let us play a style of football we enjoy watching even if it doesn’t lead to success. Obviously I’d like both but we have neither with AOB.

We’ve not been successful in a long time, long before AOB, but I don’t even ever enjoy watching the side play anymore now and really what’s the point if you don’t even like watching your side play?

Nuke

Staff member
At this point I’d be happy if we had a coach that at least let us play a style of football we enjoy watching even if it doesn’t lead to success. Obviously I’d like both but we have neither with AOB.

We’ve not been successful in a long time, long before AOB, but I don’t even ever enjoy watching the side play anymore now and really what’s the point if you don’t even like watching your side play?
This is a valid point for a lot of us, I'd suggest. At the end of the day, for us, footy is entertainment. They get paid to entertain us. If they're not entertaining us, we have no obligation or great want to watch.

Yosh

Coach
Random question and just putting it out there.

Let's say AOB was absent for a month. We just train but no direction from AOB at training or during games. You guys reckon we would do any worse than we have the past few games?

I personally don't think so. Watching our performances, I get the feeling we aren't being coached properly. I can't put my finger on it exactly but maybe it's what I see from the lack of cohesion in attack? Or how we seem to do the same thing over and over again when it's clear it's not working?

What you guys think?

perverse

Referee
Random question and just putting it out there.

Let's say AOB was absent for a month. We just train but no direction from AOB at training or during games. You guys reckon we would do any worse than we have the past few games?

I personally don't think so. Watching our performances, I get the feeling we aren't being coached properly. I can't put my finger on it exactly but maybe it's what I see from the lack of cohesion in attack? Or how we seem to do the same thing over and over again when it's clear it's not working?

What you guys think?
You can't really say much about what we do at training, because they show us so little on the field. There's a few things you can say:

1. Our up and in defence is quite well drilled, particularly on the goalline. The cover defence knows when and where to be especially.
2. Any kick outside our 40m, but not in their red zone is a chip-bomb to a corner designed to land when the defence arrives as a single line to complete the tackle and start the next set. There is zero adventure outside of this one single kick. That is the kick we do.
3. We train one or two "shapes" in attack with very little variation. On the VERY rare occasion we venture outside of this structure, it almost always results in points. You can argue both ways on this, that because we're so predictable it actually creates opportunities for us to ballplay - but our ratio needs to be like 60-70% boring, not 99.99% boring and a trick shot once every 2 months.
4. The short ball to KPP is GOLD. GOLD GOLD GOLD. Do it ALWAYS AND OFTEN. The guy hasn't broken the line all year or scored a try... but maybe this time?
5. The right side of the field doesn't exist outside of Friz except when we need something desperate from Gags once or twice a game.
6. Repeat sets? Is that a maths thing?
7. The only attacking kick im sure we train is the chip to the second rower on the edge of the middle-third of the field. I actually think this is more effective than chipping for our outside backs tbh.
8. *after many sets of KP screaming for the ball and KPP taking short balls* run the same shape we always run and hope KP can magic something on the left.

Outside of the above, I really don't know what they do at training for most of the year. Probably just the very basic shit like wrestling, tackle bags, sand dunes and sinking gallons of piss and nose beers.