What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Nathan Brown

Benek

Juniors
Guys I don't think Browny is going anywhere. We've chopped and changed coaches too much since Clearly left. I'd be excited by Flanno, but otherwise there are no great coaches available. The last thing we need to do is fire Brown before having secured a world-class coach to replace him. I reckon he sees out his contract.

Tongue

Juniors
Crystal-Balling - with a home winning percentage of +55%, and 12 homes games missed - if we gave brown a conservative 4-5 home wins, or 8-10 competition points, we would be on 26-28 points on the ladder.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Crystal-Balling - with a home winning percentage of +55%, and 12 homes games missed - if we gave brown a conservative 4-5 home wins, or 8-10 competition points, we would be on 26-28 points on the ladder.
With all clubs missing them the past couple of months you’d need to crystal ball some extra points in there too for them, not that the Storm need any who have barely played a game in Melbourne for 2 seasons !

Reactions: JJ

nswarrior

Juniors
The team has gone backwards over the last couple of months. They have become worse at the very basics - line speed on defence, gain momentum through the middle before trying the fancy stuff. In the last game the team looked like headless chooks

It was embarrassing to watch and just made the recruitment of a star or 2 with the RTS money that much harder

Brown and his assistants look like absolute amateurs.

Sorry if it seems harsh but that’s what I saw and there are always some reasons or excuses.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
One of the big things that stick out for me is that almost all of our coaches (10 out of 13) have had at most 2 years before we’ve moved them on. I know some of these have been care taker coaches but still, it’s an alarming stat. I’m glad we have Kearney the a real chance for us to see his worth before moving him on.

Apart from the Knights, it seems that Browns record is generally okay - at least for us. I’d happily take someone with just over 50% winning for now while we re build.
This year is an absolute disaster for any new coach. 2nd year away from home, no real home games, and the injury toll we’ve faced. Despite this, we’ve still shown heart and been competitive in all but 3 games of the season. We really should have won at least 3 more games, but that always seems to be the way it goes.

Next year, there’s no excuses for Brown and if he doesn’t get us to the finals he will be sacked for sure. Like many are already saying though, that’s pointless unless there’s someone better to take us further.

Rich102

Staff member
Sadly his win record with us is way, way below 50%.
Only DA was above that.

Campion

Juniors
not saying Nathan Brown is a good coach but i think any coach would struggle with the situations he faced. all the disruptions the players had with moving their kids to schools etc -- that's gonna play on their mind in training. you aren't getting the best out of them in those circumstances.

Penrose_11

Juniors
We tried bringing in Gus to help oversee things but that obviously didn’t pan out as expected. What about looking to bring in Bennett in a role as a mentor to Brown? We’re in Brissy next year and he’s heading back there as well. He had a great rapport with the Kiwi’s team (2008??). After this season i can’t see any real downsides. Except maybe Browns ego taking a hit

JJ

Immortal
We tried bringing in Gus to help oversee things but that obviously didn’t pan out as expected. What about looking to bring in Bennett in a role as a mentor to Brown? We’re in Brissy next year and he’s heading back there as well. He had a great rapport with the Kiwi’s team (2008??). After this season i can’t see any real downsides. Except maybe Browns ego taking a hit
Brown rather publicly tore into Bennett and his extra marital activities so not an option I’d imagine…. Something about little Wayne doing the thinking…

Meth

Staff member
Surely, if Brown stays, his assistants have to change.

I disagree. If Brown stays, he gets to choose his assistants. No point hiring a head coach and then not allowing him to set the course.

I have my doubts about Brown, but he has to be given a fair amount of time to execute his plan. We won't get any better right now and certainly not if we keep on prematurely axing coaches

JJ

Immortal
I disagree. If Brown stays, he gets to choose his assistants. No point hiring a head coach and then not allowing him to set the course.

I have my doubts about Brown, but he has to be given a fair amount of time to execute his plan. We won't get any better right now and certainly not if we keep on prematurely axing coaches
Hmm, guess we’re stuck with his family and friends

Brown 269 games coached without winning a premiership. (Ivan 367 games)
Buzz on NRL360 said coaches have won a premiership within 250 Games or haven't won one.

TheDMC

Bench
I'd take Flanagan in a heart beat. Thought he was an absolute cockwomble (though good coach) while at Sharks, but love his analysis on Fox. Smart dude. But otherwise, may as well stick with Brown for awhile otherwise it will just be another crap coach. If after Brown there still isn't a really good option, feck it let's go full noise and get the Walker brothers on board and reshape and become an attacking machine.

Rich102

Staff member
Interesting stats from Buzz on NRL 360.
This was brought up in relation to Ivan but I noticed another name of interest on the list.

"Most games coached without a premiership:
Brian Smith 601
Ivan Cleary 367
Graham Murray 331
Arthur Holloway 286
Nathan Brown 269

No coach has won a premiership without winning one in his first 250 games."

Of interest, three of those coaches have been associated with the Warriors.

JJ

Immortal
Interesting stats from Buzz on NRL 360.
This was brought up in relation to Ivan but I noticed another name of interest on the list.

"Most games coached without a premiership:
Brian Smith 601
Ivan Cleary 367
Graham Murray 331
Arthur Holloway 286
Nathan Brown 269

No coach has won a premiership without winning one in his first 250 games."

Of interest, three of those coaches have been associated with the Warriors.
Kind of bullshit stats though, clearly those guys could all coach but came up against better teams when they made grand finals . Brown is the outlier, had decent cattle at the Dragons but wasn’t up to it… did well in the UK, and with poor teams in the NRL hasn’t been up to it. Guys that coach that many games tend to have very good records, but I could as how many games since Bennett’s last premiership?

I might be in the minority in thinking Smith was a great coach, losing grand finals to great teams or great performances doesn’t change that for me.

Cleary has a real chance to win one soon, doesn’t want to waste it

Latest posts