What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

grouch

First Grade
There's some cognitive dissonance there.. saying we're a "big club" but don't have the funds to attract a high profile coach. How is that possible? Let's forward this question to messrs Doust, O'Connor and co.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Anyone know how much the payout for Mary would be? Maybe they should sack the person who agreed to sign him as he would not be on a 3 year deal just on a wage like everyone else.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Anyone know how much the payout for Mary would be? Maybe they should sack the person who agreed to sign him as he would not be on a 3 year deal just on a wage like everyone else.

As a junior coach he should be on a juniors wage so somewhere around $12.50 p/hr i suspect would be about the right money. Seriously though i have no idea and have asked that question on here many times as i just cannot believe that we can't afford to pay him out and set him free.

With regards sacking the person who signed him, well, that means sacking at least 5 members of the board..........which is actually a good start.

Zucchini

Juniors
There's some cognitive dissonance there.. saying we're a "big club" but don't have the funds to attract a high profile coach. How is that possible? Let's forward this question to messrs Doust, O'Connor and co.

I had to google and I thought I had quite a good vocabulary......

cognitive dissonance
noun
PSYCHOLOGY
  1. the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioural decisions and attitude change.

Red V for life

Juniors
Got my Red V membership where do you want the money spent email today.

Unfortunately, the only 3 options were gps equipment, hammy strength/rehab equipment and upper body gym equipment.

Oh, how I wished there had been a 4th Mary related option.

denis preston

First Grade
Heard from a club insider ( staffer ) that Doust was very much against appointing Mary ( know that it has been said here before ) but did push for Price. Perhaps he learnt his lesson?

Dragons 09

Juniors
Heard from a club insider ( staffer ) that Doust was very much against appointing Mary ( know that it has been said here before ) but did push for Price. Perhaps he learnt his lesson?

You're right, he didn't want Mary, he was outvoted but still delivered the mandate. If he gets outvoted again, he will still deliver the mandate because he is too weak to stand up for his convictions and resign on principal. He will work within a structure he doesn't believe in simply to maintain his position.

Old Timer

Coach
You're right, he didn't want Mary, he was outvoted but still delivered the mandate. If he gets outvoted again, he will still deliver the mandate because he is too weak to stand up for his convictions and resign on principal. He will work within a structure he doesn't believe in simply to maintain his position.
Without trying to sound to knowledgeable the usual convention is that boards are democratic in respect of voting but when the decision is announced it is supposed to be somewhat unanimous and Doust would be well within his rights not to divulge how he voted or cross the line by dissenting in public.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Without trying to sound to knowledgeable the usual convention is that boards are democratic in respect of voting but when the decision is announced it is supposed to be somewhat unanimous and Doust would be well within his rights not to divulge how he voted or cross the line by dissenting in public.

Yep, i totally agree OT.

What i was getting at though, is Dousts' dual roles if we can call it that. One as a board member and the other as a CEO. He votes as a board member at which point he can cast an "against" vote to a certain motion, however, if that motion is passed, then as CEO he has to deliver it even if he has voted against it in the first place. Therefore with Mary, i believe he voted against his appointment but the motion was carried and Doust had to deliver it in his capacity as CEO.

The other option he had was to say. "i believe this is a poor decision which is not in the best interest of the club and therefore i will not be part of it and therefore hereby tender my resignation".

He has shown that he is prepared to deliver whatever motions are passed by the board even though he may not agree with them, so in response to Denis Prestons post that perhaps he has learnt his lesson, my original post was just suggesting that i don't believe anything will change. If the board unanimously vote to replace Mary with let's say Michael Hagan, even if Doust votes against his appointment, he will still remain as CEO and tell us what an exciting future we have with Hagan and how we are now on the path to success. Yes, i fully understand a CEO's role and as a CEO you are not always going to agree completely with all decisions of the board. But there comes a time when certain decisions go so far against what you truly believe in that you just have to say, "f**k it, i don't want my name attached to this inevitable train wreck, i'm out". I don't believe Doust has that sort of integrity within him.

Anyway, rant over, just give me a new coach and i'll shut up:D

dannyt

Coach
Anyway, rant over, just give me a new coach and i'll shut up:D

Very well said, but I get worried when I hear things like this last bit.

No one believed ANYONE was worse than Price- we were wrong.

We don't want to do "the impossible" and appoint someone worse than mary.

Carlton

Juniors
Today it seems every reporter is saying McGregor's staying. Also that Cleary's not coming to us.

Can someone who has some genuine inside information please tell me its not true that Mary's staying.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am hearing the opposite and most are saying Mary will be sacked. Cleary and Demitriou are the big whispers. Whether that is wishful Saints supporters spreading these rmours or whatever but I hope it happens. Sounds like Mary is gone but have a few things to get done first e.g NYC and Cutters finish their season (For Demitriou especially as their may be a huge coaching restructure and you don;t want to announce it before their seasons end), End of season awards ceremony ( You don;t wand ex-coaches holding a gripe attending these) and other end of year activities and finally the WIN takeover. I am sure when these things are over something will be done. ONly thing I am worried about is if Warriors snap up Cleary before us.

Like I have said before, if Saints have got money to spend on players which they do with all these guys leaving (Rein, Benji, Creagh and Farrel to name a few), It;s best to spend on a quality coach and paying out Mary. The cattle is there and with a decent coach will deliver a better season that the 2016.

Red V for life

Juniors
Today it seems every reporter is saying McGregor's staying. Also that Cleary's not coming to us.

Can someone who has some genuine inside information please tell me its not true that Mary's staying.
We're on a flogging to nothing with the media. They'll spew out any BS to sell papers etc and Dragons fans wanting Mary gone are an easy target. I highly doubt any of them really have any "info" which is not surprising as the Board sure as sh!t have shown they have no idea what they're doing.

Reality and the fact of the matter is Mary is currently coach for next season. The papers will continue speculating, but if Mary survives the chop, then the papers will turn their speculation to how many games he has in 2017 to save his job and on and on it will go.

So strap in Carlton, we could be in for a painfully long and frustrating drawn-out ride.

Lethal25

Juniors
Sounds like the issue is not McGregors payout but rather paying an incoming coach. They want Cleary but his price is out of their range, they can try another rookie but what if that fails then they're back to square one. It may well end up being easier to keep the current coach despite the damage it's clearly doing to the club.

Where's Bruce Gordon gone? They need to find a way to get Cleary over the line

St Georgio

Juniors
Like I said before this will become one of the greatest threads of all time, if not greatest,if we don't have a new coach for 2017, If we miss out on Clearly because of lack of movement, I am sure Brian Smith should and could be plan B!

Carlton

Juniors
Hi Red V for life,
Yeh, I know, but the anticipation is killing me. Its like when you were a kid and you were waiting for the school holidays to start.

Can someone just get rid of the coach and then worry about the hole, we cant be any worse off letting the players coach amongst themselves, they could take turns. (tongue in cheek).

Coffs dragon

Bench
If that Mary McWreckor prick is still in charge for kick off 2017.....there will be a riot of the 4000 fans at our first match. Surely the Board and Doust could not be that inactive and gutless to let him stay on as a favour to Oconnor and the other Steelers arse wipers.

Latest posts