What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

blaza88z

Coach
This is fantastic news, I don't doubt Bennett's ability to coach, you don't simply lose the ability to coach after coaching teams to 7 premiership wins

my gut feel was he left Brisbane for the cash, I always felt his heart was with the Broncos.. after all it was the dynasty that he created, what happened at Newcastle needs to be forgotten. I would argue that he experienced the most off-field dramas at Newcastle than he did with any other club

Nerd

Bench
I don't feel sorry for Griffin at all, his inability to select players in their correct positions and to drop non performing players has led to his downfall. The guy kept Peter Wallace at halfback for the majority of last year and left Ben Hunt on the bench as back up hooker....

This year he has kept Hoffman at 5/8 when he is obviously a fullback or winger. While it looks like Hoffman has tried his ring out the guy can't pass FFS.

Dazzat

First Grade
I don't feel sorry for Griffin at all, his inability to select players in their correct positions and to drop non performing players has led to his downfall. The guy kept Peter Wallace at halfback for the majority of last year and left Ben Hunt on the bench as back up hooker....

This year he has kept Hoffman at 5/8 when he is obviously a fullback or winger. While it looks like Hoffman has tried his ring out the guy can't pass FFS.

Exactly. Griffin's inability to nurture new talent has cost the club big time. Just look at Ben Hunt. Griffin kept him on the bench for how long? He preferred Wallace and Scott Prince. Griffin has the ability to miss the bleeding obvious.

He had a match winning halfback right in front of him and couldn't see it. Don't want to be too harsh, but it seemed that Griffin continually made decisions not in the players' best interest, but to protect his backside.

Remember the pipeline that saw wave after wave of new talent come up through the ranks - top young player after top young player debuted for the club. Now, barely a trickle, and with one of the biggest rugby league catchments in the nation.

Snappy

Coach
THE Brisbane Broncos today confirm that Anthony Griffin will finish his tenure as head coach of the club at the conclusion of the 2014 season.

Wayne Bennett will return as head coach of the Broncos in 2015.

Griffin today said he had accepted the decision made by the board, and would focus all his energies on winning the 2014 NRL premiership for the club.

“I have been at the Broncos for seven years, with four of those as head coach, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time,” said Griffin.

“I am confident that the team and club are set up to have sustained success in the years to come.

“I would like to thank all the members and fans for the support they have shown me.

“And I especially want to thank all the players and staff that I have worked with, and confirm my commitment to the team for the rest of the 2014 season.”

Chief executive Paul White today thanked Griffin for his years of work for the club, and said there was much to be excited about for the conclusion to this season.

“By the end of the season Anthony will have had four years in the head coaching role and his legacy will be a strong and proud one,” said White.

“As our members and supporters are aware, Anthony has been largely responsible for the development of the nucleus of our current squad.

“He has always shown the mark of his character and integrity in his ability to make difficult decisions in the face of adversity and for the betterment of the club as a whole.

“He has got the team into a strong position this year, who now have everything to play for in the remaining weeks of the season.”

The Broncos will hold a press conference at 2.30pm this afternoon to answer questions from the media.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/07/21/broncos_coaching_statement.html

Big Pete

Referee
A bitter sweet moment.

While Bennett was virtually the only viable alternative to Hook, I don't like the idea of running back to him especially with the way he's performed at the Knights. While if I was given a choice between the two, I'd have to go with Wayne even to this day, I hope he implements a good succession plan and hope he we don't have to pay a price.

On Hook, don't really feel bad for him the way things unfolded. He didn't exactly receive the head coaching role under the most pristine of circumstances so getting the tap on the shoulder after such a dramatic victory wasn't exactly uncalled for. I believe history will remember him as a failure although they should remember him as a good reserve coach who had a lot to do with the development of a lot of quality players who was unable to make the step up required to make it at the NRL level.

I don't think he was as clueless as some fans would have you believe and definitely think he got the team to put in 90% of the time but just came in at a time where the Broncos needed a coach to make the big decisions post-Lockyer and Hook wasn't the guy.

I really hope Wayne can go out with one more premiership up here and will be very interested to see where the Broncos head next.

Kiwi

First Grade
Pete was waiting patiently for your reply to this. A good read as usual. Do you think Bennett will get Barba back to doing what he does best and improve Kennedy should he stay?

Last edited:

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah well said Pete.

I am happy to open the doors for Bennett again. Results will be the real test however.

Man that media announcement is such fluffed up crap! -It's like Griffin is being given a medal of honour and confirming to hand back a sparkling shiny trophy to the once proud coach.

Realistically he is being given a quick 'thank you very much, now get the f**k out and PS thanks for the mess'.

Paul White has much to be "excited about the conclusion to this season"??. Besides Wayne coming back. Give me 3 points you're excited about Paul...

to_ddeath

Coach
You seriously weren't travelling that badly to lose Griffin, however I had a feeling that Bennett was heading your way after the Penriff loss.
All very sneakily done however I can't begrudge him the right to return to be near his family at his age.
Despite that, I hope it all fails. LOL @ 50k memberships, a total pipe dream....

Big Pete

Referee
Pete was waiting patiently for your reply to this. A good read as usual. Do you think Bennett will get Barba back to doing what he does best and improve Kennedy should he stay?

No idea, hope so.

Right now, it would be too premature to suggest that everything would be peachy. I don't expect everything to be perfect under Wayne and hope fans don't either.

Dazzat

First Grade
Bennett is too smart not to be thinking succession plan.

Let's not forget the conditions under which Bennett was performing at Newcastle - club disintegrating financially, substantial injuries, and of course, Alex McKinnon which Bennett rightly describes as the single most devastating event in his life.

On Griffin again ... give credit where its due. We are currently at sixth place on the ladder. Surely, no club has sacked a coach before going this well. But the Broncos is much more than a footy club - they are big business and what Rupert wanted Rupert got.

Bennett is too smart not to be thinking succession plan.

Let's not forget the conditions under which Bennett was performing at Newcastle - club disintegrating financially, substantial injuries, and of course, Alex McKinnon which Bennett rightly describes as the single most devastating event in his life.

On Griffin again ... give credit where its due. We are currently at sixth place on the ladder. Surely, no club has sacked a coach before going this well. But the Broncos is much more than a footy club - they are big business and what Rupert wanted Rupert got.
parra sacked anderson after he got them to a grand final!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
No idea, hope so.

Right now, it would be too premature to suggest that everything would be peachy. I don't expect everything to be perfect under Wayne and hope fans don't either.

There will be fans who believe simply having Bennett's name once more on the team sheet will mean at least another premiership. I for one am just anticipating a coach who will be decisive. I don't think Griffin was a gigantic failure, but even his staunchest supporters (well, maybe not White) would admit that the Hoffman experiment was a joke pushed too far. That was my biggest concern with Griffin - that he refused to make a decision and move on. Maybe he was just incapable of making the decision, but I don't think Bennett will have that problem.

hellteam

First Grade
I'm content because I can finally start 100% enjoying Broncos games again. It's been difficult this year, extremely obvious Griffin wasn't the right man for the job and was going to get the sack eventually. But we haven't been travelling too badly, so I almost felt myself wanting a loss every now and then to ensure we get a new coach in. Bit strange it came after our best win of the year.

Dazzat

First Grade
That was my biggest concern with Griffin - that he refused to make a decision and move on. Maybe he was just incapable of making the decision, but I don't think Bennett will have that problem.

And Barba. Can you imagine Bennett allowing Ben Barba to play at the standard he has for so long without dropping him? It would never happen under Bennett. Several rockets would have been fired by now.

Can't believe the tosh that's been handed out by Broncos players, telling us that Barba's been playing well, and just dropped a bomb or two!!! Fair dinkum. They've been playing us for mugs.

AceAv

Juniors
"I'm content because I can finally start 100% enjoying Broncos games again. "

This.

Kiwi

First Grade
No idea, hope so.

Yeah I don't think it'll be peachy at all. There will be hiccups and maybe just maybe this is hopefully heading towards a proper transition into the next coach. I know Bennett still wants to coach but who knows when that changes we could see him in a Gould style roll at ghe club which could make the transition easier.

My hope is we see a greater commitment to defense under Wayne, better team selections, players like Barba trimmed back down, and the team playing to it's strengths. Anything else like premierships are gravy and a bonus if they come.

oikee

Juniors
Yes, the Broncos play well so they can hang onto Hook for another 3 years. Being a good coach is not going to win you premierships. Bennett will sort out these players quick smart.
The beginning of the end for Griffith was the Cronulla game.
The club died a thousand deaths that match.
Bennett will get rid of the deadwood, put players on notice, and bring in a couple of players who will get us a premiership next year,,,,,, not another 5 year plan.
Our state is starving for success. PLus we are being robbed of all our talent as well because nobody can identify talent.
Crusher Cleal had been walking in and 'Cherry' picking all our best for years.

AceAv

Juniors
Not to mention the factor of players that WANT to be coached under WB. If you asked 100 rising stars who they would like to coach them when they start 1st grade I doubt any of them would say Griffin..